Camera Categories Explained

With so many new cameras on the market we're often hard pressed to place them in a category we understand, and if they don't fit any category they deserve a new category of their own. Please excuse any misspellings or odd image sizes, the new forum software doesn't work with the Firefox inline spellchecker and while it lets you 'size' images in the editor, they revert to their largest size once posted. I'm sure they'll work that out.

You could write a book about all the different camera types and what makes them fit the category, so I'll stick to several of the types we're most familiar, especially where they tend to be confusing and mistakenly identified. There are many I won't list either because they're specific to professional photographers or because they're no longer made and aren't really germane to the average amateurs needs.

SLR - An SLR is easy to identify. SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex and denotes a single lens camera with a reflex viewfinder, which is basically a mirror box that takes the image from it's normal upside down view, and through the use of mirrors turns it right side up again which increases user function. With an SLR you're looking 'through' the lens at your subject. The term SLR's were coined back when we only had film cameras. 35mm (36x24mm) SLR's were the most popular, but the Pentax 6x7cm SLR was also popular with professionals. SLR's are best known for their interchangeable lenses (though plenty were made with fixed lenses), quick focusing, and fast frame rate.

DSLR - This is the same as an SLR but uses a digital sensor. There are many DSLR's on the market and books have been written on the different types. The most popular sensor sizes are APS-C (1.5x (23.6x15.7mm) and 1.6x(22.2x14.8mm)), full frame, and now the new Leica S2 with an even bigger sensor (30x45mm).

Rangefinder - A rangefinder is most easily identified with Leica, but was in fact a popular camera type made by many manufacturers. It's called a rangefinder because the viewfinder has an actual rangefinder function which aids focusing. As you look through the viewfinder you'll see two images, as you focus the camera the images will come together, one on top of the other, and when perfectly matched the camera is in focus and you can read the 'range' or what we know as "focal distance' which you can read about here. This is different than focal length explained in this article. If the camera doesn't sport a 'rangefinder' then it is not a "rangefinder", which is important because a new genre of cameras (mirrorless) are purposely designed to take advantage of the rangefinders popular legacy appearance which they think will sell more cameras. Rangefinders of the Leica genre are best known for their rugged go anywhere durability and precision engineering and before SLR's became available were even more popular. Today they're popular with those who want a high quality reasonably sized travel camera and a host of extremely high quality lenses are available from several manufacturers. Rangefinders have traditionally been film 35mm (36x24mm), but the Leica M8 (23.6x15.7) and M9 (36x24mm) digital rangefinders are available and have been met with mixed feelings.

Compacts - There are hundreds of current models available, and maybe a thousand more you can find which aren't current. The proliferation of digital compacts started in 1997-8 and hasn't abated since. Several times a year manufacturers release dozens of new models trying to sell more than the other guy. The compact genre has spawned several sub-genres such as superzoom compacts, pocket compacts, bridge compacts, and more. These typically have very small sensors and limited image quality, but their small size and easy to use user interface coupled with their cheap prices have made them the go-to camera for the average camera user for over the last decade. Recently though, the compact cameras reign has been challenged by an unexpected newcomer, the camera phone. Sensor sizes for compacts range from smaller than 1/2.5" through 1/1.7". Not very big.

Camera Phone - Virtually every phone on the market today has some form of a camera phone, and many have video cameras. These used to be of marginal quality, but lately the Iphone specifically and many of the newer smart phones are coming with quite capable cameras. Many would be surprised with how nice the images from an Iphone are. Industry insiders predict camera phones will supplant the compact camera sooner rather than later. This makes sense, all a compact camera user really wants is a decent snapshot. This can easily be done with a quality phone camera. Camera phones have compact camera size sensors.

