New Visa Rules For Fathers Of Thai Children

We have received this message from The Hon Consul at the Royal Thai Consulate Hull.

Dear News Editor

I would be obliged if you would post the following message from the Royal Thai Consulate, Hull UK regarding the Expat Forum Topic "Non Imm Visa When You Have Thai Child":-

"Message from the Royal Thai Consulate in Hull (UK).

Please note that it is no longer possible to obtain a non immigrant visa from the Royal Thai Embassy or from any of the Royal Thai Consulates in the UK on the basis that you are the father of a child living in Thailand even if you possess the child's birth certificate which shows you as the father. To be eligible to apply for this type of visa you must also be married to the mother of the child and have an official marriage certificate."

Can you also please inform your readers that they must never post their passport from Thailand to any other country for any reason because there will not be any evidence in their passport to show that they exited Thailand.

Thank you and kind regards

Alan P Taylor

Hon Consul

Royal Thai Consulate

4 Priory Court

Saxon Way

Hessle

HULL

HU13 9PB

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Can you also please inform your readers that they must never post their passport from Thailand to any other country for any reason because there will not be any evidence in their passport to show that they exited Thailand."

Poorly worded. I suspect they are talking about not sending a passport out to get a Thai Visa.

If they actually meant what they wrote, they are over stepping their job description.

There are other reasons that someone might send a passport out of the country.

Nice of them to pass on the info, though.

• Like 1

I must admit that this is a pretty poor policy. yes, many scam the system, and there are also some "stand up guys" who really care and do support their kids.

What governments miss, and not just Thailand, are common sense middle ground solutions. For example, having to bring the child / children to a center every 90 days for an interview. Real dads would not like it, but suffer through it. Scammers would just tire of the process and the money on top of money on top of money "moms" would charge to "rent" their kids.

Many clued up Thai people who do any type of business refuse to get registered as married as it means two signatures for official docs and other nasty things like that which i can't remember at this time of night.

Me too. A genuine nuisance.

Edited by cheeryble

Although embassies and - in particular - consulates tend to make their own rules, they are not allowed to do so. All Thai embassies and consulates have been instructed by the MFA that they must strictly and uniformly implement the laws, regulations etc. set out in BKK.

I know that few Thai embassies and consulates comply with that instruction - it's up to the officer - but it could be worthwhile applying for such a "father of a Thai child" visa elsewhere. Until recently, the Thai embassy in Vientiane issued them.

Edited by pointoffew

Won't this rule make the entire concept of 'getting a visa on the basis of having a Thai child' completely redundant?

If you have to be married to get one, then you'd just as easily get a visa on that basis (being married) alone. Or have I missed something?

That is my understanding as well.

I think this just makes the requirements to prove you are the father more in line with Thai law where as before they would just accept the childs birth cert. I could be wrong on this but this is how I'm reading it.

• Like 2

I think this just makes the requirements to prove you are the father more in line with Thai law where as before they would just accept the childs birth cert. I could be wrong on this but this is how I'm reading it.

Sounds like this is happening now. Either marry or goto court/provide DNA sample.

I'm sorry but I would take very little from this at all.

There is no mention of the code for the Non immigrant visa though we assume it's a Non-0 visa.

This is hardly a new rule anyway, if you arn't married to the mother of the child what right should you have to get the visa anyway.

Seems like the only reason why you got the email in the first place was because some guy knocked up a girl in Pattaya and thought it would be a good way to get a visa.

Oh and to those who think it's racist go back and ask your own consulate if this would fly in your country, it wouldn't. have a kid in america to an unwed mother good luck if you think you'll get a green card.

Not true: the mother of a child with German nationality has the right to stay with the child in Germany, because it is the given right to a mother to take care of her child. Even not a language test is needed under this circumstances. When she wants to be with her child in Germany, she don't need to show money, give a proof of return, not need to be married to a German etc. And I can imagine, this is similar at other countries.

I'm sorry but I would take very little from this at all.

There is no mention of the code for the Non immigrant visa though we assume it's a Non-0 visa.

This is hardly a new rule anyway, if you arn't married to the mother of the child what right should you have to get the visa anyway.

Seems like the only reason why you got the email in the first place was because some guy knocked up a girl in Pattaya and thought it would be a good way to get a visa.

Oh and to those who think it's racist go back and ask your own consulate if this would fly in your country, it wouldn't. have a kid in america to an unwed mother good luck if you think you'll get a green card.

Not true: the mother of a child with German nationality has the right to stay with the child in Germany, because it is the given right to a mother to take care of her child. Even not a language test is needed under this circumstances. When she wants to be with her child in Germany, she don't need to show money, give a proof of return, not need to be married to a German etc. And I can imagine, this is similar at other countries.

We are talking about the father not the mother.

Apparently you are not aware of the visa regulation this relates to. There was - and likely still is - a separate provision for unmarried fathers of Thai children. A Non-O indeed.

What about if you are divorced???

You are divorced from the kid also????

This just increases Thailand's ongoing Violations of the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights":

The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.

Article 16(3) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

The Discrimination and Human Rights Violations in Thailand are making them akin to the Worst of the Worst!

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer
  • Like 2

You guys are not reading this correctly. The law in Thailand has always been this way. The only change it seems is the requirement to prove legal parentage for the visa. If you are a man and have a thai child out of wedlock then unless you petitioned the court you have never been considered the legal father of the child. If you are concerned with this then petition the courts and get legal parental rights. It's that simple. Obviously the same doesn't hold for women as the child comes out of their body for all to see.

• Like 2