I Will Stop Smoke With Quomem / Zyban

george

Time to stop smoke - again....

I have been a heavy smoker for some 20 years. I was smoke free for 2 years, but started again just a month ago. Stupid me.

I rapidly started smoking 3 packs (60 cigs a day). No good! Morning cough and bad smell. My aim is to be smoke free again by December 31, 2005. New Year - no cigs!

My help will be the revolutionary medicine called Quomem/Zyban...

Read more in my blog, today is Day 1:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/blog/george

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George I quit several months ago after 19 years, 20+ a day for at least 10 of those. I feel great & healthy I smell better, can taste better, have more energy & am saving a fortune. Stick with it. I used NiQuitin patches 21mg fo 2 months then used nothing. Stay strong & think of your health, as a diabetic you can't afford to take chances :o

60 a day though, you don't me to tell you its well needed.

Good luck fella.

redrus

ps: I smoke when I drink, even though its not a lot. Its still not good. Didn't want you to think I was none smoker that doesn't know what its like.

Good luck! I smoke about a pack a day. The last time I quit I used Quomem and stopped for three months. (They do help). After that three months I wanted a cigarette as bad as I wanted one after the first week. I guess you have to REALLY believe they are hurting you and really WANT to quit.

I quit a few years ago after smoking on and off for about 18 years.

One thing that helped was developing a fitness (workout) plan to go along with my quit smoking plan. Running, calisthenics, and stregnth building exercise helped me to feel good about getting my body in shape. When the cravings hit, feeling good about exercising helped me to over come them and stay smoke free.

Good luck George. I hope your successful. Quitting smoking is difficult but it is not impossible. You can do it.

Good luck George.

I hope to see you at the wedding without a pack of ciggies in the top pocket.

Maybe I should offer you some incentive as well... :o

I know you're a Chang man... but maybe something else?

seem i 'd quit too ...

1st Jan 06 is my deal

my parents and BF cought me up..they are upset ...(im not addict yet) ..

Dad got heart attact 2 yrs ago, coma , lived in CCU ...really scary ..he smoked much ..but after that he quit

I'd stop , methinks

goodluck george and other smoky-dudey membs who would love to quit :o

Edited by BambinA

I have been a heavy smoker for some 20 years. I was smoke free for 2 years, but started again just a month ago. Stupid me.

I rapidly started smoking 3 packs (60 cigs a day). No good! Morning cough and bad smell. My aim is to be smoke free again by December 31, 2005. New Year - no cigs!

I tried to quit a few times, but the longest I could go was one month. Then I went on Zyban. They say you need to take the medicine 2 to 4 weeks before trying to stop. After about two weeks, I quit.

Zyban really helps you with the cravings, but it won't make you want to stop. You have to want to stop smoking on your own. My doctor recommended taking Zyban for six months after I quit. I will caution you that it was difficult getting off Zyban as well. It takes a while to get used to not having an antidepressant in your system.

Good luck George.

Far from "revolutionary" George, Quomem/Zyban has been around for quite awhile. It will <deleted> you up no end!!! If you really want to stop Then Stop. Why would you want to replace one chemical with another :o Your BLOG is great reading, and I hope to see a prefix to each days entry that says " I didnt SMOKE today, because I didnt want to" Get your fat arse off the computer chair and spend a bit more time outside. Smell the roses, so to speak. Get rid of the FAT food, eat fruit and vegies, lean meats and small quantities of red wine. Exercise to your limit (and then some) and maybe the occasional cigar (with the red wine of course) :D and you stand a big chance of keeping both of your legs for a long time to come :D

Just read your blog George, the VERY, VERY best of luck to you. I'll be following your progress on the Quomem/Zyban very closely.

I also smoke and intend to give up in the New Year. I go back to LOS in a couple of weeks or so and it will be impossible for me to give in whilst there, as i'll have too much free time. Not an excuse, just reality.

I'll probably end up needing patches, gum, zyban, acupuncture and hypnosis, all at the same time :o but if it does the trick i'll try anything. :D

Edited by mrbojangles

The hardest thing i ever accomplished in my life and hopefully will save me 10 years of my life.

I smoked for the best part of 35 years 40 a day in the end.

This is how I gave them up.

