Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

We have now returned from the frozen north. We went up by coach and mercifully went straight past KPP and Tak, jolly good coach actually, recommend them, Sombat Tours. 3 seats across, massaging seats and food better then the usual. Came back by train, nice scenery but food carp ( I took 2 bacon baggettes with me being an experienced traveler- I been to Leeds!) the train arrived only 10 minutes late into Nakkers which was not bad but the condition of the train was very poor. A 1996 model from S Korea which looked like there had been no TLC or re furbishment done since it arrived, SRT have a lot of work to do, staff were very good but just need some new tools.

I was able to walk round CM without socks most of the time much to the amazement of others, this is what being a hard man is all about, as well as being able to ride bare back in hunts. No duffle coat required even though I saw a temp of 11c once!

Still nice to be back after another successful bonding visit, next months its off to Patters by special request.

For anyone who might be interested there is a new swimming pool and water resort in Dreamland, its 50bts to get in and opens at 1200, if you are going from the Tak Road to the Nong Krot/Pitsanulok Road it will be on your right hand side

Riding bareback may be well and good in Nakkers but that sort of thing is frowned upon up in KPP. The resident H/M may wish to comment?

H/M purposely left out the riding bareback bit as I did the 11c that David had in jolly old C/M. It had been down to 18c one night here and that was quite cold enough.

Re riding as they don't have horses in N/S it could have opened the door to the peeps from said place making an offer to show all with a trip up here. And that would never do.

Hope the skiing is going well Bill. Enjoy the next part of your trip to Japan.

H/M.

Fred.

Fairground at Makro now with CNY fast approaching, its in the usual place so will not hinder visitors, not sure what opening times are, but look out for the Nakhon Sawan EYE!

The owner of the Kiss Bar told us in September they would be moving, the old corner site is apparently going to be yet another up market shopping centre with luxury hotel just what Patters needs eh? I am told its not busy down there, contrary to what TAT says and Chiang Mai was not busy either, a lot of the Night Bazaar stalls not open. Plenty of Chinese tourists but thats about the brunt of it and they dont spend money do they racing from one spot to another.

Edited by nong38

Chinese New Year up and coming next month on the 8th, stages are starting appear by the side of the riverside road in the city, I would expect that they will be erected by the weekend so expect disruption from now on.

Large crowds ( 300 maybe) under the bridge today observing the level of the water, between the the last northbound pillar and the bank its green and damp but no water, road blocked and soon adorned with fast food sellers looking for extra sales, the riverside road under the bridge might be difficult to pass if more people who should be at work turn up point at the lack of water.

Riverside road in the city, parallel to Kosi Road is now blocked by stages for the Chinese New Year, traffic is being diverted into the one way system, traffic very busy in the city, but, not to worry, the Heroic Nakhon Sawan Police are controlling the traffic, need I say more?

Jolly cold here today even as I write its only 13C, grey skies and said to be with us for a few days yet, bring your socks and gloves.

Last week the leader of the self styles KPP Hunt and country alliance came in for some top level talks, have yet to send him the bill for refreshments and tour of the mansion, not forgetting the ever popular car parking ( double if you lift the bonnet!)

Anyway we did manage to sign agreements on a few things which will be of interest to people on both side of the border.

1 Chickens and pigs will be able to cross the border with hindrance, but not ducks or turkeys.

2. Nakhon Sawan noodle chefs will be allowed to ply their wares in KPP and not be subject to import tax.

3. Broadcasting of loud music over the border will cease once Chang stop calling all the beer CLASSIC.

4.The KPP Hunt be allowed to cross the border on Boxing Day only, unless going to Pattaya or Chingford.

These agreements will be ratified once the hospitality issue has been addressed.

Riverside road in the city, parallel to Kosi Road is now blocked by stages for the Chinese New Year, traffic is being diverted into the one way system, traffic very busy in the city, but, not to worry, the Heroic Nakhon Sawan Police are controlling the traffic, need I say more?

Jolly cold here today even as I write its only 13C, grey skies and said to be with us for a few days yet, bring your socks and gloves.

