Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

Sorry to hear about your Mum, Fred.

It happens to us all and in my case it was back in 1973 while I was in the RAF and 12 days from being posted to Germany. The RAF generously moved my flight date from the Saturday morning to the following Monday afternoon.

Probate was no problem as she didn't have much. The bungalow was rented though the agent said that if I wanted to buy it I could but I was still single and off to Germany in a few days so I said no.

We buried my Mum the Monday after she died on the Wednesday. I went back and stayed with friends sometimes but after 1974 I don't think I went back more than a dozen times between then and now.

My TOT WiNet connection is going down about once a week now and though 3BB ran a fibre optic cable past the house in November despite repeated promises of next week it might not realise until June or July or even next year.

Thanks for you nice words Bill.

The funeral is going to be on the 4th April. Yes know it's a bit late but it was a time issue.

Looking forward to returning asap after that. Daughter will deal with everything this end. I can do my bit via the internet and phone (Skype)

Probate will take as long as it takes. Then it'll be sell the house. Carry on with what remains of my life.

Bloody freezing here so do need some warming up.

H/M.K.P.P

Fred to locals.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The road madness has started here.  I went to the local walking market early this morning, more like a zoo!  If you are going south on highway 11, a two lane road, you have to drive on the shoulder as the north bound traffic has taken over both lanes.  Got home okay and the truck will be parked where it is until next Tuesday.  My only trip will be the walk down the road on Friday to take my yearly ceremonial shower and have a couple of glasses of whatever they are serving!  Have a happy and safe New Year!

Edited by wayned
  • Like 2

Good on yer Wayne, just curious which is the big (bad) day for traffic going back to Bangkok?

Going out to the bank and for a few scoops, then I will not be out till Sunday at the earliest. <deleted> Songkran.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rott said:

Good on yer Wayne, just curious which is the big (bad) day for traffic going back to Bangkok?

Going out to the bank and for a few scoops, then I will not be out till Sunday at the earliest. <deleted> Songkran.

H/M returned today 12th. Left BKK Airport at around 4pm. 9 was moving well due to it being free of costs. 

Traffic was heavy but at least it moved.

Going south to BKK on the 1.32AR was almost empty. Usual Cock up nearer to BKK going both ways. But once north of Ang Tong going north seemed to be flowing fine. Albeit they were still driving like crazy even using the hard shoulder at high speed, normal I suppose.

They were by the way lobbing water, I thought that started on the 13th???

K.P.P was empty not a sole about. I have been informed that most of the lunch time restaurants have closed for the duration.

No doubt H/H will find some open tomorrow. Will of cause be in the Limo with windows up

Will also be at the back of any places that are open. At least they don't go crazy here.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fredob43 said:

H/M returned today 12th. Left BKK Airport at around 4pm. 9 was moving well due to it being free of costs. 

Traffic was heavy but at least it moved.

Going south to BKK on the 1.32AR was almost empty. Usual Cock up nearer to BKK going both ways. But once north of Ang Tong going north seemed to be flowing fine. Albeit they were still driving like crazy even using the hard shoulder at high speed, normal I suppose.

They were by the way lobbing water, I thought that started on the 13th???

K.P.P was empty not a sole about. I have been informed that most of the lunch time restaurants have closed for the duration.

No doubt H/H will find some open tomorrow. Will of cause be in the Limo with windows up

Will also be at the back of any places that are open. At least they don't go crazy here.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

Welcome back to the warmth of paradise. Glad to see you got back safely.

I have a couple of friends from Germany staying though they go back to BKK tomorrow and Germany on Monday night.

A clump of the BKK family came up last night for Songkran but I will not be going far from the stronghold until next week and absolutely nowhere on the motorbike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

Welcome back to the warmth of paradise. Glad to see you got back safely.

I have a couple of friends from Germany staying though they go back to BKK tomorrow and Germany on Monday night.

A clump of the BKK family came up last night for Songkran but I will not be going far from the stronghold until next week and absolutely nowhere on the motorbike.

Went out for lunch today lots of places open. Some of the local ones were closed though. The G/L doesn't venture to far on the M/C.

No buggers were lobbing water came back to the house without a single drip on the Limo.

Out again tonight for yet more dinning H/M doesn't do eating in or cooking on his first days back.