When I first saw my grandson I held him in my arms looking at the tiny hands and my son said to me Dad you will be able to teach him how to fish when he grows up just like you taught me.

Yes I said.

Traveling home and 4 cigs later on a 20 min drive the one time in my life that I realized that there was no way that I would see not to mind teach that child how to fish when he was older.

That was the moment with 15 cigs left in the box I binned them now I have a fighting chance.

I was 50 now nearly 16 months later I am still off them.

I was told that it was willpower Yes but also the power to live to at least leave some memories.

Life is so short live it don’t burn it away.

George,

I have smoked for 45 years, and plan to quit New Years as i do every year.  This time i mean it, but am still woried about the weight gain.  Is this drug available all over Thailand, since i live in the North??

I know it's available in Chiangmai, specifically Chiangmai Ram I hospital.

George,

I have smoked for 45 years, and plan to quit New Years as i do every year.  This time i mean it, but am still woried about the weight gain.  Is this drug available all over Thailand, since i live in the North??

ZYABAN is not for everyone. The side effects for somepeople are horrendous :D

The main known side effects of Zyban are shakiness, skin rash, dry mouth, confusion, anxiety, anorexia and dizziness. There are a few other side effects, that may go away during treatment, include restlessness, agitation, dizziness, dry mouth, insomnia, headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation, change in weight, confusion, anorexia, anxiety or tremor. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. Zyban may cause manic episodes with bipolar manic depression.

The rate of other side effects is controversial. We didn't find exact information on the number of people who experience seizures or serum sickness (a feverish state in which the person experiences joint pain). We did find concerns about the drug's interaction with alcohol and other medications.

The chance of seizure increases if you use alcohol, sedatives, cocaine, over the counter stimulants or if you have a seizure disorder (like epilepsy), an eating disorder (such as bulimia or anorexia nervosa), take more than the recommended amount of this medicine, or take other medicines with the same active ingredient, such as Wellbutrin or Wellbutrin SR.

However, for some people there are NO side effects and they end up giving the coffin nails away for ever (best case senario) If you do suffer from any of the mentioned side effects whilst trying to stop smoking with Zyban, consult your Doctor.

Some comments from ZYBAN users:

After 4-5 days of taking this drug I began to feel spaced out, withdrawn, nervous and emotional. During the period between day 4 and day 7, I basically felt as though my brain was being twisted inside my skull - almost like a chemical labotomy! Due to not feeling present in the here and now, my ability to do the most basic things were affected - even a simple crossword or helping my daughter with her year 5 math homework became stretching to me - if you take it be prepared for Zombification!

After taking this drug three days I could def. feel the zyban in my blood, made my mind go loopy, ups and downs everyday. Hives showed up sunday morn at 5a.m. (11 days after starting zyban) got progressivly worse all day long and then on sunday night I could hardly walk at all, hives just covered me, joints ached. Had to go the ER and get pumped full of steroids to ease the hives, total quit smoking cost over $2000 + 1 Crazy Mind Trip, and worth every bit of it to Me!

Irregular sleep patterns, weird dreams from day 5, more energy, slightly dizzy with headaches, rash on my hands day 6,mood swings and irretabill, not interested in sex - but go on for hours when intimate. :o

I had a friend in Australia that used this chemical to try and stop smoking. I watched him go from a happy smoker (who wanted to stop) to a suicidal manic depressive in about 3 months :D:D

Be careful, very careful, for what you wish for :D

I've been smoking since I was 16 (I'm now 56). When I was at sea I was smoking 40-50 a day. 15 years ago I had one session of hypnosis and I've not smoked nor have I ever had the desire to smoke since. Best 55 quid I ever spent :o

Good George, i stop to , must be around three months , did not start to count the day as i know i will not smoke again ! LOL

Did stop for many reason, the main one is I want to died healthy and have good teeth.

Not my first try:

Did stop for 4 years once and start again and stop for two year and ..

BambinA: If you are not addicted yet (I have my doubts, everyone thinks he/she is not addicted).

Stop now not on 1st. Because as longer you wait as harder it gets. If you are not addicted yet, it shouldnt be a big deal to stop. If you can not, you know at least you are addiced......

Good luck

seem i 'd  quit too ...

