Nakhon Sawan News

nong38

Been really quiet here lately, no posts for over three months, hope everybody is still Okay.

I did my 1 year extension at Nakhon Sawan  last Thursday using the new Bank statement method since the US Embassy Income Affidavit is no longer available.  I did it three weeks early just in case there were problems.

The 12 month bank statement is not generated at my branch, Takhli, it comes from Bangkok and requires that you go to the bank and fill out and sign an application.  It takes 4-5 working days which I did.  I picked up the statement Thursday morning on the way to immigration.  The girl at the front desk reviewed my paperwork and told me that I also needed a letter from the bank showing the balance in the account even though the "official" bank statement showed the current balance, a whopping 645 baht.  I envisioned having to drive back to Takhli but she told me that I could get it at the local Branch next to the big market at the end of Sawanvitee road.  I went to the bank and getting the statement was no problem, another 100 baht in addition to the 200 baht for the bank statement.

When I got back the Officer, a different one than the Sgt. Major that has always done them in the past,  had already reviewed the paperwork so it was take my picture and get the documents signed by the chief.  It took about1 hour even with my side trip to the bank.  I also got a Residence certificate to renew my DL while I was there, cost 500 baht.

The new girl has been there for a while and speaks fairly good English and was efficient and friendly.

I stopped at Makro on the way home and was very disappointed; no lamb, no beef, no anchovies, no tortillas, no big blocks of cheese and the dishes and kitchen articles disappeared being replaced by take away paraphernalia.  Guess I saved some money but was looking at restocking my pantry and freezer.

All in all it was a shorter day than having to drive to Bangkok.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:04 AM, wayned said:

Been really quiet here lately, no posts for over three months, hope everybody is still Okay.

I did my 1 year extension at Nakhon Sawan  last Thursday using the new Bank statement method since the US Embassy Income Affidavit is no longer available.  I did it three weeks early just in case there were problems.

The 12 month bank statement is not generated at my branch, Takhli, it comes from Bangkok and requires that you go to the bank and fill out and sign an application.  It takes 4-5 working days which I did.  I picked up the statement Thursday morning on the way to immigration.  The girl at the front desk reviewed my paperwork and told me that I also needed a letter from the bank showing the balance in the account even though the "official" bank statement showed the current balance, a whopping 645 baht.  I envisioned having to drive back to Takhli but she told me that I could get it at the local Branch next to the big market at the end of Sawanvitee road.  I went to the bank and getting the statement was no problem, another 100 baht in addition to the 200 baht for the bank statement.

When I got back the Officer, a different one than the Sgt. Major that has always done them in the past,  had already reviewed the paperwork so it was take my picture and get the documents signed by the chief.  It took about1 hour even with my side trip to the bank.  I also got a Residence certificate to renew my DL while I was there, cost 500 baht.

The new girl has been there for a while and speaks fairly good English and was efficient and friendly.

I stopped at Makro on the way home and was very disappointed; no lamb, no beef, no anchovies, no tortillas, no big blocks of cheese and the dishes and kitchen articles disappeared being replaced by take away paraphernalia.  Guess I saved some money but was looking at restocking my pantry and freezer.

All in all it was a shorter day than having to drive to Bangkok.

Glad to hear that things are plodding along at your end Wayne. All going well here. 

I did my visa a month or so ago at jolly old K.P.Phet I/O. I don't use the income set up I have just put 800th: in the bank. Much easier than Marriage or income method. Letter from bank 100bht 1 page to fill out. 1 snap of my good self and a couple of copies of passport. Oh and they do now require a map of where you live. Wife did that only has to be done once as they keep it on file for future reference. Took around 30 min:

Off to Pattaya in a few weeks to see some friends that will be on holiday. Will be spending two whole nights there (Two nights to long for me) But enough time for a catch up. Might do a bit of shopping but the rest of the time will be unpacking, eating, And getting out ASAP. Little detour on the way back to pick up a local friend from the Airport. He will be arriving the day before and making his way to A/P the next morning.

Good to see that your still going along OK. Regards to all from us in K.P.Phet. 

Little update on why I don't put anything on TV now, Lately there just seems to be the same old people that need to get some sort of life, Just putting on their know it all know nothing rubbish on. TVF seems to be a dying breed bit like Yahoo. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Fred TVF seems to have lost some of it's pizzazz - whatever that is. Perhaps it's just the posters getting older, nothing is new, fresh and vibrant any more. Can't keep coming on just to say paradise is still great. ????

NS still has bars closing and opening, a few rumoured to be re-opening shortly, and the new kid on the block is the Blah Blah bar. So I am told anyway.

