I Will Stop Smoke With Quomem / Zyban

george

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can I buy Quomem / Zyban?
The simple truth is that no magic cure has ever " made " any smoker quit smoking nicotine. The key to immediate and lasting abstinence is education and understanding not hypnosis , not acupuncture and not some over-the-counter nicotine product that teaches absolutely nothing while robbing 93%of those who toy with clean-nicotine of a valuable opportunity to master the core principles underlying years of nicotine dependency. Remember, should all else fail, you always have you!

Source www.whyquit.com

I just picked up a supply of Zyban (Quomen).

I went to the Thai doctor that lives down the block to see if Zyban had to be purchased with a prescription as it does in Canada.

She phoned a friend at the Bangkok/Pattaya hospital, and he/she said I could come in Tuesday for a consultation and pick up a prescription for 5,000 baht !

The doctor then phoned her favourite pharmacy, who quoted her a price of 1,770 baht for a 1 month supply ! Apparently, if I had of walked in off the street to buy it, I would have been charged 2,500 for the same thing :D The doc then told her son to drive me to the pharmacy (on Sukumvit Road).

I've started trying to cut back on my own (using the method I described earlier where you note the time every time you light up, and try to go an extra minute or two longer before lighting up again). 8-10 days from now I should be quitting (again). Kind of goes against the grain though, as I'm not a quitter in other areas of my life :o

And, as a side note about how great the Thai people can be, I tried to pay the doctor for her time and she refused payment of any kind. I tried to pay her son a small fee for driving me to/from the pharmacy and was told it wasn't required.

So not only does she go out of her way (on a Sunday !) to get me a great deal on the prescription, she does it for free !

Kerryd,

I have tried the Quomem and it does seem to help. I just kept on forgetting to take them. Last Friday, I woke up and decided I didn't want to smoke. Went to 7-11 bought Halls lozenges and haven't smoked.

Don't know if it will work, going cold turkey, but I am breathing a little better this morning. Let's see how long I can go............................

ZYABAN is not for everyone. The side effects for somepeople are horrendous

The main known side effects of Zyban are shakiness, skin rash, dry mouth, confusion, anxiety, anorexia and dizziness. There are a few other side effects, that may go away during treatment, include restlessness, agitation, dizziness, dry mouth, insomnia, headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation, change in weight, confusion, anorexia, anxiety or tremor. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. Zyban may cause manic episodes with bipolar manic depression.

The rate of other side effects is controversial. We didn't find exact information on the number of people who experience seizures or serum sickness (a feverish state in which the person experiences joint pain). We did find concerns about the drug's interaction with alcohol and other medications.

The chance of seizure increases if you use alcohol, sedatives, cocaine, over the counter stimulants or if you have a seizure disorder (like epilepsy), an eating disorder (such as bulimia or anorexia nervosa), take more than the recommended amount of this medicine, or take other medicines with the same active ingredient, such as Wellbutrin or Wellbutrin SR.

However, for some people there are NO side effects and they end up giving the coffin nails away for ever (best case senario) If you do suffer from any of the mentioned side effects whilst trying to stop smoking with Zyban, consult your Doctor.

Some comments from ZYBAN users:

After 4-5 days of taking this drug I began to feel spaced out, withdrawn, nervous and emotional. During the period between day 4 and day 7, I basically felt as though my brain was being twisted inside my skull - almost like a chemical labotomy! Due to not feeling present in the here and now, my ability to do the most basic things were affected - even a simple crossword or helping my daughter with her year 5 math homework became stretching to me - if you take it be prepared for Zombification!

After taking this drug three days I could def. feel the zyban in my blood, made my mind go loopy, ups and downs everyday. Hives showed up sunday morn at 5a.m. (11 days after starting zyban) got progressivly worse all day long and then on sunday night I could hardly walk at all, hives just covered me, joints ached. Had to go the ER and get pumped full of steroids to ease the hives, total quit smoking cost over $2000 + 1 Crazy Mind Trip, and worth every bit of it to Me!

Irregular sleep patterns, weird dreams from day 5, more energy, slightly dizzy with headaches, rash on my hands day 6,mood swings and irretabill, not interested in sex - but go on for hours when intimate.

I had a friend in Australia that used this chemical to try and stop smoking. I watched him go from a happy smoker (who wanted to stop) to a suicidal manic depressive in about 3 months

Be careful, very careful, for what you wish for

I was thinking of buying that, but after reading the above not so sure.