Mirrorless - This is the elephant in the room, the new camera genre which bridges compacts and DSLR's. On the most basic level a camera is classified as "mirrorless" if there are no mirrors involved in the cameras viewfinder or livefinder system. Some are designed as "compact system cameras" which like a SLR/DSLR could have different lenses, flashes, and other system orientated accessories. CSC cameras are the most popular of the mirrorless genre. Removal of the mirrors allow the camera to be much smaller by placing the lens much closer to the sensor. Popular mirrorless sensor sizes are Micro 4/3's (17.3x13mm) and APC-S (23.6x15.7), but some new sizes are coming down the pike soon like the Canon G1X (18.7x14mm). Mirrorless cameras are now firmly entrenched in the market and gaining a larger and larger market share. Users like the smallish size and great image quality made possible with the large sensors. Mirrorless cameras were exactly what the doctor ordered for a huge number of amateurs straddling the DSLR/Compact camera fence. Most recently the Canon G1x with a industry first for mirroless cameras, a fixed zoom lens, and the soon to hit the shelves Fuji xPro1 with it's hybrid viewfinder and interchangable lenses promise to be the hottest mirrorless models of 2012. Look for them.

In Summary - a camera falls into a "category" by specific features such as the type of viewfinder, sensor/film type, arrangement of lenses, the focusing type (rangefinder, autofocus, ground glass, reflex focusing, etc), and less often by metering type. As new camera types are released on the market it's natural to try and assign them to existing categories based on looks or specific function, but we need to be careful to understand the functional differences so as to get the most out of the camera.

300px-SensorSizes.svg.png

A variation of the SLR is the TLR (Twin-Lens Reflex) and one of the first camera types I owned, Yashica TLR. Yeah I know, it's dating me. biggrin.png

220px-Yashica_mat_124G_-_WLF_ouvert.jpg

I have a TLR on my shelves and it takes great pictures. Also view cameras, polaroids, pinholes, etc, etc.. even a lego camera.. ;o)

• 11 months later...

You seem to know a lot.I need urgent advice.

I have to buy a digital camera.

for making family photos touristic photos as simple as possible no need for making videos or fotographing moving objects or underwater.as easy as possible to handle without having to consult a thick manual.If possible with batteries.Medium price range .Do you need more information to be able to give an advice?

Thank you

• 7 months later...

Just a note about Rangefinder cameras...film or digital.

Most importantly, the main reason rangefinders perform so well

is that there is no "black out" when the shutter release is pressed.

This means that the photographer...even at that most critical of

moments always has the subject in the viewfinder. On SLR

cameras; digital or film, there is a brief moment when the viewfinder

is blanked out as the mirror rises to let the light strike the sensor/film.

There is no reflex mirror in a rangefinder camera to cause this.

In case anybody wants to know why Leica's cost so much please

PM me and I'll tell you. I own 2...M-6 & M-9 with some rather

very pricey lenses. They record great images, I create them.

• 8 months later...

Just a note about Rangefinder cameras...film or digital.

Most importantly, the main reason rangefinders perform so well

is that there is no "black out" when the shutter release is pressed.

This means that the photographer...even at that most critical of

moments always has the subject in the viewfinder. On SLR

cameras; digital or film, there is a brief moment when the viewfinder

is blanked out as the mirror rises to let the light strike the sensor/film.

There is no reflex mirror in a rangefinder camera to cause this.

In case anybody wants to know why Leica's cost so much please

PM me and I'll tell you. I own 2...M-6 & M-9 with some rather

very pricey lenses. They record great images, I create them.

As a long time RF shooter I, amongst many others, realise that the essence of RF shooting is found in the actual absence of an EVF which, as such, enables the photographer to concentrate on the image CONTENT as opposed the RENDITION of the lens in use, which is the pertinent characteristic of an EVF. It is inaccuate to state that "blackout" is the end all and be all, when it is not the main criteria. TLR's, pellicle mirrored SLR's, mirror up implementation will combat this trait which is not confined to RF shooting. I would also question the statement that a camera records in itself a great image. It does not. It merely records the photographers selection exposure which in itself is the perception and visualisation of the end result via his EV/lens perspective selection.

And why do Leica's cost so much? - you get what you pay for, or you pay for what you get!

@ Fimgirl...

