Building Permit

I know that the house plan has to be certified by the architect or the engineer., in order to get the building permit. Is this correct?

Does anyone know if those architect and engineer have to be thai and having thai license only? Can it be stamped by the US engineer? I'm a certified engineer, having my own engineering firm and can certified in 4 western states including California and Hawaii, will they accept it?

We're planning to build a vacation home somewhere in SriRasha or Chonburi area

Many thanks for your help in advance

I am a licensed professional engineer. I would never stamp a set of plans in Thailand because I do not know the codes in Thailand. To stamp a document as a licensed engineer you are certifying that the document stamped meets legal requirements as well as accepted engineering practice.....its the legal requirements for house construction that I do not know......perhaps you are more knowledgeable in this area than me.....also, be aware that you will be practicing engineering outside the region where your license (assuming that you are licensed) is valid and stamping a document outside the region you are licensed in at least in theory leaves you open to sanctions. I don't know what a "certified engineer" is. Is it the same as a licensed professional enginee?.

Also, in the US you usually don't have to have any certification to draw up house plans for your own home as long as the details of your drawing are all standard items and appear in the UBC (Universal Building Code) or the local code books used in a jurisdiction.

Edited by chownah

My advice is 'Play the Game'.

Take your plans to the local authority and speak to the approved architect, ask him to advise on how to get your plans approved. Offer the plans and ask him if they seem OK to him and if he is able to offer advice and/or would he be prepared to make any alterations to the drawings to bring them into line.

He'll no doubt be glad to help and then approve 'his' plans.

I am a little confused about the term building permit.

I live in the central region and as far as I know, nobody up here has ever seen a building permit.

I know that if you are in Bangkok you can apply to build a 3 story department store and get up to 6 stories before anybody realises and then you just ignore all of the government rules and pay about 1,000 baht a day fine for 3 or 4 years.

Anyway if you had one who would be qualified to inspect the building as it grows?

Probably the man who collects the sealed brown envelope every week.

TIT

Edited by billd766

I am a licensed professional engineer.  I would never stamp a set of plans in Thailand because I do not know the codes in Thailand.  To stamp a document as a licensed engineer you are certifying that the document stamped meets legal requirements as well as accepted engineering practice.....its the legal requirements for house construction that I do not know......perhaps you are more knowledgeable in this area than me.....also, be aware that you will be practicing engineering outside the region where your license (assuming that you are licensed) is valid and stamping a document outside the region you are licensed in at least in theory leaves you open to sanctions.  I don't know what a "certified engineer" is.  Is it the same as a licensed professional enginee?.

Also, in the US you usually don't have to have any certification to draw up house plans for your own home as long as the details of your drawing are all standard items and appear in the UBC (Universal Building Code) or the local code books used in a jurisdiction.

No, I'm not stamping any plan in Thailand, but thinking of bringing my own set of house plan stamped by me from the US...and then submit to the local building official. Yes, I'm also a licensed structural engineer. And this is for my own house only, since we love our current house plan we're living in so much. I've both architectural and structural details drawings.

First, as I was thinking what version of building code thailand is currently using, so I thought the the current US ubc would be better - UBC2000

Second, I don't know if I have to only submit all my plans in Thai language only.

I'm not practicing the engineering service in Thailand...this is for my own house only.

Thanks and appreciated for all inputs though

I live in the central region and as far as I know, nobody up here has ever seen a building permit.

I know that if you are in Bangkok you can apply to build a 3 story department store and get up to 6 stories before anybody realises and then you just ignore all of the government rules and pay about 1,000 baht a day fine for 3 or 4 years.

Anyway if you had one who would be qualified to inspect the building as it grows?

TIT

Building permit is a permission to o.k. to build from the county, city, or the juristriction you're in. In order to get the building permit, here is the US, you have to submit the complete set of architectural plan and structural details, using current building code (UBC). If you're planning to buillt a very fancy/non-typical house/structure, you're most likely have to pay extra for the licensed structural engineer ($500- 10000 average) to review them-just to make sure all those fancy stuffs you're having won't fall on you or your neighbour. Both your architect and the engineer have to use the latest building code-for your own safety and their liability too. Well if you're unlucky you might also have a soil problem - too soft, too clay, or the slope is too steep - then you will have to call a soil engineer(geotechnical engineer) to have a look($2000-5000 average), so they can report back to the structural engineer for the foundation modification.

....on...and...on....don't want to bore you too much

Anyway during your construction, the city/county official and the engineer will be checking your progress from time to time, just to make sure your contractor(not being too naughty) built according to the submitted plan and submitted engineering details, until the project is completed, then they will sign you off and then you can move into your new home with your lovely wife. Anyway all this is to ensure your own safety mostly while living there .

All those above explainations are just a short version of it, hope this help

Edited by BKK90210

If you want to build a house in Thailand to UBC2000 standards then you will have to import alot of the materials because they will not be available here in Thailand....also it will be very very difficult to find a builder or workers who will be able to construct that type of building. For instance...stud framed walls with panel sheeting is almost unheard of here..I've never seen it but there are alot of houses I haven't checked yet.

Edited by chownah

TIT

a building permit, "a-noo-yaat gaan gaaw-saang" is required for several reasons, 1) you need it to get a tabien baan, 2) you need the tabien baan to get permenanet water and electricty, 3) if the or-bat-tor finds you building without one, they can shut you down.

i would have a local architect give the plans a quick once over. chances are your design is better than most thai houses anyway so it should be easy.

Many thanks for the replies above

I have a few more questions

1) Does anyone know some of the architectural firm or an engineering firm around Chonburi or Sriracha area? I don't mind paying them for the consultation fee. We're planning to be in the area for 3 week over the new year period.

