Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

I also got held up once by exceeding the US$50,000 limit.    Apparently the current rules interpreted by Kasikorn now require the receiver to supply documentation proving how the funds will be used if the amount exceeds US$50,000.

This time the transfer was held up because it was a company transmitting the funds.     Previously the transactions from the same company went through without an issue.

I assume it would have applied even if the amount was say US$100.

I don't know if it is only KK Bank that does this or all Thai banks.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just arrived back from the UK.

Used the N/Sawan bypass. Report on same.

As all know the roads in and around N/S are some of the worst (Na the worst) in Thailand. The Bypass used to be half OK.

Now sad to say it's now much the same as all the other pot holed ones that abound. In two words THE PITS. Might be a good idea to go through the town with all it's hoards of traffic and Traffic lights not forgetting fumes.

It will add several Minutes maybe even Hours longer. But if you want to save your suspension. It's Advisable.

H/M K.P.P  

Edited by fredob43

6 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Have just arrived back from the UK.

Used the N/Sawan bypass. Report on same.

As all know the roads in and around N/S are some of the worst (Na the worst) in Thailand. The Bypass used to be half OK.

Now sad to say it's now much the same as all the other pot holed ones that abound. In two words THE PITS. Might be a good idea to go through the town with all it's hoards of traffic and Traffic lights not forgetting fumes.

It will add several Minutes maybe even Hours longer. But if you want to save your suspension. It's Advisable.

H/M K.P.P  

I came up from BKK on Tuesday afternoon. The northbound side has nowhere longer than 1 km without being ripped up but not yet resurfaced or without at least 5 potholes per km.

When you get past that lot on the route 1/AH1/2 from Nakhon Sawan to about 4 km short of the bat mountains the road is not much better than  it was after the floods 5 years ago.

It has potholes and patches of varying sizes and even some of the patches have been patched.

When you get into KPP province there are resurfacing works both north and south bound and even the bad surface is like a pool table compared to the NS side.

I suspect that somebody in the roads dept of NS is not getting his share of brown envelopes. Even a lot of the rural roads are poorly if ever maintained.

• Like 1

I was just thinking of posting starting with "been very quiet on here since Fred got the hump with it" and there he is. Welcome back Fred. You may have noticed that the weather is quite agreeably mild, possibly the calm before the annual "big freeze" :smile: over Christmas and New Year.

To bring you up to date on matters Nakhon Sawan, the main news is that Bella Coffee closed it's doors a short while ago. Two nearby gaffs the Chef House and Cafe Sinouk are doing their best to replace it. Fairyland is apparently re-inventing itself as a dining out hub, lost track of how many new caffs have opened there recently, not sure if the rents are reasonable or otherwise. There were rumours a while ago of Makro taking over the old Tesco space but nothing has happened yet.

Not much else springs to mind, still hoping to arrange a charabanc trip to your local in Kampaeng Phet, so be prepared for an influx of argumentative old gits complaining about warm, overpriced Chang.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rott said:

I was just thinking of posting starting with "been very quiet on here since Fred got the hump with it" and there he is. Welcome back Fred. You may have noticed that the weather is quite agreeably mild, possibly the calm before the annual "big freeze" :smile: over Christmas and New Year.

To bring you up to date on matters Nakhon Sawan, the main news is that Bella Coffee closed it's doors a short while ago. Two nearby gaffs the Chef House and Cafe Sinouk are doing their best to replace it. Fairyland is apparently re-inventing itself as a dining out hub, lost track of how many new caffs have opened there recently, not sure if the rents are reasonable or otherwise. There were rumours a while ago of Makro taking over the old Tesco space but nothing has happened yet.

Not much else springs to mind, still hoping to arrange a charabanc trip to your local in Kampaeng Phet, so be prepared for an influx of argumentative old gits complaining about warm, overpriced Chang.

Wasn't so much of getting the hump, as turned off completely. Those Bloody pop ups Add's drove me mad.

Mild Mild I don't know if you know but the UK has had temp's of up or should that be down to -9c so this feels hot.

