Challenge "Moon Shot"

Kan Win

http://www.thaivisa....14-orange-moon/

From this very good topic above maybe we could have a challenge.

Up to you folks.

Should you take part in this one please state your camera, lens, date and place where the photo was take.

Win wai.gif

P.S.

Nothing to stop you suggesting a topic and kicking off a competition.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

post-3770-0-99984100-1332848127_thumb.jp

Camera: Olympus E-3

Captured: Dec 12, 2008

Focal length: 300 mm, Hand held violin.gif

Shutter speed: 1/320 sec

Aperture: F6.3

ISO: 100

Lens Zuiko 70 -300 mm

Edited the photo in ACDSee Pro 3.0

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry, forgot to add the camera details in my last post. Nikon D5100, Lens 18-105mm / f3.5-5.6. Taken 26/11/12 NSW Australia.

Picture 1. Exposure 8sec at F3.5 / Focal length 18mm / ISO 800

Picture 2. Exposure 1/320sec at 5.6 / Focal length 105mm / ISO 100.

Regards Bill.

Both Taken with Lumix G2

Moon and tree shot just from my hammock, as the moon rose on Koh Tao regular lens and turned exposure down to get silhouette.

post-18852-0-37184600-1354889347_thumb.g

Close up shot taken with 200MM lens and tripod, cant remember the setting (sorry) but was playing with exposure times and F-stop and this was best shot.

post-18852-0-45631700-1354889319_thumb.g

Both Taken with Lumix G2

Moon and tree shot just from my hammock, as the moon rose on Koh Tao regular lens and turned exposure down to get silhouette.

post-18852-0-37184600-1354889347_thumb.g

Close up shot taken with 200MM lens and tripod, cant remember the setting (sorry) but was playing with exposure times and F-stop and this was best shot.

post-18852-0-45631700-1354889319_thumb.g

Those are really cool shots. I guess I need to think outside the box and try different styles.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Afterwards, when I had already left the place I figured out that I should have used the camera settings for the moon and simply use the flash to show the lantern as well.

Yep, flash fill would have helped a lot. Even if you use it, you will still have an issue with focus. Foreground or moon? Would need to set a high aperture to be sure you get close to infinity or DOF will put you back to square one.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

So cameras out this Sunday as the Moon will be the closes to Earth this year at approx 2-3% larger. This Moon should start to be seen at around 6.11 pm, if the report that I read is correct in our local Thai-English newspapers.

Will be ready with me 70-300mm lens and Oly E-5.

Hope the clouds in Kan will be kind enough to move on. facepalm.gif

Win w00t.gif

@Pekka Oilinki It is posters like you that inspire me to think out of the box.

wai.gif

[edit] What is the yellow curl on the underside of the moon in post #36?

With that long of a lens my guess is vignetting.

wai.gif

It was natural vignetting, then. After googling myself I learned vignetting is usually intentionally used as a feature.

But the way the shot came out, indeed made me feel i could go ski in one of those craters.. Pardon my Frenchwhistling.gifSuksi vittuun, is the proper translation, I presume..wink.pnglaugh.png

Yours,

But the way the shot came out, indeed made me feel i could go ski in one of those craters.. Pardon my French:whistling:Suksi vittuun, is the proper translation, I presume..wink.pnglaugh.png

Yours,

Suksia means to ski, but about the whole sentence, you might need to a word with your Finnish teacher.

That's the last warning before knifes are taken in to the play if said angrily to a stranger or to a person we don't like. Then again, if said to a friend it softens to much milder way to say bugger off.

It was meant as a joke.. Thanks for your politeness..sad.png

wai.gif

I need to correct myself, I meant to suggest chromatic aberration aka purple fringing. Normally it is a purple fringe around an object with very long lenses but doesn't necessarily have to be purple if the image was color modified any. My apologies for the incorrect terminology, rushed my reply.

The SX50HS is prone to this due to the extreme zoom.

"By 1200mm, heavy chromatic aberrations put multi-coloured halos around high-contrast details that were visible even after we'd resized to fit a computer screen."

Review

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived