Another Phuket Student Dies In Motorbike Crash

webfact

Another Phuket student dies in motorbike crash

Phuket Gazette

phuket-4-12412aWbJIOwZwKleTtCurZPDybImRc.jpg

The dent in the tailgate of the pickup, parked about 1.5km from Phuket’s Heroines’ Monument. Photo: Wichai Witthawat

PHUKET: -- A Phuket teenager returning from school was killed yesterday when he lost control of his motorbike and hit the back of a pickup truck parked by the side of the road in Srisoonthorn.

Thalang Police were notified of the accident at 5:20pm. At the scene, on Srisoonthorn Road westbound in front of The Valley 2 residential estate, they found the body of 17-year-old Suphakit Phachonroongrote lying beside the road.

A Phuket Kusoldharm Foundation rescue worker at the scene told the Phuket Gazette Mr Suphakit would have died instantly in the crash.

The youth suffered multiple broken limbs and massive head trauma, rescue workers said.

The force of the impact was evidenced by a large dent in the tailgate of the Isuzu pickup, registered in Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

No crash helmet was found at the scene of the crash, a rescue worker said.

Notified by relatives who happened to be passing by, the boy’s parents arrived at the scene shortly after police and rescue workers.

Mr Suphakit, a resident of Cherng Talay, was in his final year of study at Phuket Wittayalai School.

Kusoldharm Foundation workers transported the body to Thalang Hospital for examination and storage until funeral services are arranged.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12412.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-25

I note the story states "lost control". This implies he was under control at the time, this is something that most riders in Thailand would not associate with teenage motorcyclists. I was undertaken by a rampaging tit the other morning in Bangplad, no helmet, no risk-management and guess what? Yep, 1 km further down the road the lucky lad is picking himself up off the road, lucky that every other vehicle around him was paying more attention than him.

Seriously, teenage hormones and motorbikes are NOT a great mix.

Yep lost control, never had control. Find it hard to give my condolences as I've been nearly killed by riders like this in Phuket both young and old and most of the time the worst riders are also the ones without a helmet. Don't look before pullin out, don't look before changing lanes and weave in and out of traffic at high speeds. Here is your result.

• Like 1

To put a dent like that, cars have crumple zones so actuallly absorb an impact but dent very easily because of this. An old pick up does not have this feature, the motorbike must have been travelling a hell of speed to do this, and even then the pickup must have been stationary.

Police, please take this picture to the schools in phuket and actually show these kids how they can end up. Educating them, even if the pics are shocking.

RIP

To put a dent like that, cars have crumple zones so actuallly absorb an impact but dent very easily because of this. An old pick up does not have this feature, the motorbike must have been travelling a hell of speed to do this, and even then the pickup must have been stationary.

Yes, the report stated the pick-up was parked.

RIP and all respectful condolences to the family, but boy (!) thats quite a dent in the tailgate. From a motorbike?

And from what was likely to have been one of these 100 - 125 cc things.

He couldn't have got it more centre on if he had been aiming for it.

He was definately not hanging about!

Police, please take this picture to the schools in phuket and actually show these kids how they can end up. Educating them, even if the pics are shocking.

RIP

Or better yet have the police do away with school kids riding their bikes on the roads. Yeah I know...still sad though

RIP

good idea ...

RIP

Hit the tailgate at the bottom where the bed starts. That bike must have been going very fast. I doubt a helmet would have helped the rider (no longer the driver) survive.

Where I grew up in an European country in1978, there was no law that you had to wear a helmet, so we all drove big bikes doing around 180 km/h, not wearing one...........

. Isn't it part of being young that teenagers are showing such a behavior?

And yes, photos of accidents, following disabilities etc should be part of the education. Even if it helps to prevent only one horror accident.

Speeding kids on bikes and cars should be sent to work a few weeks on weekends in an emergency room at a hospital to see the results of such a behavior. That would obviously help.....jap.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Speaking from personal experience, I hit a stationary vehicle through a lapse of concentration. Fortunately, at the time I was an 8 year old riding nothing more powerful than a bicycle but the impact still caused injury to me. With regard to the wearing of crash helmets - if the requirement isn`t rigidly enforced many just won`t bother. Back in the 70s my life was saved by a crash helmet when I had a serious accident on the A23. A compulsory, thorough rider/driver education scheme is far overdue here.

Speaking from personal experience, I hit a stationary vehicle through a lapse of concentration. Fortunately, at the time I was an 8 year old riding nothing more powerful than a bicycle but the impact still caused injury to me. With regard to the wearing of crash helmets - if the requirement isn`t rigidly enforced many just won`t bother. Back in the 70s my life was saved by a crash helmet when I had a serious accident on the A23. A compulsory, thorough rider/driver education scheme is far overdue here.

Are you still riding on that bicycle?

Yep lost control, never had control. Find it hard to give my condolences as I've been nearly killed by riders like this in Phuket both young and old and most of the time the worst riders are also the ones without a helmet. Don't look before pullin out, don't look before changing lanes and weave in and out of traffic at high speeds. Here is your result.

Yes no helmet and having the need for speed, the worst is the Pizza Delivery Man on his bike..crazy, I will remind you to keep a EYE on your rear view mirror, not so much as what is infront of you, but the driver whom passes on your left, I find that traveling beside the Right hand side of traffic is far more safe than left as the left side has incoming traffic and people going down the wrong way..the disadvantage is that if the driver has his signal on to turn right well ya just have to slow down and stop but you have the peace of mind always looking behind you that the car behind you has noticed this turn. If you are in market for bike, I can suggest the Honda PCX is the best... quick to get out of problems of congestion at light, no gears to change..just brake and throttle..great stuff..rears mirrors are disigned to work perfect, not just add ons that show your wrist on bike grip but really show what is behind you...keep problems behind you is best!!!