H/M and family will be out tonight for some sustenance H/M will of cause be in his designer shorts just a bit of trivia.

Talking of food it doesn't surprise me that the Bella has closed. Had reports from one of the locals about their last Christmas do being a total disaster. Over the top prices for what turned out to be a slice or was that two of Chicken and a bit of veg.

If you do decide to come Rott don't forget your K.P.P visa. Might be a wasted trip otherwise.

Bill.

I think the road peeps in N/S are getting all the share of the monies.

I did point out some time ago that even the repaired parts now have new pot holes and need repairing again.

Just thank Buddha we don't have to live there. At least we don't have to venture that way again now we have our own Visa place.

H/M K.P.Phet.

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Wasn't so much of getting the hump, as turned off completely. Those Bloody pop ups Add's drove me mad.

Mild Mild I don't know if you know but the UK has had temp's of up or should that be down to -9c so this feels hot.

H/M and family will be out tonight for some sustenance H/M will of cause be in his designer shorts just a bit of trivia.

Talking of food it doesn't surprise me that the Bella has closed. Had reports from one of the locals about their last Christmas do being a total disaster. Over the top prices for what turned out to be a slice or was that two of Chicken and a bit of veg.

If you do decide to come Rott don't forget your K.P.P visa. Might be a wasted trip otherwise.

Bill.

I think the road peeps in N/S are getting all the share of the monies.

I did point out some time ago that even the repaired parts now have new pot holes and need repairing again.

Just thank Buddha we don't have to live there. At least we don't have to venture that way again now we have our own Visa place.

H/M K.P.Phet.

I am trying to find out who has the responsibility for the roads around there so that I can sue them for a new set of false choppers. I swear I broke a set on that poxy bypass.

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

I am trying to find out who has the responsibility for the roads around there so that I can sue them for a new set of false choppers. I swear I broke a set on that poxy bypass.

May I suggest supper glue. Failing that liquidise your food.

As a last resort you could always change your ride to a tank. 

Fred K.P.P.

7 hours ago, fredob43 said:

May I suggest supper glue. Failing that liquidise your food.

As a last resort you could always change your ride to a tank. 

Fred K.P.P.

The road was so bad and my teeth were bouncing so much I could have turned a T-bone steak into mince in about 10 seconds.

SWMBO was the duty driver not me.

I think that I need one of these.

Its a lot less bovver with a hover.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

The roads are so bad here in the boonies of Nakhon Sawan Province that I keep a sports teeth guard in the truck and bike!  The best roads are actually from here to Nakhon Sawan but I haven't traveled north from there in a long time.  The roads were a lot better around here when they were dirt and gravel as they were graded occasionally but now that most of them have been covered with about 3cm of blacktop they are really a mess.  20 days after completion of the resurfacing they are nothing but potholes and now they can't be graded! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wayned said:

The roads are so bad here in the boonies of Nakhon Sawan Province that I keep a sports teeth guard in the truck and bike!  The best roads are actually from here to Nakhon Sawan but I haven't traveled north from there in a long time.  The roads were a lot better around here when they were dirt and gravel as they were graded occasionally but now that most of them have been covered with about 3cm of blacktop they are really a mess.  20 days after completion of the resurfacing they are nothing but potholes and now they can't be graded! 

I know it's a bit early but Happy Birthday Wayne for the 14th.

Do hope that your year has been better that the previous ones.

Not going to put your age in as it'll make the over 60 lot jealous.

A usual Donations presents can be sent Via H/M. I can assure everyone that I will pass some on. Once I have had a sort through that is. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder.   I stopped counting birthdays when I was 29.  It sounds better if it's called an anniversary so I'll be celebrating the 43red anniversary on the 14th.  Ignore H/M's advice and send all donations directly to me.   No sense in complaining any more since there's no one to listen other than the dogs and one of them kicked the bucket the day before yesterday!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bill the Elder,

Did you see this topic on Thaivisa-

Started by Hannes9, Saturday at 09:07 PM

How to build a natural swimming pool in Thailand.