Must say the weather is very pleasant was 38c 99f at 1pm. Just the thing to warm the old bones.

Whatever much better than what I left in Blighty that's in single figures this week.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

• Like 1

No Easter Eggs and now five days in and free of alcohol, how much can one farang take??

Well nothing can be done about the former, but tomorrow I will venture out for a few pints and hang the dangers to life and limb.

Welcome back Fred.

Edited by rott
edit: Mrs R has returned saying that much water is still being heaved about. will review sitrep on the morrow.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, rott said:

No Easter Eggs and now five days in and free of alcohol, how much can one farang take??

Well nothing can be done about the former, but tomorrow I will venture out for a few pints and hang the dangers to life and limb.

Welcome back Fred.

I stocked up on Hong Thong whisky for me, Blend 285 for 'er indoors, soda, coca cola for the kids and ice. My wife went out to do market shopping, The kids played Songkran whilst I skulked at home totally relaxed. My motorbike stayed parked for a week at home.

Sadly no Easter eggs though.

Well that went off OK. Hmmm, Hong Thong and Blend 285, you two must be popular at parties. If this was the UK they would put you next to the fire to keep the kids away. But here I suppose you just sort of blend in.

Good natured joshing and banter aside, the bulk of it is over and we are almost back to normal. Saw no water at all yesterday, but the dragon says tomorrow is the major and final event.

Getting a bit hot, but it has not been as bad as the last two years, must check the long term forecast and see when the regular rain is due.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, rott said:

Welcome back Fred.

Thank you for the welcome back. Its been a tad busy in Blighty. Mum passed a few weeks ago. Sad time for all she did get to 96 so had a good innings. Brain still as sharp as a knife but her body just gave up.

Everything went well. Daughters dealing with everything enabling H/M to return and take it easy.

Have given TV a bit of a miss, mainly due to not being able to get on line 'as normal' 

Off for a short holiday on the 24th, so wont be about to keep you lot in order. It would be nice if you can stay sober Bill.

News on K.P.P. not a lot of water lobbing this year had been out several times and didn't see one bit. There must have been some maybe I just missed it.

Will be back on the 2/3 May. Time then to have a catch up.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The things you learn about in Thailand-bloody termites.

The house in the village has been finished for a  few years now and we discovered termites a couple of years ago.  It is mainly brick and concrete so apart from a window sill here and a corner of a cupboard there it didn't suffer too much.  The termites were exterminated over a year ago and haven't given them much thought until the kitchen ceiling fell in this week.

I recall seeing some of the ceiling supports being put up and that they were steel.  Turns out that was the exception-most of them are wood and the little bastards had eaten them prior to dying.  So a year or so later the wood supports give way and down it starts to come.

Not to worry ,found a mob that does ceilings for 100B /m2 plus material so off we go to fix it.  

This morning the water stops in the upstairs bathroom-I come downstairs, water everywhere.  The fixers managed to hit a concealed pipe embedded in the upper floor concrete.

Absolutely no good reason why the pipe was buried in the concrete as there was adequate space between floor and ceiling.   The other  thing I can't understand is that the wood came from the old wooden house that had stood for 40 years with no signs of termite damage.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chilon said:

The things you learn about in Thailand-bloody termites.

The house in the village has been finished for a  few years now and we discovered termites a couple of years ago.  It is mainly brick and concrete so apart from a window sill here and a corner of a cupboard there it didn't suffer too much.  The termites were exterminated over a year ago and haven't given them much thought until the kitchen ceiling fell in this week.

I recall seeing some of the ceiling supports being put up and that they were steel.  Turns out that was the exception-most of them are wood and the little bastards had eaten them prior to dying.  So a year or so later the wood supports give way and down it starts to come.

Not to worry ,found a mob that does ceilings for 100B /m2 plus material so off we go to fix it.  

This morning the water stops in the upstairs bathroom-I come downstairs, water everywhere.  The fixers managed to hit a concealed pipe embedded in the upper floor concrete.

Absolutely no good reason why the pipe was buried in the concrete as there was adequate space between floor and ceiling.   The other  thing I can't understand is that the wood came from the old wooden house that had stood for 40 years with no signs of termite damage.

No one said life would be easy.

