Phuket Tourist Cheats Spark Foreign Diplomat Intervention

webfact

Phuket tourist cheats spark foreign diplomat intervention

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12391gupUWmipTiAqfVcwHSRxLDkgBL.jpg

EU Ambassador David Lipman (pictured) is to meet Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa about tackling the growing problem of Phuket cheats and swindlers ripping tourists off. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Foreign diplomats representing at least six countries are to meet Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa to address the growing problem of cheats and swindlers targeting Phuket tourists.

The news was reported through state news agency the National News Bureau of Thailand.

Tourism and Sports Ministry Spokesperson Watchara Kannika announced that EU Ambassador David Lipman, Head of the Delegation of the European Commission to Thailand, and the ambassadors of six countries, including Poland, Austria, Switzerland, Finland and the Netherlands, are to meet Mr Chumpol to brainstorm a solution to the increasing problem of tourists being cheated and swindled in Phuket.

Mr Chumpol said that the problem of tourism cheats operating in Phuket has become an international issue that calls for immediate action.

The most common rip-off schemes that tourists face include overpriced products and services, low-quality products, low-standard services and exaggerated damage claims on broken items, said the report.

Meanwhile, the Tourism and Sports Ministry will launch a blacklist of jewelry shops that sell low-quality items at inflated prices, it was announced.

The names of such shops will be put on the website of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports as well as that of the Department of Tourism.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has also been instructed to inform its overseas offices regarding this issue, said the report.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12391.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-23

Why limit the action to Phuket?

Overpriced products and services, low-quality products, low-standard services and various scams are found everywhere in Thailand where tourists foreigners go.

+ 20

Unbelievable how Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa mentions only a jewelry scam? What ever happened to the taxi scams, the jet ski scams, the king power scan, the tuk tuk scam, the motorbike rental scam artists, and countless other scams. All of a sudden it is only about jewelry stores. Do I detect a whitewash, Thai style cover up here? And why does Thailand have a combined tourism and sports minister? Is tourism that unimportant?

It is only jewelry stores because TAT already has a link to supposedly honest jewelry shops on its website. The Jewel Fest Club members. http://www.tatnews.org/special_interest/shopping/979.asp

The diplomats are only making a 'show' of it. They don't actually care about any problems suffered by the tourists or expats.

As other posters have pointed out - it is not only a problem in Phuket, other areas have the same problems although they may be shown in different ways.

It baffles me why anybody would ever want to set foot in this ghastly, unutterably vulgar armpit of Siam. It's just a glorified playpen for moderately wealthy westerners who can afford a bigger boat than they might have managed in their homelands, the Isle of Wight with marginally better weather. But above all it's the pretension of Phuket, its collective delusion of classiness that makes me heave. At least that sewer Pattaya is for the most part open and honest about its abject scumminess.

I suspect that the difference is that although Phuket has its problems - the coastline is still unbelievably beautiful.

• Like 1

The first three issues mentioned below ('overpriced...services') are so fundamental to protecting utterly uncompetitive Thai business (look at True Corp for an excellent example of this phenomenon) and ripping of Thai AND foreign consumers for the benefit of a tiny minority, that I can't see how quaint meetings between foreign diplomats and Thai government officials could even begin to solve anything. If Thailand were capable of solving any of its problems and enforcing its own laws, it would have done so already. The scams and other pitfalls that act as parasitic infections on Thailand's reputation and image are so often perpetrated by the very people who are supposed to be stopping them, that I can't help but just break up laughing when I read these. This is just another opportunity for Thailand to 'explain' to foreigners and 'restore confidence' in how everything in Thailand is fine and the tourism industry is doing great.

"The most common rip-off schemes that tourists face include overpriced products and services, low-quality products, low-standard services and exaggerated damage claims on broken items, said the report."

It's not that they aren't capable of solving their problems - they don't want to.

If I was the police chief in Phuket then jet ski's would be illegal, taxis and tuk tuks would have to use meters and any scum that's misbehaving would receive a public flogging with a cat o nine tails!

• Like 1

It is time for foreighn countries that allow flights that originate there to Thailand, require mantitory information about the quality of tourism to any of the Thailand destinations. This would include posting on the booking site (internet) and carriers, warning of travel to Thailand. I don't mean floods and terrorism, I mean cautions about even the hotel and recreation you may use.

It is time for foreighn countries that allow flights that originate there to Thailand, require mantitory information about the quality of tourism to any of the Thailand destinations. This would include posting on the booking site (internet) and carriers, warning of travel to Thailand. I don't mean floods and terrorism, I mean cautions about even the hotel and recreation you may use.

Nice idea, but will never happen.

Do you honestly think other destinations are entirely honest to tourists? Of course they're not!

It is always caveat emptor and down to the tourist to 'read between the lines'.

Do you honestly think other destinations are entirely honest to tourists? Of course they're not!

That's fine if the buyer is aware - how can 'buyer beware' otherwise? Problem is that it is under reported in the western media (give or take a few documentaries from time to time which people dismiss from their minds a day or so later). Holiday companies are only interested in the money, so could not care less about the scammers and violent robbers (see pregnant girl just beaten and robbed!) as long is it can not be put down to them (i.e. isn't the hotel fittings etc).

The governments of the west should put strong warnings on their web sites and publish stats (from their own and colluding embassy/consulate reports not from TAT) on all high risk areas of popular travel destinations. This is the only way to kick the Thai government (local and central) into making changes. Problem is our own countries obviously care nada for our welfare abroad - just what are our tax dollars paying for wrt consulates and embassies? If all they are there for is to sell visas then just open a holiday agency and save on ambassador's wages! If just for business, then let the businesses pay for it!