Last week the leader of the self styles KPP Hunt and country alliance came in for some top level talks, have yet to send him the bill for refreshments and tour of the mansion, not forgetting the ever popular car parking ( double if you lift the bonnet!)

Anyway we did manage to sign agreements on a few things which will be of interest to people on both side of the border.

1 Chickens and pigs will be able to cross the border with hindrance, but not ducks or turkeys.

2. Nakhon Sawan noodle chefs will be allowed to ply their wares in KPP and not be subject to import tax.

3. Broadcasting of loud music over the border will cease once Chang stop calling all the beer CLASSIC.

4.The KPP Hunt be allowed to cross the border on Boxing Day only, unless going to Pattaya or Chingford.

These agreements will be ratified once the hospitality issue has been addressed.

Must admit that H/M did call in to visit peeps in the N/S area.

Thanks once again for the tea Nong, most enjoyable if it wasn't for the price.

Note to self next time don't park in the driveway.

Or play with David's train set as it all seems to cost.

Don't seem to recall anything that David has stated but then again I was more than likely thinking of how I was going to get out of paying the bill that had been presented to me as the tea arrived.

Why was H.M there well had to do my 90 day report and obtain a re-entry stamp: all accomplished in about 10Min: Must say that the visa office is still very good with excellent staff.

Down sides.

The clock is still telling the wrong time. Makro could as usual do with more checkout staff and the walk should open earlier say 9am instead of 10 but other than that all was fine they even have non dead flowers on the island. Marked improvement.

The new overpass is up and running going south but not yet completed to the Phitso road.

Tip if using overpass once you have got of the newly laid road it's still dodgy surface wise. Extremely bad coming up to the first bridge anything over 60KPH and you'll be in trouble.

Lots of resurfacing still going on, going up north 99.9% being after you have entered K.P.P province, you will be shunted (No not the train set again) onto the other lane several times, so take care. Not that the Thai's seem to take any notice of that. TIT so up to them.

David did mention the festivities in a previous post. The lot in Makro car park although quite large wont be a problem during the week as it doesn't open till late. What it'll be like at the weekend is anyone's guess.

Tip 2 don't take the kids when it's open as it'll cost you a fortune.

Temp: today was 18c this morning only up to 20c now.

Right where's that hot water bottle.

H/M.

Fred.

Edited by fredob43

The fairground at Makro is moving on today, life returns to normal and the kiddies can return to their 1st class education/homework.

Temperature today up to 15C at 0800.

Still waiting for the Ambassador from the north to pay 2d for his platform ticket!

Now warming up nicely, good strolling around weather.

Had a morning coffee in the new Aprils Brasserie whilst perusing the Bangkok Post and found it to be very good. Most coffee places here do so many iced coffees they've forgotten the meaning of hot/lon, not so Aprils. I understand they had a few teething problems but all seems to be under control now.

On the menu they have 6 A4 pages listing/illustrating mainly Belgian beers at an average of B240 for a 330ml bottle and a display fridge full of the same. Seems a bit ambitious for small town Thailand but good luck to them. The menu does show Wells Bombardier at the same price for a 500ml bottle, the last time I had that (in a pub near Crystal Palace station) I was most impressed so will give it a try next time I am in there a bit later in the day.

Chinese new Year ?? Well, Nakkers main (only?) claim to fame is the size of the local Thai-Chinese population, pity they don't know how to hold a parade but anyway.

Had a morning coffee in the new Aprils Brasserie whilst perusing the Bangkok Post and found it to be very good. Most coffee places here do so many iced coffees they've forgotten the meaning of hot/lon, not so Aprils. I understand they had a few teething problems but all seems to be under control now.

On the menu they have 6 A4 pages listing/illustrating mainly Belgian beers at an average of B240 for a 330ml bottle and a display fridge full of the same. Seems a bit ambitious for small town Thailand but good luck to them. The menu does show Wells Bombardier at the same price for a 500ml bottle, the last time I had that (in a pub near Crystal Palace station) I was most impressed so will give it a try next time I am in there a bit later in the day.