It shows a sizable plastic lined 'pool' which I thought it might be of interest given your water situation and the need to prevent the water escaping through seepage.  I also saw that in the Land office complex off the KPP to Sukhotai road they had similarly lined some large ponds with plastic.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I must have missed that.

I went to his forum name and the thread and while there have been 12 replies none of them were from him so nobody knows the cost of the pool.

He actually had a pool built as opposed to the fish/water retention pond that we have with no bricks etc in it. It is nice and smooth all around where mine is about 45 metres long, 15 metres at its widest and varies between 1 to 3 metres deep.

Once again this year it never filled up and the maximum was about 1 metre below the overflow and since it stopped raining last month the level has dropped about another metre.

I am not sure of the best way to seal it. Either Bentonite clay, concrete or plastic but whichever one it won't be cheap. When the wet season is here it fills with leaves and gunk and in the dry scrub and trees grow in it. It would need to be completely cleared and smoothed out in the dry. Large amounts of weedkiller applied to kill off all the crap in there before it gets covered and then it is rain fed so in the rainy season it gets about 75% full and if it doesnt leak evaporation will dry it out.

The alternative would be to keep it topped up using the government water supply but of course that runs out in the dry season too. To fill it from empty will take about 500,000 litres AFAIR.

Evaporation can be worked out and the formula etc is here on Wikipedia  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporation

but TBH unless I have a borehole dug through granite my water bill will be huge and I won't gain much from it. we could put fish in it but then we have to feed them, aerate the water, pump more water, etc so the electricity bill goes up as well.

That of course is without the cost of sealing the pond in the first place. I don't think that the ROI is really worth it

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if someone can offer some advice on the following.

I want to take out a lease on land and the local Kamphaeng Phet Land Office is requesting ID.   Apparently my Australian passport is not sufficient and they want some sort of certified document (appropriately translated) from the Australian Government.   It is not specifically clear what they want.

Anyone been through this process before and know what they are asking for?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 10:50 AM, Chilon said:

I wonder if someone can offer some advice on the following.

I want to take out a lease on land and the local Kamphaeng Phet Land Office is requesting ID.   Apparently my Australian passport is not sufficient and they want some sort of certified document (appropriately translated) from the Australian Government.   It is not specifically clear what they want.

Anyone been through this process before and know what they are asking for?

Take your passport to Oz Embassy and ask for a certifying letter confirming that is YOUR passport and you are who you say you are.

On 12/9/2016 at 0:14 PM, billd766 said:

The road was so bad and my teeth were bouncing so much I could have turned a T-bone steak into mince in about 10 seconds.

l went the 117 going to Nackered Swan take my bike for extensive engine repairs, and it's a bit better than the last time l used it but in places, gee take off.

I'm going by bus to pick up the bike which comes from Kamphaeng phet l'll be able to see what's that like. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Hasn't the new Kwakers in Pillock opened yet .?. Next to the new Macro

Apparently so but l was told by Bangkok Kwacka Admin they don't have the facilities to accommodate big Kwacka bikes.

Visited the Oz Embassy and got the statement.   Haven't been into the KPP Land Office as yet so not sure it meets requirements.

Came back from Bangers via the Nakkers bypass etc.    If in the outside lane going North there is a bloody big pothole just over the crest of the bridge.   It is big enough to throw someone off a bike.

The highway north of Nakkers towards KPP is marginally better but I reckon the 117 is now worse than it was a few years ago.

Since it was Australia day the other day here is a joke told by an Australian prime Minister when Australia won the America's cup-

2 minutes ago, Chilon said:

The highway north of Nakkers towards KPP is marginally better but I reckon the 117 is now worse than it was a few years ago.

Came back from Nackers yesterday on 117 to Suk better than 3 or 4 years ago but still being improved but the big lorries will tear it to bits again in a few years or less.

The concrete road part is still a lousy road.

