Crate

baloo

we are thinking of using a crate to housetrain our dog. we would keep it either in a room of the house or in the garden.

however is thailand too hot to keep a dog in a crate all night? otherwise maybe she could be attached to something near her bed so she has restricted mobility at sleeping time?

use the wire crate type; here in israel i crate my male boxer (squishy nosed type) and in summer more than an hour and he's overheated so i have to use the a.c.... its the kennelaire plastic type crate... he came with it from finland but would have preffered the wire crate type also he would have visibility and u can put sheet over if u want no visibility or create 'cave like' atmosphere that some dogs prefer...

if you do live water in the crate at night, would our dog be able to hang on till the morning before coming out of the crate?

this is cos we are trying to housetrain him and so are closing him in to the crate at night to control his outings......

How would you like to be kept in a crate all night?

To house train your dog and by this I assume that you mean to train the dog so that it does not urinate etc in the house then you should put it out at regular intervals and look after it by staying with it until it has performed it`s toilet duties.

If your dog does make a mistake and does it in the house then you should be firm with the dog, take it to where it has made the mess and tell it that it is naughty. At the same time hold down the dog`s nose as this is what it`s birth mother would have done when it is naughty. You should then immediately put the dog outside and stay with it for a while.

The dog will soon get the message that it is not allowed to do it`s the toilet in the house.

You should also prepare a place for your dog to sleep that is comfortable, clean and has adequate water.

Do not let your dog sit with you whilst you are eating or the dog will always expect this and this can be annoying.( unless of course you want it to).

And don`t forget to make sure that your dog gets plenty of excercise thus ensuring that it has a good nights sleep. :o

pattaya, sorry but thats not the way...dogs dont recognize that peeing etc is wrong... a mother doesnt punish her pup for peeing in the wrong spot, she justs eats it up... the peeing away from the eating/sleeping area is instinctive therefore crates, small corners of rooms, small bathroom areas etc are good for teaching this... most dogs at a very young age move away from sleeping/feeding area (mother's den) to pee so young pups will go away a small amount of steps from whelping area... an older pup a little farther, etc.... so the crate does the same thing...

crating is very effective (same as a cave).... just remember that younger puppies need outings more frequently... u can also just corner off part of a room (fence it in kind of) to the same purpose... small and secure of course...with food and water at one end of t he area near sleeping pad/rug ... most dogs dont pee in middle of night, they sleep but they do get up earlier and have to pee, just like small children... my male wakes me up everyday at 7:oo a.m. he cant wait... the bitch can wait longer...

A wire crate is the way to go and make sure that the dog/puppy has plenty of room to turn around inside it.

Take the puppy outside at regular intervals to pee and stay with it until it does and praise it and bring back inside.

Sorry, Foxy, I can't agree with your methods. :o

pattaya, sorry but thats not the way...dogs dont recognize that peeing etc is wrong... a mother doesnt punish her pup for peeing in the wrong spot, she justs eats it up... the peeing away from the eating/sleeping area is instinctive therefore crates, small corners of rooms, small bathroom areas etc are good for teaching this... most dogs at a very young age move away from sleeping/feeding area (mother's den) to pee so young pups will go away a small amount of steps from whelping area... an older pup a little farther, etc.... so the crate does the same thing...

crating is very effective (same as a cave).... just remember that younger puppies need outings more frequently... u can also just corner off part of a room (fence it in kind of) to the same purpose... small and secure of course...with food and water at one end of t he area near sleeping pad/rug ... most dogs dont pee in middle of night, they sleep but they do get up earlier and have to pee, just like small children... my male wakes me up everyday at 7:oo a.m.  he cant wait... the bitch can wait longer...

