Phuket Road Toll Claims Australian, Swedish Tourists

webfact

Phuket road toll claims Australian, Swedish tourists

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12415oAwowPvRveglanWeSOypPsMPJP.jpg

The scene in front of a Phuket nightclub where the two motorbikes collided, killing one Australian and injuring her companion and a Thai man. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

phuket-4-12415NNuhEcuIJbckQDMvHifhayhsNs.jpg

The Lamsing Hi-So nightclub on Patak Road in Phuket's Chalong subdistrict. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Two foreign tourists, one Australian and one Swedish national, died in separate accidents in Phuket last night.

Matthias Andersson from Sweden died after falling three storeys at a resort in Karon, where he was staying with family members.

Staff at Vachira Phuket Hospital said the apparent cause of death was a head injury sustained in the fall, which occurred at about midnight last night.

Mr Andersson plunged from the third floor and crashed through a thin zinc roofing structure before hitting the ground, staff at Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town said.

His body was sent to Patong Hospital, then transferred to Vachira Phuket, they said.

Staff at the hospital did not know what caused the fall.

Separately, an Australian woman died and her companion is being treated at Vachira Phuket Hospital after the motorbike they were riding crashed head-on into another motorbike at about 3:30am in Chalong.

Lt Chianchai Douangsuwan of the Chalong Police said the accident occurred on Patak Road in Chalong, near the Shell service station.

He identified the surviving Australian as Kenneth Nathan Trivett, age 32.

Mr Trivett and his female companion were riding eastbound toward Chalong Circle when their motorbike hit a salaeng (motorbike with sidecar) selling grilled squid on the side of the road outside the Lamsing Hi-So nightclub.

Lt Chianchai identified the owner of the salaeng as a woman named Gaywadee Jailuck.

The collision caused the motorbike to cross the center line and hit an oncoming motorbike driven by a man identified as Siriwat Phatkor.

The female Australian, who has yet to be identified, died from her injuries.

Mr Trivett, being treated at Vachira Phuket Hospital for head injuries, has not yet sufficiently recovered to provide the name of his deceased companion.

Mr Phatkor, who suffered only minor injuries, was treated at Phuket International Hospital.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12415.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-25

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The usual practice here seems to be to suggest that Thais were responsible (yawn!) 'I bet it was the Thai mafia, or his girlfriend that threw him off'

As he was staying with his family, I guess they get a reprieve this time. Thank goodness.

Edited by foxboy
  • Like 2

Just another day here on the island of crime and death. RIP to the many.

Just another day here on the island of crime and death. RIP to the many.

There was a time that a comment like that would make me angry. Now, I agree with it. Can a day go by without a death, beating, robbery, arrest or illness? When my friends ask, "is it safe living in Thailand?" I say, "You can find trouble anywhere if you look for it...and the place to look is Pattaya and Phuket."

I even understand the frustration of Expats who invested there. They recognized a while back that the area was at a crossroad. Either become a safe fun vacation spot for people and families who has money to spend, or more of a "Spring Break" party till you puke cesspool for whores, drugs and booze.

Well, clearly, the jury has returned with the verdict...and as more of this news becomes common place, so will the perception that the island is Soi Cowboy with sand. Not exactly what honeymoon couples, nice families and retires think of when they travel in today's world (yes, i know that statement will get some wise-guy comments .. enjoy)

It is a big world, with lots of beautiful beaches, lovely native cultures, food and experiences.

Who needs the crap they dish out there? Fewer and fewer of one type of person, and more and more of another.

And i am not saying "Party People" are bad...but they are fickle, and will roam to greener (cheaper, safer and more fun) places more quickly than quality family travelers...and sooner than later.

Sadly, the incidents in this article could happen anywhere, any time...My comment is not specific to these events...just, as cloudhopperr suggests...a daisy chain of bad news and misery coming from one this place.

I live in BKK, and have never been to Pattaya (and never will)..and the last time I went to Phuket (more than 10 years ago)...it was really quite lovely.

My wife and kids just got back from a very pleasant holiday in Phuket, apparently. Normally they go to Pattaya, which is more convenient, but she reckoned that with cheap air asia flights the cost difference was not exorbitant. You need to have the time and perseverence to shop around for special offers at the good hotels though.

I still reckon the toll roads are safer

SC

The usual practice here seems to be to suggest that Thais were responsible (yawn!) 'I bet it was the Thai mafia, or his girlfriend that threw him off'

As he was staying with his family, I guess they get a reprieve this time. Thank goodness.

give it time, sooner or later, someone will make a post blaming both incidents on the Thai's.

• Like 2

I wonder what the statistics are for tourists and death by falling from balconies, just seems these incidents are extremely rare in Europe for example, despite large numbers of tourists and highrises. Yet every few weeks we seem to have another farang falling from height. Please be assured this is not a comment on either of these tragic accidents.

RIP and sympathy to their families. X

give it time, sooner or later, someone will make a post blaming both incidents on the Thai's.

