BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
padeakin

300,000 Baht Backhander To Secure A Job Teaching

I asked my wife about this and her first question was "Is this for a government school?". Once I told her that is was, she said that she thought that it sounded too high. For most government schools teachers only have to pay 100,000 to 150,000 to get a job. huh.png

only passing the kids who take after hours tutoring etc. will be how the money is recouped.

Never heard of people paying money to get a teaching job, but did hear of money being paid to change schools. Normally 100,000 baht or more.

Changing schools is often the problem, as one needs to have a good job. I also heard that some people very close to retirement offer to change schools with someone who want to teach at their school for money.

News to me. Have never seen or heard of anyone having to pay to secure a job in Thailand. Very odd.

Is this post intentionally designed to bait or are you truly unaware of what happens around you.

Any job on offer were it is possible to make money over and above the salary carries a price tag.

I know two Thai men here who had to pay 20k Baht each just to get a job on Garbage Collection.

I'm around working professionals all day long, every day. Never heard of paying to get a job. I've heard of certain police paying to get certain choice assignments, but even then, I've just "heard." Perhaps it's going on, but the logic defies me. So who gets the money, exactly? Just one person, or is there a consortium? What happens if you leave the job? Partial refund? Does every single govt' employee have to pay? If so, I'd imagine someone is making a sh*tload of money...if it's 300K per person as the OP suggested. Anyways, it's comical to me that the farangs here will believe anything that another farang suggests about a Thai without one shred of evidence.

^ Take a look at the houses and cars owned by senior civil servants (including school directors). That should tell you where the money is going.

My wife's father was s civil servant (malaria control officer with the MOH) who prided himself on his honesty. He was proud to say that he never took a bribe in his life. Needless to say that none of his children could afford to go to university and he died a poor man.

Give her 15,000 a month out of your pocket, you will be way in front

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

God gave man a penis and a brain, unfortunately, did not give sufficient blood supply to run both at the same time.

One has to consider the fringe benefits too - pension, free schooling in the school for offspring (if private), micical, and potential earnings from private tuition. Also some schools, even int he state system, are considered better than others - for career development it's possibly a good investment to get a good school on your CV (start half way up the hill instead of the bottom).

News to me. Have never seen or heard of anyone having to pay to secure a job in Thailand. Very odd.

Is this post intentionally designed to bait or are you truly unaware of what happens around you.

Any job on offer were it is possible to make money over and above the salary carries a price tag.

I know two Thai men here who had to pay 20k Baht each just to get a job on Garbage Collection.

I'm around working professionals all day long, every day. Never heard of paying to get a job. I've heard of certain police paying to get certain choice assignments, but even then, I've just "heard." Perhaps it's going on, but the logic defies me. So who gets the money, exactly? Just one person, or is there a consortium? What happens if you leave the job? Partial refund? Does every single govt' employee have to pay? If so, I'd imagine someone is making a sh*tload of money...if it's 300K per person as the OP suggested. Anyways, it's comical to me that the farangs here will believe anything that another farang suggests about a Thai without one shred of evidence.

That information came to me from a Thai, and I know of others, all info from Thais.

Yes it's normal practice, but she shouldn't need to do it, unless she's going for a position which she wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting otherwise.

There are plenty of jobs which are available, without the need for paying money, particularly if she knows someone inside the school already. e.g. my gf was offered a job teaching at my school, without even asking, likewise her friends have been offered jobs there simply because their parents are teachers. Unfortunately, all of them used to attend the school prior to university, so feel weird teaching together with their ex teachers etc, so turned down the jobs though lol.

If she's well qualified and a good teacher, she can get a job easily anyway, although admittedly it might be more difficult to choose the exact school without bribery since they might not have a position available at present (Or might need to fill a spot for someone else who wants to bribe them).

Edited by SlyAnimal

The statistics don't add up. How many years will she have to work to recover that kind of money? It only makes sense when paying for a position that will ultimately pay you back a lot and fast...most politicians pay for heir positions for example, as they will then have access to unlimited finds.

That information came to me from a Thai, and I know of others, all info from Thais.

The logic still perplexes me. Perhaps the OP's wife did come to him for 300K, insisting that it's to secure a job. But what's more believable?

1. Having to pay the equivalent of nearly two years salary to secure a mediocre teaching job where she can be laid-off or fired at any time.

or

2. Supposing, just supposing, the OP's wife needed money for her family but knew the OP wouldn't give it up. This scheme is perfect. If he agreed to pay, she knows that he wouldn't be able to talk to the nameless/faceless guy that she allegedly paid. No receipts. No messy audit trail. And on top of that, her family wouldn't owe him any favors, i.e., no having to "worship the ground he walks on." All you need is a gullible farang to buy the story. And many here are perfect candidates.

Just supposing.

Edited by Berkshire

The statistics don't add up. How many years will she have to work to recover that kind of money? It only makes sense when paying for a position that will ultimately pay you back a lot and fast...most politicians pay for heir positions for example, as they will then have access to unlimited finds.

Regarding politicians, that I would believe.

Yes this type of activity is commonplace. A Thai relative a mine regularly asks about common Thai business practices and is genuinely surprised that they are illegal in the west....from paying off cops to buying an employment position. Their typical response..."Wow, not easy same Thailand."

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The logic still perplexes me. Perhaps the OP's wife did come to him for 300K, insisting that it's to secure a job. But what's more believable?

1. Having to pay the equivalent of nearly two years salary to secure a mediocre teaching job where she can be laid-off or fired at any time.

or

2. Supposing, just supposing, the OP's wife needed money for her family but knew the OP wouldn't give it up. This scheme is perfect. If he agreed to pay, she knows that he wouldn't be able to talk to the nameless/faceless guy that she allegedly paid. No receipts. No messy audit trail. And on top of that, her family wouldn't owe him any favors, i.e., no having to "worship the ground he walks on." All you need is a gullible farang to buy the story. And many here are perfect candidates.

Just supposing.

Well, just supposing it isn't a mediocre teaching job. A good teaching position here is a job for life, with benefits and a full pension at the end of it, that would make your second option a pile of bigoted nonsense.

^ seconded. A teacher at a government school will never be laid off or fired. Once she's in the system she's got benefits, yearly raises and job security for life, with a pension at the end of it. She can also get raises for finishing advanced degrees (which the government will pay for) and for papers published, etc.. She can also get paid generously for after hour or weekend classes.

While I would never condone this sort of thing, it is understandable why she would pay. The only question in my mind is why did she need so much? Is she trying to get a job at a "famous" school, like Triam Udom or Bodin Decha?

^ seconded. A teacher at a government school will never be laid off or fired. Once she's in the system she's got benefits, yearly raises and job security for life, with a pension at the end of it. She can also get raises for finishing advanced degrees (which the government will pay for) and for papers published, etc.. She can also get paid generously for after hour or weekend classes.

While I would never condone this sort of thing, it is understandable why she would pay. The only question in my mind is why did she need so much? Is she trying to get a job at a "famous" school, like Triam Udom or Bodin Decha?

I can understand that it is normal practise adn that she will get other benefits, but I don't know why it was so much, it is only a small government school, it is convenient because it is close to where we live, she is qualified but not experienced. It is possible that she is 'exaggerating' the cost, but I don't think she is because I am not paying it anyway. I agree with with response that said the statistics don't add up, even when I take into account the other benefits, she will be working for next to nothing for 5 years while paying back the loan.