Thanks to Wayne for shaking us up a bit.

Edited by rott

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 6:01 PM, rott said:

I agree Fred TVF seems to have lost some of it's pizzazz - whatever that is. Perhaps it's just the posters getting older, nothing is new, fresh and vibrant any more. Can't keep coming on just to say paradise is still great. ????

NS still has bars closing and opening, a few rumoured to be re-opening shortly, and the new kid on the block is the Blah Blah bar. So I am told anyway.

Thanks to Wayne for shaking us up a bit.

H/M perchance was in N/Sawan yesterday the 5th Nov: trying to get wife and daughter a Passport. All went T/ts up as I didn't bring my passport. I & wife thought that all their stuff was enough. Well turns out that if a person is less than 20 years old father needs to have all their own goodies as well. Now have all required but will leave it a couple of days as trips to N/S are a tad boring at best. 

Roads have improved a tad but still not great surface wise. Not going to mention traffic. Oh I have, whatever still just a bad.

The clock outside Big C was about correct this time makes a change, but the Temp: gauge under it was all over the place saying it was a lot hotter than it was. At least 50% isn't to bad for N/S.

H/M K.P.Phet. 

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Apparently Nakhon Sawan is becoming a hotspot according to the Bangkok Post!

See here... 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1803899/nakhon-sawan-becomes-hotspot-with-attractions

????????????

All I can say is that someone has paid the BKK post a lot of monies to tell lies. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was much the same as it's always been. Car Lorries plodding through the hoards of traffic belching out the usual fumes. The best thing I have ever found about N/S was getting out.

Oh must make a mention of their I/O as that has always been good not that I use it now. Lot's of extra peeps visiting thanks for the laugh.

H/M will be going south this Saturday the 30th Nov: will I go into N/S not on your life, I'll use the Bypass.

H/M K.P.Phet. 

Edited by fredob43

7 hours ago, fredob43 said:

All I can say is that someone has paid the BKK post a lot of monies to tell lies. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was much the same as it's always been. Car Lorries plodding through the hoards of traffic belching out the usual fumes. The best thing I have ever found about N/S was getting out.

Oh must make a mention of their I/O as that has always been good not that I use it now. Lot's of extra peeps visiting thanks for the laugh.

H/M will be going south this Saturday the 30th Nov: will I go into N/S not on your life, I'll use the Bypass.

H/M K.P.Phet. 

I'll be sure to have them go out tonight and dig up the bypass so that you will have something more to complain about NS.  Hope that you had a happy thanksgiving, Turkey and potato pies with chicken feet soup?

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:55 PM, wayned said:

I'll be sure to have them go out tonight and dig up the bypass so that you will have something more to complain about NS.  Hope that you had a happy thanksgiving, Turkey and potato pies with chicken feet soup?

Wayne.

H/M will never complain about N/S again. Have just spent 2 nights in Pattaya. Went to see friends who were on holiday. By the way it's going I don't think they are far off the Black Death. What with the Stink from the drains and Rats running about. At least this time I didn't get the usual sitting on the Loo for Hours/Days.

We went out one night and my friends ordered 2 Chicken and Cashew nuts dishes, They like things plain, here we would pay around 55 BHT each for a big plate. And for that it would come up with rice. They were charged 380bt for the 2 dishes or 10 UK pounds + Rice at 30bht a go. And that wasn't in a hotel it was some cheapo Thai restaurant at the side of the road. Where they get their prices from Buddha only knows.

So if anyone is thinking of going to either Pattaya or N/S I can highly recommend N/S.

H/M K.P.Phet.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, Chris.B said:

Xmas coming!

Where is the nearest Xmas dinner I can get to Nakhon Sawan/Kamphaeng phet?

You can forget K.P.Phet as I don't know anywhere that is doing it this year. No one wants the aggro it seems. Some Hotels might do it but I doubt it'll be any good. What if anything will be happening in N/S some of the locals might know.

All of us some 20+ will as usual be going to a friends house and having a party. We will all take our own food to save them cooking. I'll be taking an Indian Lamb Curry and my wife is going to do a Delish Chicken feet dish. I can send you some of the latter if you fancy. 

H/M K.P.Phet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wayned and others who may be in/near Nakhon Sawan. I just moved to NS a few weeks ago and settling in. I have rented a condo near the Lake (Hong Chai Krui center of town) by the Sri Sawan hospital. Wondering if you know of any local Thai language tutors who take on students for one-on-one daily tutoring sessions? I will be here in NS through March 2020 and really hope to improve my very basic Thai abilities. May move here permanently but that will depend on my Thai wife's ability to land a teaching job in NS

Also any restaurant recommendations near to central of town lake park?