Why do Leica's cost so much? Hmmmmm....over the years I have also wondered

why myself. I reckon why they cost so much is both queries you gave plus that

awfully visual, almost visible from the Moon, red logo! That blasted thing must

account for at least half the price. As to what any camera records....I simply believe

it is recording what the user reckons is a great image and also what may not be a

great image when those "Ooops (or favourite explicative) what was I thinking" moments

happen. About "blackout"...yes there are ways around it when using an SLR just as

there are ways around parallax error in TLR's, there's ways around everything it

seems...however...many things can change in 1/60th of a second (just an example)

which can ruin a one off shot when the photographer simply can't see the subject

in the blacked out time frame. Now if the shot is "staged" or a studio set up, the

photog can always do it again...in the field, say in street/news shoots, if the photog

gets off a second decent shot...that's pure luck...many things can change rapidly;

such as a vehicles windscreen reflecting the sun into said shot obliterating everything.

Mind you there's always workarounds as I previously stated...however there are times

when those workarounds just can't be done. As for viewfinders...not the EVF mind you,

you will need a VF if you want to use say the 21 or 24 mm WA lenses unless you

have enough experience to magically correctly frame a shot without one just using

the cameras VF. Personally I would not want to use a 16K $ camera/lens combination

in a poke & hope situation...aka...point-n-shoot. EVF's will get better as time goes by

however for the present they're good on mirrorless bodies & some PnS cameras IMO.

Another personal gripe is that I find a stability issue with using the LCD screen as a

VF mainly because how can one be stable with their arms outstretched? To me that

may be fine for happy snaps but sweet FA else & I'll use the camera on my Samsung

Galaxy 4 instead in that type of situation if there's nothing else available in me belt pouch.

And now...Leica has their new T Series camera & lenses available...quite a lotta dosh

to toss out for a PnS camera IMO...even if it is CNC'd out of a solid block of Aluminum

and it has no built in VF...not even a tiny one such as on Canon's G12! So...Leica has

come out with an EVF just for the T Series....oh what joy...more dosh to toss out.

Even more dosh tossed out if one wants to use their M mount lenses for the adaptor.

When I bought my M6 all those years ago I bought it for two reasons; firstly I could

finally afford the body & a couple lenses along with the "motor". Secondly I bought

it because the shutter was virtually silent. Yeah...it makes a bit of a subdued sound

but compared to the motorised F2AS I usually used back then it was silent. That

figure of merit had many uses in itself...and it still does today. A fine easily available

situation is have a look & listen at a major press conference on television. Listen

when the keynote speaker(s) raise their heads up to look at the audience and the

SLR kitted photogs start a 5 second time on target barrage of flashes & frames.

If I'm using my Leica's I'm in & out with "the shot" before they begin firing. You

can't quite hear what the speaker is saying over the mirror thuds & beeps...

I like my DSLR's too...don't get me wrong...but to me there is a time & place for

everything...especially when silence, stealth and compactness is the order of the

moment.

I can remember my Farther with his early Nikon F2 Photomic. He reminded me of a One Man Band. Clattering around with a string of Lenses and Gadget Bag.Mother got all the best shots with Her Cheapo early Auto, and got the Old Boy wound up a treat when folks liked hers better.

@Sunshine

Leica's and their pricings might be in line with the following.

Back in the UK a friend was a very rich and successful car dealer. To move a specific vehicle he would place an identical one alongside but priced somewhat lower. No difference between the two but the price. The one he wanted to sell, the higher priced one, went out every time. What he was projecting, and indeed it panned out, was "if you can afford it, it ain't worth having", aka easy come, easy go.

Nowt so strange as folk eh?

• 1 year later...

for making family photos touristic photos as simple as possible no need for making videos or fotographing moving objects or underwater.as easy as possible to handle without having to consult a thick manual.If possible with batteries.Medium price range .Do you need more information to be able to give an advice?

Thank you

Was going to comment but did not see the date of the post! An oldie resurrected! facepalm.gif

Thank you

Was going to comment but did not see the date of the post! An oldie resurrected! facepalm.gif

Better late then never I guess , you any good with a Commodore 64 computer by any chance ?

cheesy.gif

Cheers

Apologies Stix

Archived