Why Are There So Many Americans In Chiang Mai?

BookMan

As an American, these are a few of the reasons that I am here:

1. Police are not on every street corner.

2. Taking an airplane does not require you to have your privates fondled by a pervert.

3. The corruption in Thailand is much lower than in America.

4. The women are not ashamed to be a woman nor act like one.

5. The women on average are 25k smaller.

6. Problems can usually be resolved without a lawyer and huge expenses.

7. Healthcare is much cheaper tho not as good.

8. 0bama bumper stickers are nowhere to be found.

My country seems to be having a few problems lately.

Same anywhere in LOS, thread is about CM. cowboy.gif Still say cos 5 McD's.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're American please dont come here thinking its SF; you will simply add to the problem.... the unis already have an 80% population of those 'batting for the other side' hard to believe but true.

my biggest fear is that i will turn one day (all said tongue in cheek!)

Why is a large gay population a problem? BTW, I think you are grossly exaggerating. Even San Francisco includes only 30 percent gay people.

That sounds about right, but wouldn't you say that's still 3-4 times the national average? Or more, I don't know.

As far as gays turning CM into a SF, I don't think that will happen. I DO believe gays are AT LEAST as exploitive of the local people here as are normal "sexpats" who come here to exploit locals sexually. Anyway, it's not much to do with Americans. I find bthe hetero and homo from whichever country are pretty much similar on their visits here.

If you're American please dont come here thinking its SF; you will simply add to the problem.... the unis already have an 80% population of those 'batting for the other side' hard to believe but true.

my biggest fear is that i will turn one day (all said tongue in cheek!)

Why is a large gay population a problem? BTW, I think you are grossly exaggerating. Even San Francisco includes only 30 percent gay people.

That sounds about right, but wouldn't you say that's still 3-4 times the national average? Or more, I don't know.

As far as gays turning CM into a SF, I don't think that will happen. I DO believe gays are AT LEAST as exploitive of the local people here as are normal "sexpats" who come here to exploit locals sexually. Anyway, it's not much to do with Americans. I find bthe hetero and homo from whichever country are pretty much similar on their visits here.

Yes, San Francisco has been a gay mecca and probably has the highest percentage of gay people as any big city on the planet, but still just 30 percent. In the entire population, probably about 2 - 3 percent. I seriously doubt the expat population of CM is anywhere even close to 30 percent. I agree gay people are no better and no worse than anyone else. However, I don't appreciate the trash talk about the gays taking over and how bad it is, especially when quite obviously the gays are not taking over.

+1

( Jingting)Yes, San Francisco has been a gay mecca and probably has the highest percentage of gay people as any big city on the planet, but still just 30 percent. In the entire population, probably about 2 - 3 percent. I seriously doubt the expat population of CM is anywhere even close to 30 percent. I agree gay people are no better and no worse than anyone else. However, I don't appreciate the trash talk about the gays taking over and how bad it is, especially when quite obviously the gays are not taking over.

What has this got to do with Americans in Chiang Mai? is it not off topic? Who cares which way you put it in?

Edited by msg362

( Jingting)Yes, San Francisco has been a gay mecca and probably has the highest percentage of gay people as any big city on the planet, but still just 30 percent. In the entire population, probably about 2 - 3 percent. I seriously doubt the expat population of CM is anywhere even close to 30 percent. I agree gay people are no better and no worse than anyone else. However, I don't appreciate the trash talk about the gays taking over and how bad it is, especially when quite obviously the gays are not taking over.

What has this got to do with Americans in Chiang Mai? is it not off topic? Who cares which way you put it in?

JT is thinking of moving. cowboy.gif

• Like 1

The only reason that I tip is to piss off Europeans who won't. Since it doesn't seem to piss off the Thais, I figure that it's a win win.

Strange way to think, why would it piss of Europeans if you tip.yeap giving away your money makes you a winner and pisses off us Europeans cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I don't know if it pisses off real Europeans in real life, but here on ThaiVisa Europeans express a lot a resentment over the tipping practices of Americans.

Edited by OriginalPoster

The only reason that I tip is to piss off Europeans who won't. Since it doesn't seem to piss off the Thais, I figure that it's a win win.

Strange way to think, why would it piss of Europeans if you tip.yeap giving away your money makes you a winner and pisses off us Europeans cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I don't know if it pisses off real Europeans in real life, but here on ThaiVisa Europeans express a lot a resentment over the tipping practices of Americans.

Me for one. cowboy.gif

JT is thinking of moving. cowboy.gif

Horray?

Yes, as others have said, loads of missionaries from america here. They have a history of trying to convert others into their ways, especially through religious means.

Also will be the resident cia population, doing their level best to keep the empire going.

But other than that it is an interesting question. There literally are loads of american families here in cm, and outside of religious and political fanatics, why would they all end up here? When it comes to travelers, there are really not many americans at all. And you don't see the travelers in other parts of thailand as you do here in chiang mai.

Maybe the travelers hate beaches.

There literally are loads of american families here in cm, and outside of religious and political fanatics, why would they all end up here?