Thanks 

Dan B

10 hours ago, idannyb said:

Hi Wayned and others who may be in/near Nakhon Sawan. I just moved to NS a few weeks ago and settling in. I have rented a condo near the Lake (Hong Chai Krui center of town) by the Sri Sawan hospital. Wondering if you know of any local Thai language tutors who take on students for one-on-one daily tutoring sessions? I will be here in NS through March 2020 and really hope to improve my very basic Thai abilities. May move here permanently but that will depend on my Thai wife's ability to land a teaching job in NS

Thanks 

Dan B

Hi, welcome to Nakhon Sawan.  I'm no help at all.  I live in Nakhon Sawan Province but about 100 kilometers south east in the middle of corn and sugar cane fields, the last house on what used to be a dirt road, now a partially paved pothole.  My trip to Muang Nakhon Sawan are my yearly trips to immigration to extend my stay foe another year.  I come in from the south and exit as soon as I cross the bridge before the light and take the back way which ends at the entrance to immigration's parking lot.  I wave to my wife's family's relatives as I pass the prison.  On the way out I make my yearly stop at Makro and then home the back way past the railway station.  Many moons ago I did teach mathematics at Satri Nakhon Sawan school which was a pleasant place to work but was finally forced out due to my age and complaints from Thai teachers that were forced to retire at 60 and come back as contract employees at ridiculously low pay.

7 hours ago, wayned said:

Hi, welcome to Nakhon Sawan.  I'm no help at all.  I live in Nakhon Sawan Province but about 100 kilometers south east in the middle of corn and sugar cane fields, the last house on what used to be a dirt road, now a partially paved pothole.  My trip to Muang Nakhon Sawan are my yearly trips to immigration to extend my stay foe another year.  I come in from the south and exit as soon as I cross the bridge before the light and take the back way which ends at the entrance to immigration's parking lot.  I wave to my wife's family's relatives as I pass the prison.  On the way out I make my yearly stop at Makro and then home the back way past the railway station.  Many moons ago I did teach mathematics at Satri Nakhon Sawan school which was a pleasant place to work but was finally forced out due to my age and complaints from Thai teachers that were forced to retire at 60 and come back as contract employees at ridiculously low pay.

I know that it's a few days away but happy Birthday Wayne.

H/M K.P.Phet.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:45 PM, fredob43 said:

Wayne.

H/M will never complain about N/S again. Have just spent 2 nights in Pattaya. Went to see friends who were on holiday. By the way it's going I don't think they are far off the Black Death. What with the Stink from the drains and Rats running about. At least this time I didn't get the usual sitting on the Loo for Hours/Days.

We went out one night and my friends ordered 2 Chicken and Cashew nuts dishes, They like things plain, here we would pay around 55 BHT each for a big plate. And for that it would come up with rice. They were charged 380bt for the 2 dishes or 10 UK pounds + Rice at 30bht a go. And that wasn't in a hotel it was some cheapo Thai restaurant at the side of the road. Where they get their prices from Buddha only knows.

So if anyone is thinking of going to either Pattaya or N/S I can highly recommend N/S.

H/M K.P.Phet.

A very unfortunate choice then Fred. Plenty of cheap options about although to be fair I am thinking daytime.

One excellent night cheapo is opposite the Wonderful 1 bar in Soi Yamato (13/1 to newbies) alongside the Privi hotel, limited choice but for between 40 to 60 baht a plate no complaints at all.

Not seen a rat here for a long time though I don't doubt their presence. Definitely no snakes, more than can be said for NS and KP. Excellent places though they are. :)

19 hours ago, idannyb said:

Thanks 

Dan B

If you want to splash the cash, 4 5 6 near the bus station is highly recommended.

Analog in the Soi leading from the lake to the Aramis hotel has recently re-opened I am told, was always popular. Alternatively most of the open air Thai eating/drinking places by the lake are fine. Thais always rave about the Baan Isaan but it is up to a 20 minute drive away. My memory is a bit vague for further info.

Thanks for the welcome Wayne! I'm enjoying Nakhon Sawan so far ... the night scene around the city center lake park is really something! It's a hub of athletic and social activities ... Tai Chi in the morning hours and fitness dancing at night, along with most every popular sport in Thailand: running, biking, badminton, basketball, volleyball, roller-blading, skateboarding and several sports I'm not familiar with-- a Thai version of croquet and a version of boce ball. Those are but a few of the activities that many thousands partake in here at the lake park. I still play some basketball and have joined some of the games here at the park. But I'm 62 and can't jump anymore. Fun nonetheless. 