2) Does anyone know a good area with a good sea-view on the hill ?- subdivision preferable. Must be in Sriracha or Bangsean area. We're looking for a parcel of land, prefer not to be in the golf-course subdivision, but if that is the last option I guess we have to. Not looking for any land too pricy but around $75,000 us max.& not smaller than 16,000 sq.ft

Thanks again in advance

Edited by BKK90210

In some places a building permit is not required. Depends on how rural it is. Sounds like where you will be building it will be required though. We didn't need one for our house....small village. We only had an electrical inspection which was pretty loose.

I am not sure about building from scratch, but when I extended my house

I had a local draughtsman draw up the plans.

I took them to the local tambon office for approval.

They came to inspect the site a few days latter and said we could go ahead with the extension.

We live in Sri Racha, Chonburi.

Further out in the sticks people just seem to build..........

I am not sure about building from scratch, but when I extended my house

I had a local draughtsman draw up the plans.

I took them to the local tambon office for approval.

They came to inspect the site a few days latter and said we could go ahead with the extension.

We live in Sri Racha, Chonburi.

Further out in the sticks people just seem to build..........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you like living in SriRasha? Is the town mostly rural or urban? Is there any water proplem in the area, since being in the higher elevation? We saw the whole area via sattelite image, still don't see that many subdivisions. I don't think we would be living in the village or something like that even though I can read, write, and speak thai quite well (80%) I don't mean to sound so snobby but I can't live without the high speed internet! As long as we have the internet, international cable channels, and room full of books...we will be super dupper happy.

Any place to hang out?..not in the bad ways...we're happyly married for 20 yrs!..we're in the early 40s. Some of the reasons we like area like SriRasha or Bangsaen is that not to many tourists and we just absolutely love the local foods! It's so much fun to see them cooking at the local food markets or along the streets!

If you want to build a house in Thailand to UBC2000 standards then you will have to import alot of the materials because they will not be available here in Thailand....also it will be very very difficult to find a builder or workers who will be able to construct that type of building.  For instance...stud framed walls with panel sheeting is almost unheard of here..I've never seen it but there are alot of houses I haven't checked yet.

Thanks so much...I've forgot all about that....just have to switch to concrete & steel then.

Regards

If you want to build a house in Thailand to UBC2000 standards then you will have to import alot of the materials because they will not be available here in Thailand....also it will be very very difficult to find a builder or workers who will be able to construct that type of building.  For instance...stud framed walls with panel sheeting is almost unheard of here..I've never seen it but there are alot of houses I haven't checked yet.

Thanks so much...I've forgot all about that....just have to switch to concrete & steel then.

Regards

Post and Beam with unit masonry infill is the usual type built. If you are going to do the design work then be advised that the concrete in Thailand is not relied on to have adequate compressive strength so designs rely heavily on compression steel. Specify steel by size in millimetres not number designations...they do have number designations for steel but this gets fudged alot and they have different grades of rebar so that you can buy number 3 full or number 3 light and they will be different diameters and sometimes different alloys as well...

Chownah....Thanks so much for your extra info. We will have to look into this and do more research once we're there during this NewYear. Seem to me the concrete infill is the way to go for us then, will see.

Some how I want to correct some info. on one of the ealier post about using UBC2000.

It's a bad habbit of mine to keep calling the new current IBC2003 as ubc2000.

Because where we live we had used ubc1997 in the past, but when the country switched over to the new ibc2000, we didn't in our area and wait until the IBC2003 comes out and then switch it with the rest.

By the time we'ready to built in Thailand, we'll be using the new again IBC2006 at the beginning of 2007

Any good architect and engineer firm in the area that you know of?...where do you live?.. in the area or somewhere else?

Edited by BKK90210

Chownah....Thanks so much for your extra info.  We will have to look into this and do more research once we're there during this NewYear.  Seem to me the concrete infill is the way to go for us then, will see.

Some how I want to correct some info. on one of the ealier post about using UBC2000. 

It's a bad habbit of mine to keep calling the new current IBC2003 as ubc2000. 

Because where we live we had used ubc1997 in the past, but when the country switched over to the new ibc2000, we didn't in our area and wait until the IBC2003 comes out and then switch it with the rest.

By the time we'ready to built in Thailand, we'll be using the new again IBC2006 at the beginning of 2007

Any good architect and engineer firm in the area that you know of?...where do you live?.. in the area or somewhere else?

I live in northern Thailand and I'm busy these days being a farmer and have no spare time....haven't dealt with any engineers or architects here but if you keep looking you'll find some....when looking for one I'd keep in mind that the ability to communicate your ideas to them is probably the most important thing so go talk to a few of them and see who seems to understand you the best. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Speaking reading and writing thai you will have a great time building here, you will be able to get your ideas acroos first hand, you will be able to try to fix problems first hand. BUT, it still is a headache.

For example, the monkies employed to build, the builders labourers are not so bright or skilled, or skilled to highly different levels amongst them.

I just came from a building site where our posts are going up, in a meeting with the head engineer and the owner of the company a few days prior, we said 'no rendering of the concrete is to occur, the finish is to be natural exposed concrete and you are to use a vibrator and the steel formwork' 'do you understand this' 'yes totally they say, dont worry they say'

Today we arrive to see formwork removed and several rough rendering jobs underway and bubbled posts...oh and a coupla crooked one to boot.

Engineer is ther, we say <deleted>, he says oh but you cannot finish posts of this size of to the finish you want. A call was made to the owner, he said oh sorry the message was not passed down the line to the workers, our fault, the next ones will be perfect, wait and see lol

Edited by N&M