Anyone Have The Kallam To Live In Richy Rich Land?

Johpa

Just curious if any of the posters here had the kallam to buy property and live within that Sino-Thai wet dream housing development named Richy Rich Land located on the northern outer ring road (121) just south of Mae Jo.

I am confused as to your question. Are you asking have any expats bought there and, if so, why?

The reason I am confused is I do not know what you mean by kallam. I can find nothing spelled like that but I did find, in the on line Encyclopædia Britannica, kalām meaning speculative theology in Islām. That does not seem to apply.

As to RICHY RICH LAND: I assume the developer knows about the privately owned UK online fashion retailer Richy Rich dedicated to selling the most desirable and exclusive men’s and women’s designer fashion and thought it was a good name for development, implying it is a desirable and exclusive also.

I have seen the development and they looks like fairly nice, standard smaller homes on smaller lots, similar to many, many other housing developments popping up along the Chiangmai - Mae Jo road. It does, however, has the distinct advantage of being next door to Home Mall.

I am confused as to your question. Are you asking have any expats bought there and, if so, why?

The reason I am confused is I do not know what you mean by kallam. I can find nothing spelled like that but I did find, in the on line Encyclopædia Britannica, kalām meaning speculative theology in Islām. That does not seem to apply.

BALLS man, Balls!!!

Everyone knows that. wink.png

I would agree though that this knowledge doesn't make the original question more understandable. :rolleyes: When it comes to commercial developments I would go for one that's been around for a while and has remained a nice place to live, well kept, etc. With new ones, where they've built some show homes but are otherwise still in the planning stage it's a lottery.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think the OP is asking if anyone has the balls to live in such a pretentiously named moo bahn.

I must admit, the houses look nice, but I can't see myself living there. The name is a big turn off to me.

I must admit that I'm surprised no one has cottoned on to the point of the OP, if indeed I'm correct. It speaks volumes perhaps...

As for it being luxurious... I don't think so. It's pretty much the same as many other moo bahns with a few trimmings, not least the name. Mutton dressed as lamb, and even more embarrassing to live there.

Edited by mallmagician
  • Like 1

I go past that place often, and still cannot imagine living there. "Richy Rich Land" must be for VIPs or maybe only VVIPs.

(By the way, "VVIP" has two Vs, not a W.)

So what does that suggest? VVIP's but with no idea how to speak English or no idea about how discussion of money can often seem vulgar. It seems like it's a sign that says "Corrupt? We'll launder your money here".

As to RICHY RICH LAND: I assume the developer knows about the privately owned UK online fashion retailer Richy Rich dedicated to selling the most desirable and exclusive men’s and women’s designer fashion and thought it was a good name for development, implying it is a desirable and exclusive also.

In the U.S., Richy Rich is a cartoon/comic book character. Also a very poor Macauley Culkin movie (google & youtube).

post-3361-0-57705900-1330137384_thumb.jp

In my mind, the name certainly doesn't do much for a VIP, or any other positive image. When I first saw the sign go up as they were building the mooban, I took a photo and sent it home for laughs.

laugh.png

i got a pretty good chuckle from "sino-thai wet dream housing development."

Me too; that was nicely put. Fake Dorian columns, chrome gates, and excessive use of marble come to mind.

I also think that "Laguna Village" is quite an overstatement for a landscape with a few dredging lakes.

Cheers, CMX

Kallam = cabbage in Thai, in this case cabbage meaning money of course. But I could be wrong.

First, you are wrong, it is Thai slang for testicles. Second, congratulations to Mallmagician for getting my post without my needing to resort to using the smiley face figures. And third, I agree with Chiangmaipat that this is only the most ridiculously named housing estate amongst many ridiculous names estates built along the various ring roads. Methinks many of these estates have been financed by ex-pat Thais living in Los Angeles, But the most ridiculous of all is calling these housing estates muubanns. Oh, oh, there I go again using Thai words on ThaiVisa.

Kallam = cabbage in Thai, in this case cabbage meaning money of course. But I could be wrong.

First, you are wrong, it is Thai slang for testicles. Second, congratulations to Mallmagician for getting my post without my needing to resort to using the smiley face figures. And third, I agree with Chiangmaipat that this is only the most ridiculously named housing estate amongst many ridiculous names estates built along the various ring roads. Methinks many of these estates have been financed by ex-pat Thais living in Los Angeles, But the most ridiculous of all is calling these housing estates muubanns. Oh, oh, there I go again using Thai words on ThaiVisa.

OK, but still, what's the point? There are any number of farang oriented housing development just outside Chiang Mai city that seem to be completely insulated from the local culture. It's not news. Live there and you really don't know what country you're in. While Richy Rich is a bit of an absurd name, so is Palm Springs and a bunch of others. Some people apparently like developments like those. I don't, but actually they don't seem that bad of a value if otherwise you'd be living in a suburb in the West.

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

OK, but still, what's the point?

Clearly for you there was no point, although others did get my point. And so the point of noting in public that for you there was no point is pointed in which direction? OK, no real need to respond as that would indeed be pointless.