I'll keep searching for a local Thai tutor. I'm sure I will eventually find someone who can help me get a better footing with the native language.

Best 

idannyb

2 hours ago, rott said:

A very unfortunate choice then Fred. Plenty of cheap options about although to be fair I am thinking daytime.

One excellent night cheapo is opposite the Wonderful 1 bar in Soi Yamato (13/1 to newbies) alongside the Privi hotel, limited choice but for between 40 to 60 baht a plate no complaints at all.

Not seen a rat here for a long time though I don't doubt their presence. Definitely no snakes, more than can be said for NS and KP. Excellent places though they are. ????

Alas I didn't pick the restaurant my friends did. I do know Patts very well and I would have picked a much different place. But as stated they do like plain food (Nothing spicy). Their Hotel was in Nakluea, so unless we went local it was B/Bus time. And I try not to get those if possible.

Whatever it wasn't to bad for H/M as they paid for the meal anyway.

Re the rats in Patts. They tend to come out night time. I was watching them at play as I sat on my balcony gazing at the Ladies at their work. Or coming home? after a short time. Strange how they find these funny hours jobs.

H/M K.P.Phet. 

On 12/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, Chris.B said:

Xmas coming!

Where is the nearest Xmas dinner I can get to Nakhon Sawan/Kamphaeng phet?

I think you will be lucky if anywhere is doing anything in Nakhon Sawan. Just not enough farang about.

If you are looking for a bit of farang company on the 25th try the Malee (in the Soi mentioned re Analog) or the Blah Blah bar, lunchtimeish.

Edited by rott

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, idannyb said:

Thanks for the welcome Wayne! I'm enjoying Nakhon Sawan so far ... the night scene around the city center lake park is really something! It's a hub of athletic and social activities ... Tai Chi in the morning hours and fitness dancing at night, along with most every popular sport in Thailand: running, biking, badminton, basketball, volleyball, roller-blading, skateboarding and several sports I'm not familiar with-- a Thai version of croquet and a version of boce ball. Those are but a few of the activities that many thousands partake in here at the lake park. I still play some basketball and have joined some of the games here at the park. But I'm 62 and can't jump anymore. Fun nonetheless. 

I'll keep searching for a local Thai tutor. I'm sure I will eventually find someone who can help me get a better footing with the native language.

Best 

idannyb

How is NS treating you then, if you're still there? 

Don't know what's gone wrong with this forum, used to be the pride of the Central Plain. I think a general decline in enthusiasm for posting etc. 

On 7/5/2020 at 3:09 AM, rott said:

How is NS treating you then, if you're still there? 

Don't know what's gone wrong with this forum, used to be the pride of the Central Plain. I think a general decline in enthusiasm for posting etc. 

Stuck in USA and hoping to be allowed to come back to be w wife and family. Not easy right now... Thai Govt has set up many flaming hoops that I must jump through. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If any of you get one of those "Life Certificates" from the Pension Service in the UK, the form they send for proof of life which ensures your UK State Pension will continue to be paid,  NS Immigration can witness the form for you. The forms are sent out randomly so you may never get one or you may get more than one over time but its handy to know that they will sign and stamp for you.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, Chris.B said:

Can anyone recommend a good dentist in Nakhon Sawan?

The one I use is on the corner opposite the Technical College in Sawanvittee. opposite side of the Road to BIG C and about 300 yards down, they are closed on Wednesday.

There is a new bus station soon to be built on the Krok Pra road in Kowloon district, its on the corner of Sawnvittee 67 opposite the current bus shelter, the land is being cleared slowly and I suspect it will be for smaller buses/vans.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 10:51 AM, nong38 said:

If any of you get one of those "Life Certificates" from the Pension Service in the UK, the form they send for proof of life which ensures your UK State Pension will continue to be paid,  NS Immigration can witness the form for you. The forms are sent out randomly so you may never get one or you may get more than one over time but its handy to know that they will sign and stamp for you.

I got one of those this morning. It's my 3rd in 7+ years. Got the first one signed in N/S I/O, as I had to use them then. The last one at my Bank in K.P.Phet. So Tuesday I will pop along to K/K bank, and get them to do it again. Our local cops shop also does it. N/B I just got them to stamp it and I filled out the other bit's in English. Whatever it's a pain in the Butt.

H/M. K.P.Phet.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This morning I am informed that NS has 100 covid cases and that the hospital (presumably the government hospital) is full. 

This seems to contradict the official figures and they are the ones I am inclined to believe. 

Anyone know anything.?