It would not be difficult - just swap in/out (with promotions to save face - nice inactive desk job with some more braid and gongs for outgoing scum) all the top cops in Phuket and make their (incoming) bonus dependant on reduced reported crime figures from foreign embassies/consulates. More severe overhaul is needed of course, but we know that will not happen anytime soon (or anytime at all perhaps) - so a simple compromise without face issues.

Edited by wolf5370

I just think vocal, knowledgeable people need to push back against the guide book industry, the Thai government, and any of the other propagandists who have glorified Thailand's 'jewels' such that there is a general tidal wave of tourists who come, see, and never, EVER come back.

That's fine if the buyer is aware - how can 'buyer beware' otherwise? Problem is that it is under reported in the western media (give or take a few documentaries from time to time which people dismiss from their minds a day or so later). Holiday companies are only interested in the money, so could not care less about the scammers and violent robbers (see pregnant girl just beaten and robbed!) as long is it can not be put down to them (i.e. isn't the hotel fittings etc).

The governments of the west should put strong warnings on their web sites and publish stats (from their own and colluding embassy/consulate reports not from TAT) on all high risk areas of popular travel destinations. This is the only way to kick the Thai government (local and central) into making changes. Problem is our own countries obviously care nada for our welfare abroad - just what are our tax dollars paying for wrt consulates and embassies? If all they are there for is to sell visas then just open a holiday agency and save on ambassador's wages! If just for business, then let the businesses pay for it!

It would not be difficult - just swap in/out (with promotions to save face - nice inactive desk job with some more braid and gongs for outgoing scum) all the top cops in Phuket and make their (incoming) bonus dependant on reduced reported crime figures from foreign embassies/consulates. More severe overhaul is needed of course, but we know that will not happen anytime soon (or anytime at all perhaps) - so a simple compromise without face issues.

The only time I was genuinely shocked by scams (stupid greed) was in the Phillippines. If you think there are problems here (which obviously there are), it is nothing compared to the Phillippines. Even so, it was outside the resort.

We went on holiday around 3 times a year, but I always found good resorts/hotels. Anyone can do it, it just takes a bit of common sense to 'read between the lines'.

Anyone going to Patong will get exactly what they want. Its down to them to 'gen up' on tuk tuks, jet skis etc..

I don't mean to be blase, just honest.

Unbelievable how Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa mentions only a jewelry scam? What ever happened to the taxi scams, the jet ski scams, the king power scan, the tuk tuk scam, the motorbike rental scam artists, and countless other scams. All of a sudden it is only about jewelry stores. Do I detect a whitewash, Thai style cover up here? And why does Thailand have a combined tourism and sports minister? Is tourism that unimportant?

Jewelry stores are independent so they can be thrown under the bus as a scare tactic to justify big increases in tea money from the organized "connected" scammers, meanwhile he is a hero for keeping the wolves at bay. Looks like Phuket has a controlling interest, along with Pattaya and Hua Hin, in TAT, which may be why you have a national tourism ministry--whose job is to bring more inbound tourists into Thailand--promoting domestic destinations

Why would a business (airline or travel agency) advertise anything that would harm their business. It's not just that Thailand doesn't want the news of the ripoffs to get out, neither do a lot of western based businesses.

Why limit the action to Phuket?

Overpriced products and services, low-quality products, low-standard services and various scams are found everywhere in Thailand where tourists foreigners go.

What action??

Just some lip service and some bored diplomats that want to come to Bangla for some fun....

Wasn't Government also supposed to send the "A Team" a few weeks ago?

Lost them in gogo bar as well?...

• Like 2

I wonder if the guy even lives in Thailand?

There is a time and a place for snide comments and gutter press tabloid news....

Here and now would be a great time to pull in the likes of "The Sun" to have a good rant about the new costa del crime or Fuk-it as it has been called.

Burma will open...

Tourism will displace...

Phuket will become... what..? a sad retirement town... for who...?

What a shame the gutter press aren't here

Thailand has had a good run of luck with foreign investment and tourism, and like all runs of luck it won't last forever. Myanmar will pull the rug right from under them and the Thais will have nobody to blame for this but themselves - after all the proof will be in the pudding, i.e. visible visitor/investment feedback in thousands of online websites and blogs. No denying the voices of millions. And the general message will be 'Myanmar is better because the Burmese don't steal and lie like the Thais, they genuinely like foreigners, the beaches and islands are cleaner, it's cheaper, you can own a business without having being forced to give 51% of your business to a slimy local and the place isn't run by the mafia'. My point being that the all the scams of Phuket, Samui etc that are being left to run unattended because the powers to be secretly <deleted>*kng hate farang and are making a cut out of our misery will destroy the country in a few years.

• Like 2

Long, long overdue that someone spoke out about the never ending scams frauds and cheats that plague Phuket.

But these pale in comparison the the property frauds. There are/were topics here that document foreigners losing their property through corrupt officials.

Hopefully this will also be included in his talks. Good luck to him. He will need all the luck he can get in dealing with the caring, sympathetic, concerned ever smiling Thai officials.

What they say is "Yes. Big problems. We really do care and we will fix the isues you have brought up.. Thank you for letting us know"

What they think is "Let's get this jerk out of here so we can get back to our real business...fleecing foreigners"

• Like 1