Sunday11th.

chang35baht

Sunday 11th behind the new jail, before Doi Hang, there is a large lake that the local people will open up for thai style fishing. It`s a once a year thing. 50 baht for "tok jam"( square lifting net) and I think 100 baht for people who want to " tot haaa".(throw a net). It all starts around 7.00am. Although the last 3 years that I have went we arrived at 06.30. Just as we started the fire to barbecue for our breakfast the gun goes off and we have to abandon the fire to run into the water with our nets

Come early to look.It`s great fun.

I will for 1 will be participating. Tot haaa.

It`s great to hear the roar go up when a poochai or a pooying has a big fish in their net and they are struggling to land it. everybody is encouraging them, the hollers and the whooping is so enjoyable and funny.

If you`ve never saw This sort of Thai fishing before on this sort of scale then I suggest you have a look.As I say it`s great fun but get there early as after 3-4 hours the fish start 2 dwindle.

If you don`t want to fish you can just come and look.

My cover will be blown as I will be the one throwing the net and catching myself ( biggest catch of the day).

There`s food and beer for sale from the wee small hours if your hung, over which will be my first purchase.

Tight lines :o

Edited by chang35baht

Sounds like a good one. :D

Our new gaff is only a stones throw away from the May-On Dam and on last visit got chatting to an old fisherman who was chucking his net "thaistyle"and seemed to be doing OK. (didnt think there would be any in a dam...big one)

I had the chance to go out in his wee boat and try it but visions of the "Titanic" started to appear.

Hes gonna arrange to build me a new one..ie wee boat (over the sea to Sky.......etc) so hopefully on next visit we will be tucking into Chiang Mai Thai- Fish & Chips.......

We have loads of oinions growing all over the joint so just got to find out how to pickle em...but the Mushy peas... :o ....interesting....... :D

Our new gaff is only a stones throw away from the May-On Dam and on last visit got chatting to an old fisherman who was chucking his net "thaistyle"and seemed to be doing OK. (didnt think there would be any in a dam...big one)

I had the chance to go out in his wee boat and try it but visions of the "Titanic" started to appear.

Hes gonna arrange to build me a new one..ie wee boat (over the sea to Sky.......etc) so hopefully on next visit we will be tucking into Chiang Mai Thai- Fish & Chips.......

We have loads of oinions growing all over the joint so just got to find out how to pickle em...but the Mushy peas... :D ....interesting....... :D

It`s so easy to build one yourself as those who have been to one of these events will know. A couple of old inner tubes from lorry tyres, some bamboo poles tied around them and then nail your standing area on top of the bamboo. And there you have it, a perfect surface from which to throw your net and immediately follow it into the water because you forgot to let go of the ###### thing.

AS I said before, great fun. And the interaction with the Thais, Who are amazed to see me there in the first place, is brilliant.

Throwing the net is the art though. There are different diameters. The Thais measure it in lengths from elbow to fingertips(sok).

The art is to throw the net so that when it lands in the water it is perfectly round, thus it sinks to the bottom and captures any fish within.

I myself throw it in many different shapes. But still get away with landing the biggest fish of the day( for which there is a prize by the way).

I hope I am not the only farang face on sunday. That way I can assured one of us will be me.

:o

Not into netting.  If you can't get them off a cast/baiting, it really isn't fishing. :D

I Know where you are coming from MJ. But define "fishing". At least when the Thais fish It`s done for one reason only, namely as a food source. Nothing is wasted and it`s not done in the name of "sport". come to think of it, Thai fishing is a lot more athletic than western style. Tennis v snooker comes to mind.

I suspect that the way that the Thai(Asian) people fish has been going on for umpteen centuries long before rods and hooks were invented.

They catch the fish,go home, cook,drink and eat.

It`s not just a way of escaping from the wife and kids. Sitting on the riverbank for hours on end in the knowledge that you may or may not "get a bite".IMO, I think that`s just a waste of time and no effort.

Just my opinion. :o

Edited by chang35baht

We have loads of oinions growing all over the joint so just got to find out how to pickle em...but the Mushy peas... :o ....interesting....... :D

A couple of my friends make their own mushy peas. They buy them in tins. I think they put them in the micro for a short amount of time, then back on the gas and stir.

If you want the details let me know?

Not into netting.  If you can't get them off a cast/baiting, it really isn't fishing. :D

I suspect that the way that the Thai(Asian) people fish has been going on for umpteen centuries long before rods and hooks were invented.

Just my opinion. :D

Fishing for eating can be done in many manners. I remember using Dupont spinners (M-80's, Cherry bombs, etc.) I have also fished with an arc welder. Both these methods are very effective and large amounts of fish can be collected in a very short time. Good luck on winning the prize tomorrow :o

Just my opinion. :D

Fishing for eating can be done in many manners. I remember using Dupont spinners (M-80's, Cherry bombs, etc.) I have also fished with an arc welder. Both these methods are very effective and large amounts of fish can be collected in a very short time. Good luck on winning the prize tomorrow :o

If only the Asian people had been as lucky to have all these methods at their disposal all these years ago. Perhaps they would now be wearing deerstalker hats and waist high gaitors whilst casting their flies. Picnic hamper and bottle of wine in the back of the Range Rover. :D

P.S. Dupont spinners were overrated.

A couple of my friends make their own mushy peas. They buy them in tins. I think they put them in the micro for a short amount of time, then back on the gas and stir.

If you want the details let me know?

Thanks but we will be doing the weekly shop tomorrow morning down at Morrisons where they knock out tins of their own brand "mushys"at something like 7 pence a tin.

Heard a rumour that Tescos are only 6 p but what the heck...can splash out for a change.

Actually thats an idea ..since I always travel so lightly i suppose i could bring a few cases out on next trip...now got me gold card so OK for ..50kilos :D ..wonder how many tins?...nice one