Learning To Paraglide

dean999

I want to learn a new hobby and Paragliding is right up my street. I have seen some videos on youtube of people flying in Thailand. But my questions are,

Is there a place in Pattaya where i can learn?

How much?

Is it safe i.e there equipment and instructors?

Any contact details?

Has anyone got any experiance with the School (if there is one)?

Thank you in advanced.

This might help......http://www.thaiflyin...aragliding.html, there was also a Paramotor club on Na Jomtien beach close to Ambassador hotel, if you head north from Ambassador about 1 or 200 M it is signposted on your left towards the beach, don't know if it is still there though?

Ill take a look, thank you for the quick reply.

What about skydiving?

http://www.thaiskyadventures.com/

I have always wanted to try sky diving. I'm a bit of an adrenalin junky. But as a hobby, i want something i can do whenever i can (around the world) and plus once i have brought the equipment and learn't, the cost will be very low.

I like the thought of soring like an eagle, rather than falling like a stone. Plus sky diving last about 3 minutes and paragliding can last hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkoE0kgAGpM

No what you mean I was hooked on skydiving for ten years, reason I first came here was to do it for the Kings Birthday

wouldn't mind a go at paragliding so will follow this and maybe join you

Blue Skies

I'm not sure how NaJomtien offers paragliding as there is no mountain to glide from. Paramotoring I have seen there but its\'s not the same as paragliding. They also have parasailing.

I flew paragliders for many years back in Ireland and the UK. Thailand just isn't well suited to paragliding. It's mostly flat. What hills there are, are covered in jungle, so no take off areas. Winds here are too light for ridge soaring most of the time. Thermals during the day are too strong for a collapsible wing.

There are a few intrepid souls who keep paragliding alive in Thailand. I've seen gliders on Koh Larn a few times - sea breeze, steep hills without trees - but that's about it.

Paramotoring is popular here, but that's not the same as silent flight.

I flew paragliders for many years back in Ireland and the UK. Thailand just isn't well suited to paragliding. It's mostly flat. What hills there are, are covered in jungle, so no take off areas. Winds here are too light for ridge soaring most of the time. Thermals during the day are too strong for a collapsible wing.

There are a few intrepid souls who keep paragliding alive in Thailand. I've seen gliders on Koh Larn a few times - sea breeze, steep hills without trees - but that's about it.

Paramotoring is popular here, but that's not the same as silent flight.

Paramotoring is what i want to progress too, but i need to learn the skills first. Where i'm working i'm quite close to england, so it might be the case of waiting a couple of months for better weather......learn the skills and advance onto paramotoring in Thailand. It's just i read that you can learn quicker in a country that is not England, due to the fact of strong winds and rain that can last for weeks there. But least there are hills. giggle.gif

I met a guy called George Macak a few years ago. He was running a paramotoring school here in Pattaya. Still is, last I heard. You'll find him on Facebook. Get in touch with him and he should be able to tell you everything you need to know, even if he isn't still based here.

I see them above my house on a regular basis. They take off near The View restaurant, just North of the Ambassador. As mentioned above, there's another place near The Glass House that's just a bit north of The View that I believe does this also. I'm sure you could check in at The View and they could help.

I flew paragliders in Oz for 8 years and the window for good conditions is small compared to that required for kiteboarding which is my new adventure and it is big in Thailand with schools everywhere. We used to call it "parawaiting" because we were always waiting for the conditions to be right.

Remember it is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than being in the air wishing you were on the ground. Try kiteboarding.

I flew paragliders in Oz for 8 years and the window for good conditions is small compared to that required for kiteboarding which is my new adventure and it is big in Thailand with schools everywhere. We used to call it "parawaiting" because we were always waiting for the conditions to be right.

Remember it is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than being in the air wishing you were on the ground. Try kiteboarding.

Very true. I've taken up scuba diving since I moved here. Available every single day of the year. Never cancelled by the weather. Also less chance of breaking a leg.

if you want to learn how to paragilde there is a club in sattahip, i often see them paragliding from the hill opposite my house ...its like a 25 min drive from pattaya approx ...you will have to google i dont have details....there is a hill with a radio station on top of it...sorry for poor details..they are paragliders without the motors...

I have been paragliding in Thailand for over 10 years and have had a school myself.. Unfortunately I no longer teach (beginners)

BUT I would recommend Mr Narint down in Maptaphut/Ban chang - 0818152702. I have taught and flown with Narint for years.

He has a good safety record and can give you an FIA licence (recognised world wide). There are many 'instructors' in thailand but very few are qualified to teach

properly. Narint did his instructor rating in Japan many years ago

- Ivan Longland

Edited by Starbooks
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been paragliding in Thailand for over 10 years and have had a school myself.. Unfortunately I no longer teach (beginners)

BUT I would recommend Mr Narint down in Maptaphut/Ban chang - 0818152702. I have taught and flown with Narint for years.

He has a good safety record and can give you an FIA licence (recognised world wide). There are many 'instructors' in thailand but very few are qualified to teach

- Ivan Longland

Hi Ivan,

I'm living here now and brought my speed wing (16M Gin) (less weight on the plane...) Do you know of any soaring spots near Pattaya? The strong sea breeze at some times of the year seem suitable.....

Bottom landing would be important...

- Ivan Longland

Hi Ivan,

I'm living here now and brought my speed wing (16M Gin) (less weight on the plane...) Do you know of any soaring spots near Pattaya? The strong sea breeze at some times of the year seem suitable.....

Bottom landing would be important...

Kung Wiman beach near Chantaburi offers great sea breeze soaring..... bottom landing too

call Narint about possibilities in Ban Chang also

Edited by Starbooks

I saw a paragliding competition out on Koh Larn island last year. 30 mins on the ferry and a choice of slopes so should be able to find a slope facing the breeze. Drawback is that bottom landing options are limited.

Yes there was a comp there last year, Take off area belongs to the temple also so ask first....

The trick is to find a good trainer, learn properly and fly within your limits. I've been paragliding for 30 years (first time on a 7 cell skydiving wing), clocked up thousands of hours in the sky and never had a problem. It's like any sport, but more fun.

Check out motor vehicle accidents on the internet.....

At least in the sky I have power over ALL of the hazards.

Edited by craigt3365
removed ridiculous post

The trick is to find a good trainer, learn properly and fly within your limits. I've been paragliding for 30 years (first time on a 7 cell skydiving wing), clocked up thousands of hours in the sky and never had a problem. It's like any sport, but more fun.

Check out motor vehicle accidents on the internet.....

At least in the sky I have power over ALL of the hazards.

Agree with you peteinchina. It's a good job we all don't think the same as swisstouristpattaya or we would still think the world is flat or maybe never have tried to fly. Everything you do in life has risks, even crossing the road. Some people just have to put a downer on things.

Thank you all for your helpfull replies. jap.gif

Edited by craigt3365
removed ridiculous post

• 8 years later...

Only 8 years too late replying to this one.... there is now a registered school based on the island of Koh Larn.  Training slopes on the south side and plenty of space for ground handling.  Three instructors with around 55 years of paraglidng experience between them (not young guns).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G05s81C-bUU

Contact them at www.flykohlarn.com