Chinese new Year ?? Well, Nakkers main (only?) claim to fame is the size of the local Thai-Chinese population, pity they don't know how to hold a parade but anyway.

The Aprils Brasserie sound nice. What sort of food do the sell. Trite over the top price wise on the beer front though, On the odd occasion one might make a splurge.

Have you lost the plot Rott nice strolling around weather. Hope it's better there than ours has been today. Must say the cloud is clearing now somewhat. It has been decidedly cold today in K.P.P started orf at 14c and only raised itself to 16c by 3pm with rain on the odd hour.

H/M has been stuck indoors most of the time only heading out of my room to reheat the Hot water bottle. Newly obtained today the other one I had decided to spring a leek. Dash inconvenient.

Added to that the Wife has given away my new night clothes with long sleeves and trues: obtained free from EVA Air on my last trip over all is none to well in the H/M household.

Right David so your after yet more cash 2d bit over the top just for a platform ticket I wouldn't mind but I didn't even get a seat, thank Buddha I didn't miss out on the railway Tea. David/British rail has a lot to answer for 2d indeed only hope you will except bt instead. If it wasn't for the postal strike here at present it would be on it's way as I tap.

So the fair has gone and I didn't even have a chance to use it. Oh well there's always next Chinese new year.

H/M.

Fred.

Aprils is next to the Animal hospital in Sawanvittee and the hot coffee is not bad, did not know about the beers, a tad pricey but they have come a long way.

I can remember when Bombardier ( Charles Wells Brewery, Bedford ) used to state on the bottle............full English Pint! A fine malty beer. Now everything is 500ml, well to make a few eyes water I do have bottle of Bishops Finger ( Shepard Neame of Faversham) in my larder a fine brew indeed.

Aprils is next to the Animal hospital in Sawanvittee and the hot coffee is not bad, did not know about the beers, a tad pricey but they have come a long way.

I can remember when Bombardier ( Charles Wells Brewery, Bedford ) used to state on the bottle............full English Pint! A fine malty beer. Now everything is 500ml, well to make a few eyes water I do have bottle of Bishops Finger ( Shepard Neame of Faversham) in my larder a fine brew indeed.

Thank Buddha You didn't offer me any of your fine beers David. As by now I would have the house on the market as well as the Limo. More than likely used up all my credit on the ATM cards as well.

H/M.

Fred.

Aprils has moved from there and is now next to the old confuzion bar place. Have to try it one day. Anyone know if they sell hot non thai food? A great place for a good coffee is SP in the old Big C.

Yes the old Aprils building is now flattened, don't know what will replace it.

As for the food I don't think there is any hot non-thai on the menu, but a wide variety of cakes (pastries to the upper crust) and small pies.

I am not sure who will be paying those prices for the beer, local stuff is 79 for a large Leo, 89 for Singh, can't remember the Heineken. Coffees are the fairly standard 35 baht and well worth it. It is basically a coffee place that sells a few beers, not somewhere for a heavy session. Gets very busy at night on all three floors with mainly a younger clientele.

For everywhere that fails a new place seems to start up, on Soi Champ two containers are being tastefully converted into a new double-storey bar the "goril-tar" bar. Can't be too far off opening.

Used to drink Shepherd Neame ales in the Duke of Wellington in Eaton Terrace, good stuff and a lovely little pub. Two of the things I miss about the UK.

Edited by rott
  • Like 1

You are right Rott, the beers and the pubs are a great miss, I used to go into some places and just order a beer and read the Bangkok Post and they could not understand why did not order food!

Something rather nice about having a beer and reading the paper, guess its a cultural thing.

Dragons loose in the City yesterday and most of the traffic lights are not working in the one way system, just been left to one plastic policeman now, so its busy and congested as deliveries are helping to block what side streets are still open, be aware its already chocker, you cannot use Riverside road in the one way area as its full of stages and practicing entertainers.

Edited by nong38

You are right Rott, the beers and the pubs are a great miss, I used to go into some places and just order a beer and read the Bangkok Post and they could not understand why did not order food!

Something rather nice about having a beer and reading the paper, guess its a cultural thing.