Tip Bill always watch what Thai builders install. Make sure that there is never anything wood.

At least your new place should be fine. That's of cause you don't forget to invite Mrs H/M to the grand opening of same.

I have seen some peeps turn into a block of salt or should that be Sutone. With just one look into her eyes. 

Buddha only knows what could occur if she has been left out of the invite list.

I did pop in this morning everything seems to be going on well. Loof nearly finished. Alas there at present doesn't seem to be any progress on our fishing hut.

Mrs H/M did suggest that the large bit of land to the left side as you pull into the drive, would be fine for a massive pool and a tennis court or two. Just a thought.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

Edited by fredob43

Excellent idea Fred.  I think a 50Mx10Mx2M pool would be just the shot.  Should be around 1000 tonnes of soil to be dug out and I can use it to level the land.

I've got a couple of shovels and a wheelbarrow so if you and your missus would like to wander over I'll show you where to start digging.

And by the way the rainy season is about to start so best to get it done soon.   I'll buy you some 40 degrees and fried chicken when you're done and chuck in a free days fishing.

What do you reckon-deal?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chilon said:

Excellent idea Fred.  I think a 50Mx10Mx2M pool would be just the shot.  Should be around 1000 tonnes of soil to be dug out and I can use it to level the land.

I've got a couple of shovels and a wheelbarrow so if you and your missus would like to wander over I'll show you where to start digging.

And by the way the rainy season is about to start so best to get it done soon.   I'll buy you some 40 degrees and fried chicken when you're done and chuck in a free days fishing.

What do you reckon-deal?

Digging Digging you should know by now that H/M doesn't do digging or any Chores come to that. Woman's work so the Wife tells me.

Re the free day fishing. One think's that one is dreaming a tad. What you don't seem to realise is that when you pop off back to the land of winter (It will be by the time you go) The world will be my Oyster.

Like yesterday I'll just pull in, No bugger will question it. I think it's the royal chain and the pennants on the Limo that worries them. Only problem I can see at present is the lack of loos.

One is certainly not going to use the Dunny surrounded by the corrugated tin that the builders have erected in the corner. Just wouldn't be Cricket. 

Do believe that your off soon. Note to self must sort out my fishing gear.

H/M. K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

13 hours ago, Chilon said:

What do you reckon-deal?

Where is your new place?

It took me ages to find the last one.

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Where is your new place?

It took me ages to find the last one.

Bill the elder.

Its on the river about 5km from my place. Sorry don't know address or if it even has one. If you had difficulties finding his other one you will never find this.

You could try taking a boat down river, the thing that look like a very large Palace is it. 

Idea of Large his old house would fit into the new ones garage.

H/M. K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Bill the elder.

Its on the river about 5km from my place. Sorry don't know address or if it even has one. If you had difficulties finding his other one you will never find this.

You could try taking a boat down river, the thing that look like a very large Palace is it. 

Idea of Large his old house would fit into the new ones garage.

H/M. K.P.P.

Fred to locals.

I think I will take a pass on that one then.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

I think I will take a pass on that one then.

Once Bill the younger has returned to his own land 'few weeks' you could have a day of two fishing with H/M. I'm sure Bill won't mind Cos I'm not going to tell him. Digging indeed.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals. 

4 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Once Bill the younger has returned to his own land 'few weeks' you could have a day of two fishing with H/M. I'm sure Bill won't mind Cos I'm not going to tell him. Digging indeed.

H/M K.P.P.

Fred to locals. 

Only 4 things are needed to go fishing,

1 String

2 brick

3 Lighter

4 Dynamite

Use the string to tie the dynamite to the brick

Using the lighter you light the fuse

Always remember to throw the brick, string and dynamite into the water quickly

Then retreat to a safe distance and catch the fish as they fall from the sky

• Like 1

Fred,

No worries, just drop by anytime.   If we're not there the Rottweiler will be glad to see you.   It will be on starvation rations and will appreciate a bit of fresh meat.

Shouldn't have to worry too much about the toileting facilities, your bowels will probably loosen up with the hound in pursuit and peristaltic movements will quickly follow.  If it manages to get a grip on your jodhpurs, chaps or breeches it may even be able to help you drop your daks.