I know a guy who just quit using valium to help, but that is a no no for me.

I've given up addictions to booze and legal/illegal drugs. Those who say nicotine is harder are wrong, IMHO. 2 or 3 days of feeling bad-tempered and figety. Nothing compared to DTs from booze and psychological torture for months coming off benzodiazepines or methadone.

I can do it, and will soon I hope.

I never experienced any problems the last time I used Zyban (2002 ?). Managed to quit for a whole 38 days (until I went to a formal dinner and ended up drinking with some smoking buddies) :o

Hoping to do better this time. I told Mama #1 last night that when I do quit, I wouldn't be coming back to her establishment again (too smoky, too much temptation). She just laughed. She knows I'll never be able to stay away for long.

I'll just try to prepare myself better this time if I do go drinking, and try to hand around people that don't smoke and in no-smoking areas (hmmm, in Pattaya ?).

• 3 weeks later...

Missed the early part of this thread from a while back, but catching up.

Great Blog George, and good luck to all who are struggling against this evil weed.

Plobrem: Somewhere in this thread there was mention of a (Zyban) first phase of around 20 or 21 days. Now, I did a Zyban course around 5 years ago and managed to stay clean for an amazing 10 weeks before stumbling. Ok so far, but as I recall, the first phase, which allows you to continue smoking normally, lasts for a week, after which you enter phase two, stop smoking, cold turkey, don't whinge, you knew it was coming, now just do it!

That's the way I recall from 5 years ago, and coincidence of coincidences, I started another Zyban course last Wednesday, which leaves me cold turkeying as I type...

It aint fun, fellas, but from my last visit to the no-smoke zone I can tell ya it's worth the struggle.

keda

That's the way I recall from 5 years ago, and coincidence of coincidences, I started another Zyban course last Wednesday, which leaves me cold turkeying as I type...

It aint fun, fellas, but from my last visit to the no-smoke zone I can tell ya it's worth the struggle.

keda

Yes, the Zyban program starts off at 1 pill a day for 3 days, then 2 pills a day from then on, while still smoking normally. They recommend quitting cold turkey around day 8-10.

As soon as I started on the pills, I also started trying to cut down on the amount I smoked everyday. Just by keeping track of when I had a cigarette, and then trying to go a little longer before having another, let me cut down from around 50 per day, to 18 per day when I got to my "cold turkey" day.

Broke down on my 1st day (had 2 cigarettes that day) and have been smoke free for the last 8 days now. I'm sure the Zyban is playing a large part with my success so far, as I'm sure from past experiences that my willpower isn't that great. :o

I've been sick with food poisoning and couldn't smake much as I wanted to throw up. Today, I am trying to make it one day nicotine free - the first for many years - first in Thailand actually.

Got through having breakfast and going to work without one.

Man it's tough now, is it worth it?

Made it until 11pm last night without one but gave in and had 3 - still not bad.

Haven't had one today yet and plan to maybe have 1 or 2 at night before bed.

I feel sorry for those around me today, man I'm in a bad mood!

Made it until 11pm last night without one but gave in and had 3 - still not bad.

Haven't had one today yet and plan to maybe have 1 or 2 at night before bed.

I feel sorry for those around me today, man I'm in a bad mood!

Today makes it 14 days since my last smoke. As I mentioned in the other thread, the first 2 days were the worst.

Now I find myself once in awhile wishing for a smoke, but not feeling the need for a cigarette. It hasn't been hard at all to resist temptation. I've even been skipping the Zyban now and then, not intentionally, but it doesn't seem to have any effect one way or the other.

Instead of having 1 or 2, try having just 1 and then going to sleep. If you can cut down to a couple a day, quitting all together should be pretty easy.

Good Luck to you George!!. I quit 8 years ago and feel much better for it. And to give you some incentive I offer you a Gentlemans wager for $1,000.00 that you cannot quit. If you start again you only pay me $500, if not then I will pay you $1,000.00 cold cash.

Oh what the heck! Same offer extended to all that quit recently or will do so within the next 7 days!

Edited by mouse

Good Luck to you George!!. I quit 8 years ago and feel much better for it. And to give you some incentive I offer you a Gentlemans wager for $1,000.00 that you cannot quit. If you start again you only pay me $500, if not then I will pay you $1,000.00 cold cash.

Oh what the heck! Same offer extended to all that quit recently or will do so within the next 7 days!

Just the incentive I need Mouse!

When do you give me the cash, or I you?

Very decent of you, thanks very much. :o