Dragons loose in the City yesterday and most of the traffic lights are not working in the one way system, just been left to one plastic policeman now, so its busy and congested as deliveries are helping to block what side streets are still open, be aware its already chocker, you cannot use Riverside road in the one way area as its full of stages and practicing entertainers.

H/M has found a place that makes N/S traffic seem a trifle.

Just arrived back from Udon Thani. Annual fishing trip don't you know.

Lovely trip through the so called Thai mountains but your in for it once you reach the metropolis, it's like BKK in the rush hour.

One thing in it's favour is many non Thai restaurants abound.

Oh nearly forgot good night life. But that's another story.

H/M.

Fred.

Now returned from the Las Vegas of Thailands east coast, in newspaper talk I would put it like this..................small crowds, plenty of room at the inns, prices up, portions down, quality down, not the official line of course, but no sign of high season. Road very quiet from Pattaya to Bangkok, Bangkok to Bang Pa In busier a by a little but from Bang Pa In to Nakkers very heavy traffic for the CNY and the standard of driving esp commuter vans was very poor weaving in and out, a good day to get home in one piece.

Anyone heading for the airport take note of this. The tailbacks at the tolls on the route 9 ring road were 3kms just after 0900 and a crawl from the 2nd one all the way to the airport turn off, allowing plenty of extra time.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Visa place has changed it's rules.

Previously if you had a Deposit account with at least 800th in it you didn't need a bank letter to confirm when you wanted to do a new 1 year retirement visa. NOW seems you do. How long this has been going Buddha only knows.

I know it wont affect a lot of peeps just a heads up if your one of us.

H/M.

Fred.

Previously if you had a Deposit account with at least 800th in it you didn't need a bank letter to confirm when you wanted to do a new 1 year retirement visa. NOW seems you do. How long this has been going Buddha only knows.

H/M.

Fred.

Every year since it opened when I renew my extension at NS immig I have always had to supply a letter from my bank confirming the account number and that there is 800k in the account, in fact going back to Soi Suan Pluu days I had to have a letter!!!

Maybe I am missing something in your post Fred!!!

H/M.

Fred.

Every year since it opened when I renew my extension at NS immig I have always had to supply a letter from my bank confirming the account number and that there is 800k in the account, in fact going back to Soi Suan Pluu days I had to have a letter!!!

Last year they told a few friends & myself that we didn't need a letter if we had a Deposit account with at least the 800th in same. That's provided the book had been made up on the day.

I had a letter but they didn't look at it.

My friend went last week and they told him this time that he now needed a letter for his deposit Acc:

Not a problem he just went to the local branch and after a bit of faffing around they got one sent from BKK head office.

Well saying not a problem took a few hours. Mainly because BKK put the wrong account No: on it.

I have always required a bank letter for a Savings/Standard Acc:

Only put the OP in just in case like myself & several peeps I know thought that they wouldn't require one.

H/M.

Fred.

Last year they told a few friends & myself that we didn't need a letter if we had a Deposit account with at least the 800th in same. That's provided the book had been made up on the day.

My friend went last week and they told him this time that he now needed a letter for his deposit Acc:

Not a problem he just went to the local branch and after a bit of faffing around they got one sent from BKK head office.

Well saying not a problem took a few hours. Mainly because BKK put the wrong account No: on it.

Only put the OP in just in case like myself & several peeps I know thought that they wouldn't require one.

Thanks for clearing that up Fred!

I just thought that with your royal status maybe you got special dispensation! Lol!

• Like 1

H/M.

Fred.

Thanks for clearing that up Fred!

I just thought that with your royal status maybe you got special dispensation! Lol!

Sorry to say that my royal status (By Marriage) doesn't give me any form of Reductions/Dispensations. Have tried on many occasions but alas no joy. Dash pore show if you ask me.

While I'm at it Bill the elder. How's the water supply there???

A few week ago went with Bill the younger to view his new bit of land. He looks like he wont have any problems water wise with that as is right along the side of the Ping river.

Just a thought he might be able to supply you with even cheaper water than myself!!!

But don't count on it as he has already put signs on the frontage stating the fishing costs.

