Vientiane Questions

rexall

Sat 10 Dec 05, 5:26 p.m.

Hi All,

Some Vientiane questions:

(1) I notice those big coaches at the Udon bus station apparently bound for Vientiane. Anyone ever done that? What's the drill? Fares? Schedules? Etc?

Do these originate in Khon Kaen City by any chance?

(2) What documents does a Thai national need to cross the border at Nong Khai?

(3) Hotel recommendations? These three were suggested on the Khon Kaen.com forum Forum http://www.khonkaen.com/english/forum/

Lao-Paris Hotel

Villa Manoly

Le Parasol Blanc

But those postings are getting old now. Any comments or updates appreciated.

(4) No ATM's in Vientiane?

Thanks for any info.

Aloha,

Rex

A Thai citizen can go to Laos for three days with just an ID card...you have to make a copy of it and sign it...blah blah blah....but they only need the ID card to do this....there are people right there at the bridge who will do all of the paperwork for the Thai person (and a westerner too for that matter) for a small fee....at least this was what was happening two years ago last time we went.

Some Vientiane questions:

(1)  I notice those big coaches at the Udon bus station apparently bound for Vientiane.  Anyone ever done that? What's the drill?  Fares?  Schedules? Etc?

Do these originate in Khon Kaen City by any chance?

I used them from Vientiane to Udon last month, everything was OK

More information at this link :

TAT information about Thai-Lao international bus service

I used them from Vientiane to Udon last month, everything was OKMore information at this link :TAT information about Thai-Lao international bus service

Mon 12 Dec 05, 8:12 a.m.

Yes, good link, Liz. Thanks!

One thing that isn't quite clear. Do they really want you to get a visa in advance or is that just for the "suckers"? :o

Important:

While visa-free and visa-on-arrival facilities are accorded by both Thailand and Lao PDR to citizens of various nationalities, getting the necessary visas in advance will save considerable time and effort in doing paperwork at the border checkpoint.

At Chong Mek a visa on arrival takes about 10 minutes. I assume Vientiane will have the same proceedures.

You need 2 passport photos, US$30 cash plus an extra $1 for weekend overtime payment.

You fill in a simple 1 page visa application form plus an arrivals card. Hand in the visa application form, pay the money, go to another window where they stamp your passport and that's it.

There are also english speaking guys near the visa window who are very helpful and appear to be immigration officials. They didn't ask for money.

Maybe obtaining these Laos visa forms from a local travel agent and filling them out in advance may make it easier when you get to the border.

At Chong Mek a visa on arrival takes about 10 minutes. I assume Vientiane will have the same procedures.

Hi Farma,

Thanks for the info.

Actually, I have crossed the border at Nong Khai a number of times, most of them I have sorted out the visa "on arrival." at the checkpoint. My question was about taking the big bus from Udon or Nong Khai direct to Vientiane. The web site with bus info recommends that having your visa in advance will "save considerable time and effort in doing paperwork at the border checkpoint." I am just wondering how long it takes a bus load of people to get processed and through the check point? And are you really helping the situation very much by obtaining a visa in advance as they suggest? Do you still sort out your own application individually, or does immigration process a whole bus load separately?

Aloha,

Rex

It is cheaper, but much less convenient to get your visa beforehand in Bangkok. Once you made it to Nong Kai, my advice is to ignore any of the agents, unless you're happy to make them make a quick buck from you.

You can fill the forms in by yourself at the border, it is pretty straight forward and only takes 10 minutes.

Hi Rex,

I went through last weekend at peak hour. There were plenty of mini vans and tour buses crossing at the same time. I was travelling on a group tour and it took our driver an hour to process the vans import paperwork. That left me with plenty of time to organise my visa and take a look around the dutyfree shops etc.

There was no queue at the visa window and the Thais seemed to have their paperwork processed at the second window. It wasn't a problem and my passport was stamped as soon as i handed it through the window. I was the only farang in my group. IMO a pre arranged visa may have saved me a couple of minutes and that would have been all.

Farma

. . . I was the only farang in my group. IMO a pre arranged visa may have saved me a couple of minutes and that would have been all.

That's what I thought, Farma. You saved me a witless trip to the consulate. Thanks! The Lao Consulate is not far from my house in Khon Kaen, and although it is 100 bahtski more, it would not be a big problem to sort it out in advance if it would save time or be less of a hassle for the others on the bus. But I won't bother now.

Aloha,

Rex

Edited by rexall

• 2 weeks later...

BORDER CROSSING TO VIENTIANE AT NONG KAI

Sat 24 Dec 05, 12:16 p.m.

Hi all,

Here is a puzzle: I have read several places that the hours of the border at the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai are 8:00 - 18:00. However the bus schedule on the TAT website ==> http://www.tatnews.org/latest_update/detail.asp?id=2151 shows busses for Vientiane leaving at 17:00 (Udon) and 18:00 (Nong Khai).

Anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks for your help.

Aloha,

Rex