Phuket Hotel Barman Dies In Motorbike Crash

webfact

Phuket hotel barman dies in motorbike crash

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12420UGaBIfyHZqvrKikmvfAmYSmpll.jpg

Rescue workers said Phuket resort barman Phichit Masmalai probably died instantly when he lost control of his motorbike and ran into a utility poll. Photo: Wichai Witthawat

PHUKET: -- A hotel barman died instantly last night when his motorbike slammed into a utility pole in Koh Kaew, north of Phuket Town.

Phuket City Police were notified of the accident, opposite the Isuzu showroom on Thepkrasattri Road, at about 11:45pm.

Phuket Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers rushed to the scene to find 40-year-old Phichit Masmalai lying face down on the road in a pool of blood.

The rescue workers administered emergency first aid to try to revive him, but the resident of Cherng Talay was declared dead at the scene.

A search of his body recovered an employee card identifying him as a worker at the Sunwing Resort Kamala Beach, where he was a barman.

Rescue workers said Mr Pichit appeared to have died of massive head trauma after losing control of the motorbike he was riding and hitting a roadside utility pole face-first at high speed.

He was wearing a low-cost safety helmet that cracked during the crash, workers said.

A heavy-duty, full-face helmet might have saved his life, they said.

Witnesses at the scene told police no other vehicles appeared to be involved in the accident.

Mr Phichit’s body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12420.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-27

low cost helmet .... well , nothing to ad to this comment . one more time , one more dead .... I wonder when government will start to act to take decision about road safety , roads rules etc ....Not to mention also the drivers who should protect themselves in a better way . that is sad.

Seems like at least one person dies every day in Phuket........sad.png

I think the 'official' reports show about 18 fatalities per month with road accidents. I suppose if you factor in murders, suicides, drownings, other accidents then your 1 per day might b about right.

And my friends who live or holiday there wonder why I never come visit........

I think the 'official' reports show about 18 fatalities per month with road accidents. I suppose if you factor in murders, suicides, drownings, other accidents then your 1 per day might b about right.

Are you afraid you'll ride your bike into a post, or perhaps drown yourself, if you came to Phuket?

Is it me or does there seem to be a trend of many bike and car fatalities caused by hitting power poles. I mean i know there are plenty about but it seems many are have severly bad luck by hitting them.....

There's not a day goes by where you don't here of a traffic fatality. You really need eyes in the back of your head contending with congested Phuket roads these days not forgetting the maniacs that drive on them.....

<snip>

There's not a day goes by where you don't here of a traffic fatality. You really need eyes in the back of your head contending with congested Phuket roads these days not forgetting the maniacs that drive on them.....

That's a big exaggeration. Maybe every other day. And how many deaths on the road in Bangkok and in every other major city around the world ??

Are you afraid you'll ride your bike into a post, or perhaps drown yourself, if you came to Phuket?

Yes.

That is my fear for sure.........

Actually, the true reason is that I live in a non-falang area.

No girl bars.

No loud obnoxious drunken falangs.

No traffic jams, etc.etc.etc...

Not to mention that I live with my wife, mother in law and two daughters.

And have farms.

So as you can see I'm pretty busy and happy right where I am kap wai.gif .

I was driving in Phuket last week. Fine in the day time, but at night the twisted, hilly roads are very poorly lit, sand from rain run off had washed over some of the roads - IMO all a recipe for disastrous bike accidents. Combine all that with tourists (myself included) who do not know the roads and go slowly, with locals (mainly van drivers) who don't want to sit behind a slower driver and there on a plate is the potential for a major accident when risky over taking maneuvers are performed.

In the busy parts, add lighting and widen the roads where possible and the injury and death toll all over Thailand would be reduced.

Better still - it would not be difficult for the government to place road safety advertisements at peak periods on peak channels (i.e. 1,3,7,5 & 9)....

<snip>

That's a big exaggeration. Maybe every other day. And how many deaths on the road in Bangkok and in every other major city around the world ??

Your going off on a tangent talking about BKK and elsewhere when the focus is primarily Phuket.

"Big exageration".... I know your trying to protect Phuket but sometimes you have to accept the facts...

"Big exageration".... I know your trying to protect Phuket but sometimes you have to accept the facts...

Hey, I know Phuket's problems first hand. I ain't protecting anything. Just saying that there is not a road death every day. To say that is an exaggeration, the facts are bad enough at (on average last year 2011) 18 road related deaths per month.

Hey, I know Phuket's problems first hand. I ain't protecting anything. Just saying that there is not a road death every day. To say that is an exaggeration, the facts are bad enough at (on average last year 2011) 18 road related deaths per month.

Maybe the facts are not true facts, as we both know there are many death cases that go un-noticed, not recorded or not publicised, therefore one death everyday is totally possible, fact is we'll never know..... anyway they're very sad and frighteneing statistics all the same...

Maybe the facts are not true facts, as we both know there are many death cases that go un-noticed, not recorded or not publicised, therefore one death everyday is totally possible, fact is we'll never know..... anyway they're very sad and frighteneing statistics all the same...

Huh? Facts are not true facts? According to who? You?

Edited by LivinginKata
flame removed