Changing the topic slightly-one of the neighbours had a stainless steel longtail boat made up.  Looks nice but bloody heavy. and presumably expensive   I'm thinking an aluminium shallow draft one would be better if I can find someone to build it.

Bill,

The new house is in KPP, south side of the river and not far from Fred's place.  If you are visiting Fred he might be able to take you there.   Alternatively we're back in June so if you are in KPP and feel like visiting let me know and I'll give you directions and my phone number to assist.

• Like 1

On another topic, i had a pair of glasses made up at the KPP Big C mall.  Told them I wanted distance vision only, not multifocal.

Picked them up 4 days later, seemed OK in the shop but when I put them on at the house everything level in the middle distance looked like it was tilted down on the right hand side.   It was as if I was walking at an angle.

Without glasses the world doesn't look like that, just looks a bit blurry.   Beats me what they've done.

Anyone else had glasses successfully made up over here?

1 hour ago, Chilon said:

Fred,

No worries, just drop by anytime.   If we're not there the Rottweiler will be glad to see you.   It will be on starvation rations and will appreciate a bit of fresh meat.

Shouldn't have to worry too much about the toileting facilities, your bowels will probably loosen up with the hound in pursuit and peristaltic movements will quickly follow.  If it manages to get a grip on your jodhpurs, chaps or breeches it may even be able to help you drop your daks.

Changing the topic slightly-one of the neighbours had a stainless steel longtail boat made up.  Looks nice but bloody heavy. and presumably expensive   I'm thinking an aluminium shallow draft one would be better if I can find someone to build it.

Bill,

The new house is in KPP, south side of the river and not far from Fred's place.  If you are visiting Fred he might be able to take you there.   Alternatively we're back in June so if you are in KPP and feel like visiting let me know and I'll give you directions and my phone number to assist.

Hi Bill

Thanks for the invite.

I generally get up to the sin filled city about once a month plus 4 times a year for a hospital check up and 4 times a year trying to find where the Immigration office moved to since I went there last.

1 hour ago, Chilon said:

On another topic, i had a pair of glasses made up at the KPP Big C mall.  Told them I wanted distance vision only, not multifocal.

Picked them up 4 days later, seemed OK in the shop but when I put them on at the house everything level in the middle distance looked like it was tilted down on the right hand side.   It was as if I was walking at an angle.

Without glasses the world doesn't look like that, just looks a bit blurry.   Beats me what they've done.

Anyone else had glasses successfully made up over here?

The last ones I had made were about 4 years ago in BKK on Sukhumvit road. They are multifocus in each lens and polychromatic. They cost about 14,000 baht then.

I had ones made at Top Charon in Takhli a few years back.  Blended bifocals.  Only use them while driving at night but they did a good job.  Cost 6000 baht for two pair.

• Like 1

Whisper it quietly but word reaches me that you can now buy pies, curries, cooked meat, bacon, sausage, imported tinned stuff etc in Nakhon Sawan. And at relatively reasonable prices. A "fine foods" retailer is now trading on Soi Dawvadeong adjacent to the Thai Hotel.  The large, jovial Australian is still in an early days phase but already appears to have a regular customer base in say a 60 mile radius. Watch this space.!!!

• Like 1

Khampaeng Phet seems to have had the highest rainfall of the country in the 24 hours ending at 07:00 this morning.

248.9 mm. The total for the year so far is 618.3 mm.

https://www.tmd.go.th/programs/uploads/ReportsGenMetnet/Daily/DailyObserved7AM-en.pdf

That means that 40% of this years rainfall fell yesterday. No wonder my laundry didn't get dry.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

No posts on Nakhon Sawan News for over 7 weeks.!!! At this rate we'll be getting called into the office to explain ourselves.

Let's see, some eating and drinking places and coffee'n cake gaffs have opened. Others have closed. One is in the process of being fitted out and looks almost ready to open.

Posters on here frequently seem preoccupied with road and traffic problems. Sorry I cannot really comment as my main problem is staying on the back of a motorsy taxi after a few drinks.

Er, there has been a lot of rain lately.

Saving the best till last, NS now has TWO roundabouts. At either end of the road at the back of SriSawan Hospital facing the park.

Phew, double doses of blood pressure tablets all round and I for one will be having an extra strong cocoa tonight.

• Haha 1