Yes thank you for your information about what the mother does with regard to the puppy mess........I fully appreciate that young dogs at first do not recognise that peeing in the house is wrong that`s why they have to be trained rather than put into a cage which will probably stink if not cleaned very regularly

When a puppy has been naughty or done something that displeases it`s birth mother then the mother dog will put it`s paw on the puppies nose and push downwards. This is a sign that she is not pleased with the puppy. If you follow this line and tell it firmly that it has done wong and then put it outside it will soon learn that it is not to make any mess in the house and will soon become housetrained.

I have used this method on many occasions with young puppies.

Having bred gundogs in the uk over a period of 20 years for showing I appreciate how important it is to have dogs house trained as soon as possible.

But if you want to put your young dog into a cage in the house then that is your choice....but in the past I have not found that course of action to be necessary ( but everyone to their own method) and all my dogs have become wonderful house trained cuties.

to every dog, five methods.....also different breeds respond differently... my boxers needed work methods that fit their fun, bouncy, puppy personalities... the canaanis are serious and independant and dont give a fig about people or play, but they are also much more instinctive in behavior patterns so that was useful too...

i also found that mine were self regulating, the peeing inside just stopped on its own:

half hour after eating/drinking, waking up, or playing, put the pup outside in same area, let it pee (i tell them 'make pee pee' or whatever so they do it now on commmand, useful for when its raining... they always always pee first then play/work ....

my male has prostate problems so pees a lot im not home so he's been taught to go in to the bathroom to pee in the shower.... so he doesnt suffer, and doesnt pee all over the house....

the trick is to just stick with a method, and preservere, keep the same rules, dont loose temper and be fair: puppies are babies ...

If your dog does make a mistake and does it in the house then you should be firm with the dog, take it to where it has made the mess and tell it that it is naughty. At the same time hold down the dog`s nose as this is what it`s  birth mother would have done when it is naughty. You should then immediately put the dog outside and stay with it for a while.

:o In what age are you living, the middle ages!!!??? This method is very oldfashioned!!! If you get angry with your dog or put his nose in the mess he has made, he will eventually try to pee in secret spots or even eat the mess it has made!!! Just put your dog outside on a regular bases and praise it when it has done the job! Never ever rub his nose in it! :D Just clean the mess and don't show the dog your emotions. If you catch him peeing in the house, just take him up and put him outside.

> In what age are you living, the middle ages!!!??? This method is very

> oldfashioned!!! If you get angry with your dog or put his nose in the mess

> he has made, he will eventually try to pee in secret spots or even eat the

> mess it has made!

Not in my experience. It's perfectly normal to 'punish' a dog when it makes a mistake. That's how dogs learn, too. The other side is indeed praise when he does it right.

Also some dogs need to be reminded who's boss..

"Those liberal pansies took all the common sense out of raising kids, are they now going to do the same for raising dogs!!!? " :o

Kidding. Partly.

If your dog does make a mistake and does it in the house then you should be firm with the dog, take it to where it has made the mess and tell it that it is naughty. At the same time hold down the dog`s nose as this is what it`s  birth mother would have done when it is naughty. You should then immediately put the dog outside and stay with it for a while.

:o In what age are you living, the middle ages!!!??? This method is very oldfashioned!!! If you get angry with your dog or put his nose in the mess he has made, he will eventually try to pee in secret spots or even eat the mess it has made!!! Just put your dog outside on a regular bases and praise it when it has done the job! Never ever rub his nose in it! :D Just clean the mess and don't show the dog your emotions. If you catch him peeing in the house, just take him up and put him outside.

Who said anything about rubbing his nose in it? I certainly did not. This is definitely NOT recommended. :D

had an other thread somewhere in the issaan forum about that:

its a basic dog: in israel, called the canaan dog, in thailand very similar to the village dogs, its the prototype dog.. i think elfe or sbk had pics of her dogs.... light weight, long nose, basic colours, good hunters, double coat, you can google and find good info... i think the thai ridgeback also came in the prototype category... they are the closest thing to the original wild dogs... not feral but wild... good genetics (strong healthy and very instinctive a bit hard to work with very independant animals).... i think elfe or sbk has pictures somehwer of their thai dogs...