Inequality Must Be Corrected, Suu Kyi Says

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Inequality must be corrected, Suu Kyi says

Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

Rangoon

30176755-01_big.jpg

Burma's pro-democracy leader tells The Nation Thailand and her country should address economic imbalances

RANGOON: -- Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi says there is no real "economic equality" between Burma and Thailand and the situation must be corrected.

"Real cooperation needs equality. At the moment, economically speaking, there is no real equality between Burma and Thailand. We have got to admit that. Once we get to the situation where our economies are more on an equal level, we can increase the areas of cooperation and exchanges between the two countries. And that would progressively help both of us," she said in response to a question by The Nation after a meeting Asean Secretary-General Surin Pitsuwan at her residence here last week.

The leader of the National League for Democracy (NLD) did not offer details of the state of "inequality" between the two countries. She was suggesting, observers say, that Burma has been put at a disadvantage when it comes to trade and investment between the two countries.

When asked by a Singaporean journalist to elaborate on her earlier statement that she would like to see Burma surpassing every other Asean country, Suu Kyi's prompt response was: "Why not? You need to be ambitious." She added, somewhat teasingly: "And I'm very happy to think that the other Asean countries are waiting to be surpassed by Burma."

Would she say that the reform process in Burma is "irreversible?"

Suu Kyi said: "I do not know whether the army is behind the reform. We do not know where the army stands in regard to the reforms and I've always said that until we know that the army is solidly behind the reform movement, we cannot say the process is irreversible."

Had sanctions imposed by the West affected the country?

She said: "The sanctions have affected the country to some extent. And the present government is very concerned with the removal of the sanctions. If the sanctions have not been effective at all, I do not see why they should worry about them."

She expects Western countries to make a decision on whether to lift sanctions or not after the April 1 by-elections.

Commenting on speculation that she might be offered a Cabinet post in a Thein Sein government, she said:

"If I take up a Cabinet post, I would have to vacate my seat in Parliament [if elected in the April 1 by-elections], and I am telling the people that I am not working so hard to get into Parliament simply to vacate my seat."

What would be the first foreign country that she will visit once she decides to go abroad?

"I've always said that the first country I would like to visit would be Norway because of all they did for us, when we were going through difficult times. We never forget friends who stood by you during difficult times. This is what I would like to do, but that doesn't mean that Norway would be the first country I [would] visit. It depends very much on the circumstances."

Questioned about the impact of the Arab Spring on the situation in Burma, Suu Kyi responded: "What the Arab Spring has taught us is that people everywhere are linked by the love for liberty, fairness and justice. I think it's a good revelation that we all share the basic values."

On how Burma will balance the US, China and Asean in terms of geopolitics, she said: "This is something we have to work out. Of course, it's not easy because we are between two most powerful and largest countries in the world, and of course, Asean is at one side of us, and also the West, which may be further away, but [is] closely linked.

"It is not impossible for us to be friends with everybody, to maintain the relationship based on understanding and mutual respect, we all have much to offer one another. Burma has experiences that other Asean countries have not had. So we can share experiences and we have a lot to offer the West. Although we are still an economically under-developed country, we still can offer spiritual values and culture. So I hope it will be a sharing process."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-27

Well, given how the current government is performing, we can expect Burma to surpass us in a not too distant future.

It will be most interesting to see how things develop in the next 10 years or so. Should Burma open up more and the people more enabled to build something, I think that many Burmese currently working in Thailand will return to Burma and set up their own businesses.

A lot of resorts and restaurents in the southern islands use Burmese staff. Burma has many undeveloped islands which will be very popular with people who used to enjoy Phangan and Samui 10-15 years ago. I can think of a few guys who will open bungalow resorts on those islands.

Disappointing to read. Suu Kyi doesn't say how to get to the "equality". A tax on Thailand? Welfare for Burma? Equal economies based on???

If the government continues to open up, then the sanctions should be lifted, then businesses can invest and let the free market work.

How long should it take to achieve "equality"?

Give them a hand, not a continuous handout.

I do have alot of respect for Suu Kyi, however I do think someone else in Myanmar could also talk about how the country is opening up and modernising. I mean I think she is just setting herself up for a big fall by being so prominent in Myanmar when the guys who are really in control should be getting some of the limelight and talking about how the country is opening up? I know the country has a long way to go, and don't condone what has happened before, but the government has to be given some credit and media attention for giving democracy a chance?

Edited by MaiChai

I do have alot of respect for Suu Kyi, however I do think someone else in Myanmar could also talk about how the country is opening up and modernising. I mean I think she is just setting herself up for a big fall by being so prominent in Myanmar when the guys who are really in control should be getting some of the limelight and talking about how the country is opening up? I know the country has a long way to go, and don't condone what has happened before, but the government has to be given some credit and media attention for giving democracy a chance?

I'm not sure if you can go that far. I'll have to ask the locals when I get there next time but its going to be awhile before the people there actually believe in it. I myself haven't been sold into it yet. As for the country opening up, I really hope that happens. After years of watching from the sideline, I think the events that are taking place "might" actually be breakthroughs. But after years of BS, and similarish farce in the past, its hard to imagine some real reform happening. And I'm suppose to be the optimist one in the family.