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand why the NS bypass and AH1 north of Nakhon Sawan are in such disrepair.  For the last two days the NS road grader, roller, water truck and 2 dump trucks have been upgrading the dirt road in front of my house that goes about 1.5 kilometers further on through the corn and cane fields, the "road to nowhere"!  Normally they come through about twice a year with the grader and a few loads of dirt and that's it, but this year they hauled dirt for two days and built up and rolled the road, looks like a dirt racetrack.  But what they did was block all of the natural drainage which was normally across the road so when rainy season arrives there will be a lake on one side as they did not put in any drain pipes.  Can't wait to see the mess, but it's good for now!

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

All roads lead to Nackered Swan l was told, bet people wish they would build a flyover over it. :biggrin:

A very good idea K, keep all the grockles away, less wear and tear on our roads and allow the residents to enjoy the Jewel of the Central Plain (or thereabouts) in peace.

• Like 1

It's been quite cool here in KPP province for the last few weeks.  At 7AM it was 17 deg C this morning and presumably colder than that overnight since some of the locals were wearing wool hats and coats as well as warming themselves by a fire.   The late rain and cooler weather seems to have helped the water situation as the local dam is still relatively full and the inflow looks strong.

Is it similar elsewhere?

13 hours ago, Chilon said:

It's been quite cool here in KPP province for the last few weeks.  At 7AM it was 17 deg C this morning and presumably colder than that overnight since some of the locals were wearing wool hats and coats as well as warming themselves by a fire.   The late rain and cooler weather seems to have helped the water situation as the local dam is still relatively full and the inflow looks strong.

Is it similar elsewhere?

Yep same in Suk not getting above 32 C at the mo where we are,  too many of those dam coach loads of foreigners coming here though. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the sticks, the last house on a dirt road and the last telephone hookup on the line.  Back in the early 2000s it took me 6 years just to get a TOT modem installed to use the internet, but it was limited to 1M download due to the distance to the amplifier.  A few years ago,Ttey upgraded the trunk line and installed another extender amp closer, 974 meters, and I have been using it at about 5-6M download, 490 baht/month, and thought that was it!  Last week TOT came to the house offering fiber, 50M download, 20M upload, for 700 baht/month and no installation fee.  I signed up thinking that it would be another 6 years before it happened, but they came back on Friday and installed the line and came yesterday and hooked up the new router.  Right now I'm getting 50.2M download and 18.9M upload to Bangkok. 

The next hurdle to cross will come when a sugar cane truck breaks the line and the repair is not a simple twist of the two copper wires.  But, for some reason the cane trucks this year are not overloaded and I haven't seen even one turned over so far. 

Will wonders ever cease

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, wayned said:

I live in the sticks, the last house on a dirt road and the last telephone hookup on the line.  Back in the early 2000s it took me 6 years just to get a TOT modem installed to use the internet, but it was limited to 1M download due to the distance to the amplifier.  A few years ago,Ttey upgraded the trunk line and installed another extender amp closer, 974 meters, and I have been using it at about 5-6M download, 490 baht/month, and thought that was it!  Last week TOT came to the house offering fiber, 50M download, 20M upload, for 700 baht/month and no installation fee.  I signed up thinking that it would be another 6 years before it happened, but they came back on Friday and installed the line and came yesterday and hooked up the new router.  Right now I'm getting 50.2M download and 18.9M upload to Bangkok. 

The next hurdle to cross will come when a sugar cane truck breaks the line and the repair is not a simple twist of the two copper wires.  But, for some reason the cane trucks this year are not overloaded and I haven't seen even one turned over so far. 

Will wonders ever cease

Well done TOT and you. They do seem to be getting there act together.

I have been using TOT for years, but lately they have got themselves sorted.

Was paying just over 1.050bt for 25mb also with Fibre optic. Went into their office a few months ago was told that I could have for a price of 600bt receive 30mb or pay up to 800bt for 90mb.

Like you chose their 700bt set up, now getting give or take 60mb pleased is not the word, quick as you like also a 350bt a month saving.  Some friends have chosen their 800bt thing and they are getting 95+mb. I always paid for 2 months at a time now pay the same amount and get 3 months.

Needless to say that the only slow up I get is T/Visa that sometimes takes 30 seconds or so to get into. Everything else is instant.