Wonder who the family members were/are? I certainly would not think a Thai wife, brother, cousins etc... no way. Funny how the story of the fall is hidden within a road accident, no certainly nothing to cover up there.

Some confusion here about the context of the word 'toll' in this news article. For the record ..

3. An amount or extent of loss or destruction, as of life, health, or property

Source http://www.thefreedictionary.com/toll

I agree. Question is though how does the poor Swedish gentleman fit into the "road toll" other than landing on his head after passing through a zinc roof?

Probably drunk, helmetless tourists wending their way home at 3.30 coming into contact with a badly parked, unlit salaeng.

Can't really blame the island.

A fall from a balcony - who knows what happened.

RIP to both victims

Terrible shame. RIP.

However, even if the salaeng was parked in the middle of the road and was cloaked by Klingon technology the owner of the quid shop will absolutely not ever be questioned over their innocence in this.

• Like 1

Some confusion here about the context of the word 'toll' in this news article. For the record ..

3. An amount or extent of loss or destruction, as of life, health, or property

Source http://www.thefreedictionary.com/toll

I agree. Question is though how does the poor Swedish gentleman fit into the "road toll" other than landing on his head after passing through a zinc roof?

As per my previous post the falling off a balcony has nothing to do with road accidents. No idea why the PG decided to combine the 2 separate accidents into one story. Poor journalistic decision.

Probably drunk, helmetless tourists wending their way home at 3.30 coming into contact with a badly parked, unlit salaeng.

RIP to both victims

Terrible shame. RIP.

However, even if the salaeng was parked in the middle of the road and was cloaked by Klingon technology the owner of the quid shop will absolutely not ever be questioned over their innocence in this.

The salaeng WAS the squid shop and....

oh never mind.

RIP to both victims

Terrible shame. RIP.

The salaeng WAS the squid shop and....

oh never mind.

Yeah mate, I know what a Salaeng is.

Oh never mind.

Well the point is this. Thailand had very lax safety laws and even the lax laws are not enforced. So when a foreigner comes here and rides into an unlit bike and sidecar some people say well that is how it is here, others say well it should be lit as required by the law ( made to reduce the number of these incidents) and others say they were drunk or drugged. The point is drunk/drugged/bad eyesight does not excuse the other person involved who also fails to light their vehicle properly. Maybe both at fault who knows because the real facts are rarely known except that you can bet your bottom dollar that the Thais will always find the foreigner at fault and come up with any excuse no matter how obviously biased to protect their cousins (ie any other Thai)

Is Thailand at fault - to some degree yes because the police are useless mostly and only work for bribes especially where tourists are involved.

Are the tourists at fault - to a degree they do not understand that many protections coming from safety and experience learned do not exist here so getting pissed and having fun can be more fatal by percentage than in the west.

But you have to realize also that Phuket is FULL of evil corrupt and sick people drawn by the perception of riches, driven by their greed, the scum of Thai society to rob the tourist and kill if necessary just to make a few baht all supported by the Thai mafia and with a blind eye turned in Bangkok. There is no honour here. There are no ethics here. There is no law here. If you do try to go to law it is so biased, so corrupt, so slow and so expensive that it will destroy your vitality. That is if you are fortunate enough not to run into anyone with any real contacts because they will just pay for the law to be bent to suit them, unless you know someone more powerful in which case both parties slog it out and give all the benefit to the big people they know. Such is society here.

Should everyone accept it because this is Thailand? NO because there are some things that are inalienably wrong and that any Person should fight.

Yes the Thais are culpable. Yes sometimes the tourists are naive and suffer a terrible penalty, yes sometimes they are drunk and do bad things but the Thais are doing far worse with no restraint. It is truly a lawless and terrible place now with no respect and no ethics.

Thailand is not like this everywhere though traits show through. Phuket will go the way of Spain's tourist resorts 30 years ago because no one cares or no one has the balls and strength of character to stand up to the evil which has embedded itself there. I will not be sad to see its demise for it will be well deserved.

Edited by timewilltell
  • Like 2

I agree, the place seems a little off the wall with "accidents" but have you ever been to Mexico? Tourists gunned down by drug gangs, kidnapped and raped at an alarming rate. Just look up parasail in Mexico. Many deaths and the beaches patrolled by gangs selling stuff sometimes by force and lifeguards that work for extortion, just get rescued and see how much money you will pay (and you will) the police are too busy working as guards at jewellery stores with Mac10's and sub-guns hanging from their arms. It is the Wild West of North America there. Major roads have police checks like here and they see a tourist driving rental? You will have something wrong and you "WILL" pay the fine before leaving.

Phuket's reputation is already spreading. I won't go there and I have steered many of my friends and family away from the place & will continue to do so. There are better, safer places to go in Thailand and the sooner the place is boycotted the sooner the scum will float off somewhere else. (unfortunately it just won't dissolve angry.png )