5 Year Drivers Licence In Ubon Ratchathani

sezzo

I was at our local Motor Registery in Khemarat (Ubon Ratchathani) yesterday while the wife got her licence and asked if it was still possible to get 5 year licence. My current 5 year licence is up for renewal in June. I was told that Khemarat no longer will issue farangs with 5 year licences. Only 1 year licences are available for farangs there.

My question here is, is there anyone in Ubon who has been issued a 5 year extension of their drivers licence recently. If so, what do you need at Ubon to get your licence ie. Immigration letter re - place of residence, doctors certificate etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

They might want to see a work permit in Ubon. You can get a doctor's note at a small clinic for around 60 baht. If Ubon doesn't work out for you, try it in Sisaket. A valid Non-B, or O is okay, no letter from Immigration needed.Anything stating your address like a bill from TOT will be fine.

You'll have to make the "test", which is a joke, watch a 1 hour movie in Thai about dangerous Thai roads and pay for it. I wouldn't say to bribe them, but some coffee money isn't corruption.Good luck!

Got my 5 year in Ubon. No test just provided old 1 year license, doctors report, proof of residence, passport. Think that was all. My mrs got hers there but had to watch a video on how to drive on the wrong side of the road with out killing herself. cowboy.gif

Got my 5 year in Ubon. No test just provided old 1 year license, doctors report, proof of residence, passport. Think that was all. My mrs got hers there but had to watch a video on how to drive on the wrong side of the road with out killing herself. cowboy.gif

Yes no problem - bring your current driving licence, letter from immigration, medical attest, and possible Tabien Baan (yellow book)

Yes no problem - bring your current driving licence, letter from immigration, medical attest, and possible Tabien Baan (yellow book)

If have a yellow book (proof of residence), I assume no letter from immigration is required or does one show the yellow book to immigration for their letter ?.

If have a yellow book (proof of residence), I assume no letter from immigration is required or does one show the yellow book to immigration for their letter ?.

Letter from immigration is needed for any driving licence. The yellow book is needed to get a 5 year licence, - at least that was the requirements for me last time in Det Udom. biggrin.png

Letter from immigration is needed for any driving licence. The yellow book is needed to get a 5 year licence, - at least that was the requirements for me last time in Det Udom. biggrin.png

I find it almost impossible to predict what a Thai agency will need by way of documentation. I usually try to factor in a reconnoitre visit before I apply for anything. My wife is no good at getting details on the phone, because her Thai mentality requires her to substitute her own expectations for what she has been told when recounting the detail of a phone call to me!

That's why we turned up at the Ubon passport office to apply for my 2 month old's passport without the baby in tow, having had a fierce 'discussion' about the likelihood of such a requirement. Bless her though she's so humbly apologetic (but never learns) whenhit-the-fan.gif

Got my 5 year with no yellow book. Just been informed if have a yellow book no letter is needed.

Had to make my "test" to receive my second five years license. Had been on crutches, but still faster than any locals doing the brake reaction test. Lol. Some of them needed five times to make it in time. Most of us slept during the "movie" about Thailand's road safety. The lady was asking me afterwards if I understood all. "Phom kau tchai took sing, took Yang leo, na khrap." No yellow book, no letter from Immigration, but a work permit, which is often very helpful though.

Didn't protect me from getting almost killed by a speeding Thai in a Pick Up......jap.gif

Renewed my 5 year a couple of weeks ago in Ubon at the Ring Road location and needed two things, my passport and yellowbook. They filled out the application and I signed it. The place was packed with people but I was in and out in about 30 minutes.

Edited by mosan

I did mine recently at the office in the bottom floor of the Sunee Grand. Quick, painless, and no waiting. I needed the medical form, old one year license, and yellow book. I had work permit and passport, but was not asked for it.

You mean the Sunee Hotel in Ubon ?

I just went there last week to renew my drivers license.

They gave me 5 years, everything was prepared and ready. But then they saw that i had a tourist visa. Then they started to discuss internally about the rules. There were two ladies who were supiriors, one said 5 years and the other said 1 year. But the ended up giving me 1 year. If i had a non-O or non-B, then they would have given me 5 years.

I did mine recently at the office in the bottom floor of the Sunee Grand. Quick, painless, and no waiting. I needed the medical form, old one year license, and yellow book. I had work permit and passport, but was not asked for it.

You mean City Mall right? (The mall next to Sunee). Is it the corner room at the basement where also TOT has an office?

You mean City Mall right? (The mall next to Sunee). Is it the corner room at the basement where also TOT has an office?

I swung by there today; it appears to be temporarily closed.

I swung by there today; it appears to be temporarily closed.

They are in a bar near my place. drunk.gif

• 3 months later...

Just renewed my 5 year licence at Ubon on friday and thought I would update the forum on the latest requirements. About 3 weeks ago when I went to do my 90 day reporting I asked for the letter from immigration stating that I live in Ubon on a Non Imm visa. I was informed that they do not give them out anymore but that I had to go to the licence office and get a letter/form from them to request from Immigration verification that I qualify to have a 5 year licence.

I got the form from Licence office and went to Phibun immigration and quickly received the verification from them.

Next day I went to the licence office and gave them the letter with a photocopy of my passport and visa page, as well as my old licence. I then had to sit through the hour long lecture (in thai) and then proceeded back to the desk to pay for the licence. 15 mins later I had the licence in hand.

There was no requirement for medical certificate, no colour perception test, no braking test. I was also informed that the 5 year licence can be renewed up to 3 months before the expiry date. Overall it was a very easy process.

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...

I must be 1 of the unlucky one's as I have just tried to renewed my licence from a 1 year to a 5 year. I could only get another 1 year licence, there excuse was new law for farang, you only get 1 year from now on. Even though they made me drive to Amnat Charoen, from Loeng Nok Tha to get a letter from Immigration. Even though I took my passport and I showed them my marriage visa Plus all the copies of the usual paper work. It did not matter to them.

New law they kept saying. So I went to another licencing dept and they assured me they would give me a 5 year licence next year... we shall see!

Aroon.