1st Jan 06  is  my deal

my parents and  BF  cought me  up..they  are  upset ...(im not addict yet) ..

Dad got heart attact 2 yrs ago, coma , lived in CCU ...really scary ..he  smoked much ..but after that he  quit

I'd stop , methinks

goodluck george and  other  smoky-dudey  membs who would  love to quit :o

George,

Is Chaingmai Ram 1 the big white hospital in front of Central Shopping Centre, facing the moat? If so I am in luck as I know mostly all the Doctors and its time for me to quit to.

Good Luck George, I am a 40 a day man and its very very hard to stop, even cut down, like you I am diabetic , have hypertension etc etc, smoking is NOT a GOOD THING to do (and the price of my brand has just gone up 10 baht :o Thats an extra 7,300 baht a year down the drain to ad to the 47,459 already being spent :D

Is Chaingmai Ram 1 the big white hospital in front of Central Shopping Centre, facing the moat? If so I am in luck as I know mostly all the Doctors and its  time for me to quit to.

Yes ThaiPauly that's the place. It cost me about 3600.00 baht for a supply a couple of years ago.

Edited by tywais

Pauly: I was on 60 a day.

If you have the willpower to just stop 1 week without any replacement. After 1 week you won the battle, if you do not smoke 1 ciggi this 1 week.

And it is just a one time battle, after it, it gets relative easy to continue.

One hint: If your wife smokes a lot and you stop, you'll find out that she smells terrible......

George,

Is Chaingmai Ram 1 the big white hospital in front of Central Shopping Centre, facing the moat? If so I am in luck as I know mostly all the Doctors and its time for me to quit to.

Good Luck George, I am a 40 a day man and its very very hard to stop, even cut down, like you I am diabetic , have hypertension etc etc, smoking is NOT a GOOD THING to do (and the price of my brand has just gone up 10 baht :o Thats an extra 7,300 baht a year down the drain to ad to the 47,459 already being spent :D

ZYABAN is not for everyone. The side effects for somepeople are horrendous :D

The main known side effects of Zyban are shakiness, skin rash, dry mouth, confusion, anxiety, anorexia and dizziness. There are a few other side effects, that may go away during treatment, include restlessness, agitation, dizziness, dry mouth, insomnia, headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation, change in weight, confusion, anorexia, anxiety or tremor. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. Zyban may cause manic episodes with bipolar manic depression.

Irregular sleep patterns, weird dreams from day 5, more energy, slightly dizzy with headaches, rash on my hands day 6,mood swings and irretabill, not interested in sex - but go on for hours when intimate.  :o

I had a friend in Australia that used this chemical to try and stop smoking. I watched him go from a happy smoker (who wanted to stop) to a suicidal  manic depressive in about 3 months :D  :D

Be careful, very careful, for what you wish for :D

I don't like the potential side affects of this stuff. Maybe i will just "cold turkey" it. :D

Go, George, go! You've quit before, so you can do it again. And as you know, you're going to look, smell, and feel like a new person. It's going to be worth it, especially on 3 packs a day.

I am a mere social smoker, but even that slowly increases if I am not careful. I've recently stopped completely .... again. One method that is very effective for me is that I associate the disgusting head rush with smoking when I haven't smoked in a while and that stops me from smoking the next one.

My brother was also a 3-pack a day unfiltered Pall Malll guy, and he quit while walking around with at least 3 cigarettes in his shirt pocket. He said it was necessary for him to stop in the presence of cigarettes, because they were always going to be around.

Good luck George!

I've been smoking too much for too long. Though, I did quit for a span of 9 months about 13 years ago. At that time my marriage was on the rocks and I promised myself to quit smoking as a symbolic gesture to my wife that I could, indeed, change.

Very surprisingly, quitting turned out to be the simplest thing in the world. Never had a single withdrawal. I did notice that my success was due to not allowing myself to think about smoking - no sooner would I find myself imagining lighting up and the thought of my commitment would come to mind. It certainly helps to have a good reason to follow through with the commitment, like Bizz and his grandson. Teach that kid how to fish! :o

The marriage didn't work out in the end, and as a symbolic gesture to my soon-to-be ex that I could now do as I dam well pleased I bought a pack. What a fool! :D

Anyway, choke dee mak mak to all on your pledges!