H/M.

Fred.

Fred,

Plenty of water in the Ping. All Bill needs to do is make his way through the local dog packs that line the access road and then he has a choice-negotiate with my powerful Samoan gamekeeper for access or deal with the local fishermen/river pirates that seem to have sequestered the common river frontage at the end of the road. After filling his truck and, assuming the vehicle still has sufficient wheels and fuel for the journey after interacting with the locals then it should be a short 60km jaunt back to his house.

Couldn't be easier.

Fred,

Plenty of water in the Ping. All Bill needs to do is make his way through the local dog packs that line the access road and then he has a choice-negotiate with my powerful Samoan gamekeeper for access or deal with the local fishermen/river pirates that seem to have sequestered the common river frontage at the end of the road. After filling his truck and, assuming the vehicle still has sufficient wheels and fuel for the journey after interacting with the locals then it should be a short 60km jaunt back to his house.

Couldn't be easier.

Evening young Bill

I used to do that from the local klong years ago but I cannot any more as the klong is reduced to a collection of puddles and the water does not flow any more.

post-5614-0-05848600-1457707857_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-93642900-1457707861_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-66076000-1457707863_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-44374200-1457707868_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bill the Elder,

Nice bit of kit you have there. Did you make it yourself?

How is the current water situation at your house? At Khlong Nam Lai they are still pumping ground water which actually seems to be better than other years when it dried up before Songkran. Water from the dam for rice has been restricted and Cassava seems to be the favoured crop at present.

Bill the Elder,

Nice bit of kit you have there. Did you make it yourself?

How is the current water situation at your house? At Khlong Nam Lai they are still pumping ground water which actually seems to be better than other years when it dried up before Songkran. Water from the dam for rice has been restricted and Cassava seems to be the favoured crop at present.

Hi Young Bill

I knocked it together a few years ago when the government water stopped but there was still water in the klong. The tank holds 1,300 litres when full but after driving up the banks onto the road and up the drive I usually ended up with about 1,200 litres.

To empty the tank I just used to swap the input over and hook a 2 inch hose on the output and pump it out in about 5 minutes.

Nowadays the klong has dried out almost completely except bu the bridge where they have had a makro dredging it out last week.

I am too old to go through all that again as it was hard work then and I could get a guy to help me out. I get my wife to go to the tessaban in Klong Lan and she orders a load which is delivered by the fire truck for free. I generally get about 10,000 litres once every 3 to 4 weeks and I also give each member of the crew 50 baht as a tip because they work hard enough in the 40C temperatures lately.

• Like 1

Fred,

Couldn't be easier.

Evening young Bill

I used to do that from the local klong years ago but I cannot any more as the klong is reduced to a collection of puddles and the water does not flow any more.

attachicon.gifP3143741_resize.JPG

attachicon.gifP3143744_resize.JPG

attachicon.gifP3143750resize.jpg

attachicon.gifP3143751_resize.JPG

@billd766 if you don't mind, may I ask where did you get this IBC tote? I want to start a home project(aquaponics) with my kid and I'm looking to use one IBC as a fish tank and growing bed.

Here in Nakhon Sawan I didn't find any place to buy, only in Bangkok but the company sell in bulk and I need only one.

bytheway nice kit in your truck!

• Like 1

Fred,

Couldn't be easier.

Evening young Bill

attachicon.gifP3143741_resize.JPG

attachicon.gifP3143744_resize.JPG

attachicon.gifP3143750resize.jpg

attachicon.gifP3143751_resize.JPG

@billd766 if you don't mind, may I ask where did you get this IBC tote? I want to start a home project(aquaponics) with my kid and I'm looking to use one IBC as a fish tank and growing bed.

Here in Nakhon Sawan I didn't find any place to buy, only in Bangkok but the company sell in bulk and I need only one.

bytheway nice kit in your truck!

It depends on where you live really.

I found mine a few years ago in Khampaeng Phet and I know of a couple of other places around that sell them up my way.

Alternatively I may sell mine as it is not used any more.

Post a reply or send me a PM.

• Like 1