At present am in the UK (Mum none to well) am paying £25 a month for a whole "if lucky 4/5mb" BT internet the worst company I have ever used. Charge for everything and crap service.

Oh to be back in the land of a so called 3rd world country. Away from high prices for no service where no Bugger smiles. 

Keep sitting in the fuel station and waiting several minutes before realising that you have to do it yourself for over double the price Petrol.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.   

Edited by fredob43

I'm sorry that your mom is not well again and that you are having to go through this.  It must be a very trying time.  If you need anything here just let me know.

Now that the fiber has been in and operating for a week everything is still good with download averaging between 40-50Mbs.  But, I just can't wait to see what happens when one of the cane trucks snaps the line and it has to be repaired, not like twisting two copper wires together!

It's funny, every website has really gotten better except TV.  It the same old sluggish BS full of nonsense advertisements but I still do use it as it sometimes gives reliable info.  I'd complain but I'm still using XP and would get the "standard" answer from George that they no longer support the antiquated software that I am using.

Looks like you have been having some acceptable weather as I have been watching the 6 nations rugby.  It reached 39.5 in my living room yesterday afternoon so summer is here in full bore.

I just couldn't imagine self service gas stations here, it would be total chaos!

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:37 PM, wayned said:

I'm sorry that your mom is not well again and that you are having to go through this.  It must be a very trying time.  If you need anything here just let me know.

Now that the fiber has been in and operating for a week everything is still good with download averaging between 40-50Mbs.  But, I just can't wait to see what happens when one of the cane trucks snaps the line and it has to be repaired, not like twisting two copper wires together!

It's funny, every website has really gotten better except TV.  It the same old sluggish BS full of nonsense advertisements but I still do use it as it sometimes gives reliable info.  I'd complain but I'm still using XP and would get the "standard" answer from George that they no longer support the antiquated software that I am using.

Looks like you have been having some acceptable weather as I have been watching the 6 nations rugby.  It reached 39.5 in my living room yesterday afternoon so summer is here in full bore.

I just couldn't imagine self service gas stations here, it would be total chaos!

Sorry to say Mum went Wednesday morning around 8am.

Has been a bit hectic.

Almost done now, as luck would have it my Daughter is a solicitor and is doing all the paperwork. 

All should be sorted in the next day or two. With only the probate to sort out. That'll take several week if not months. Might with a bit of luck be able to get back in a few weeks. Can finalise most bit's over the internet or by Phone.

Nice having a smart arse in the family.

Suggest you change to a newer set up Wayne XP departed years ago.

Using 8 here and 10 in K.P.P. Windows 10 is real pain till you sort it out. Once you put all the bit's you use on your home page you can get out of the main set up. It'll then work fine.

33 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Sorry to say Mum went Wednesday morning around 8am.

Has been a bit hectic.

Almost done now, as luck would have it my Daughter is a solicitor and is doing all the paperwork. 

All should be sorted in the next day or two. With only the probate to sort out. That'll take several week if not months. Might with a bit of luck be able to get back in a few weeks. Can finalise most bit's over the internet or by Phone.

Nice having a smart arse in the family.

Suggest you change to a newer set up Wayne XP departed years ago.

Using 8 here and 10 in K.P.P. Windows 10 is real pain till you sort it out. Once you put all the bit's you use on your home page you can get out of the main set up. It'll then work fine.

Sorry to hear about your Mum, Fred.

It happens to us all and in my case it was back in 1973 while I was in the RAF and 12 days from being posted to Germany. The RAF generously moved my flight date from the Saturday morning to the following Monday afternoon.

Probate was no problem as she didn't have much. The bungalow was rented though the agent said that if I wanted to buy it I could but I was still single and off to Germany in a few days so I said no.

We buried my Mum the Monday after she died on the Wednesday. I went back and stayed with friends sometimes but after 1974 I don't think I went back more than a dozen times between then and now.

My TOT WiNet connection is going down about once a week now and though 3BB ran a fibre optic cable past the house in November despite repeated promises of next week it might not realise until June or July or even next year.