Umm, maybe they come here just to live. That explains the many retirees. I don't know about families with kids -- that's beyond my normal circle of acquaintances -- but some of the families are here because a family member has a job (like teaching at an international school), or because they're wealthy and don't have to work, but don't want a flashy lifestyle, or because they can earn their income quietly, over the internet.

The typical American I tend to meet here, on average has been here 10 years or more. They usually live outside the city limits in their own houses with grounds with one and usually more rai. They are low key, not flashy and they send their kids to international schools. That's a generalization of course, but it largely coincides with my experience here.

Definitely lots of American missionaries here. At the Superbowl watching party held at the Empress Hotel we missed the halftime show to listen to some lady ramble on for several minutes praying for Burma.

Next year I'll definitely watch it at one of the bars.

• Like 1

My story might not be the most typical, but I first came here because my school (University of Wisconsin) had a study-abroad program with CMU.

After staying for a year of studies I liked it here so much I didn't want to go back to the states.

And on tipping: that's one of the nicer things about living here. Tip if you want to, but you don't need to. The tipping culture in the US is just stupid, in that you are obliged to tip at least 15% of the bill regardless of what service you get.

• Like 1

Definitely lots of American missionaries here. At the Superbowl watching party held at the Empress Hotel we missed the halftime show to listen to some lady ramble on for several minutes praying for Burma.

Next year I'll definitely watch it at one of the bars.

Yeah but it's really a toss up, having to listen to Madonna or listen to someone talk about how more money is needed, right before they jump in their fortuner and drive back to their gated community...

American and moving back, but I am rarely in the expat scene because I prefer to hang out with my Thai friends, but that's not because I dislike other westerners either.

I'm not sure about this topic.

No doubt there are a good number of Americans in CM.

Missionaries, long time expats, and snowbirds (who come Oct-March).

But I live here year round, and easily know and meet as many Brits, Aussies, and EU people.

The OP is a noob, and maybe thought CM would be like Bali, where Strine is the dominant language....and is disappointed.

Personally, as an American, I like to go places where there are little or next to no fellow citizens.

Nothing grates on my nerves as much as a family poolside yelling at their kids: "Joshua, You quit hittin' your sister now, or I will tan your little hide!"

Makes me want to move to Equador, to get away from these Fox News weirdos, post-haste......smile.png

For the record, I first visited CM in 1975, moved here permanently 6 years ago.

All are welcome here in Chiang Mai; let's not turn this into a "I'm from Yorkshire, Liverpool sucks" discussion please.

Your assumptions as to the reasoning of my initial post are so very way off the mark mcgriffith.

I am genuinely interested in why there seems, to me, to be far more Americans in CM than elsewhere I have visited in Thailand. It is not a complaint that there are a lot of Americans, merely a question. Not that it is relevant, but I like Americans on the whole. Perhaps I could have emphasised the 'number of Americans compared to other nationalities as a comparison to other areas of Thailand.'

Personally I have never been to Bali so I can't make accurate comment about that. I was under no impression that CM would have many Australians. Indeed I as surprised that I did hear and meet quite a number. When I am in Thailand I like to immerse myself in Thai culture for the main part, and have no longing to group myself around fellow citizens whilst I am here.

I wonder at the various perceptions of the status of "Americans" here. Some of us have notions of U.S Expats' considerable wealth while others frequently refer to the missionary set (which has a long history in CM, as McCormick Hospital alone attests), and some associate them with big cars too. (Also, rather against my inclinations, I realized that "good works" accomplished by missionaries here might be protected from the anti-volunteering prohibitions of Thai law - perhaps 'missionaries' sometimes may fail at proselytising while succeeding with water projects? But that's aside.)

Others of us travel in circles that would have 'Americans' in the ranks of Cheap Charlies on a budget. OP suggested that there were many backpackers from the States. But tourists counted over a short time by nation might be influenced by national holidays, school schedules and the like, not to mention airfares.

Others of us have questioned the notion of there being a stastical surperfluity of U.S.Aians at all.

One has the sense of boxing with ghosts in the darkest of nights.

Let me throw in my own myopic notion. Chiang Mai, take it all around, is wonderful for the price. 'Americans' are practiced consumers - perhaps the most practiced consumer-lemmings on the planet. It is not so much 'bang for the buck' as 'consume for the buck.' To whatever degree, here we are!laugh.png

Edited by CMX
  • Like 1

Europe isn't a country.

Neither is America

What! I always thought it was the short form of 'United States of America', at least that's what a friend from 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' once told me rolleyes.gif

America is a region including South America, Central America and North America..... and for what it's worth there is another United States, the United States of Mexico, so be specific when you mean the United States of America.

In Thailand, America refers to the country -- U.S.A.

Plural, as in the Americas, that's different.

Even Latin Americans who are sensitive about the subject understand perfectly well what country people are talking about when America is said in the context of a person's nationality.

Next ...

at least that's what a friend from 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' once told me rolleyes.gif

Perhaps (s)he had the same geography teacher as Sarah Palin, who famously referred to Africa as a country...