Jet-Skis, Rip-Offs And Noise Pollution: Phuket's Honorary Consuls Go Through The Motions

webfact

And as far as the noise pollution goes, that is a fight that will never be won. My sense of it, is that the Thai people do not hear noise. Or if they do, it just does not bother them. Also, I am convinced they are pathologically afraid of silence. It may allow them to hear the inner voice, and perhaps they do not like what they hear? Not sure, but to try to find peace and quite in thailand, is like trying to find a salmon run in central Africa, or a gold mine in Samui, or a pack of black bears in Chiang Mai. It just is not there.

Amen, if silence was golden they couldn't raise a dime.

Ha ha ha, I agree 100%. Thai's seem to have an aversion to silence. There has to be some kind of noise going on 24 hours a day. And loud noise.

"As a practical solution in the short term, Mr Carpenter suggested posting signs at both Surin and Laem Singh Beaches warning tourists of the potential dangers of renting jet-skis there"

If they ever get put up they will last nanoseconds.

What is the point really of these meetings? If the consuls are treated like this from the guys/girls at the top what does it say for the likes of us???

You're missing the point. Our Honorary Consuls don't actually care.

They raise the odd point to make it appear as if they are concerned, but as long as the reply is 'we'll do something' giggle.gif - they can walk away and continue with their lives.

The "guys/girls at the top" are doing exactly the same.

Well yours might not but I do know that Larry Cunningham does...and if being called out at 3/4 am in the morning to identify, then notify relevant authorities in Bangkok that their son/daughter is not coming home alive is not caring...then you are a bigger tosspot than I thought!!What a stupid ignorant statement by someone who hasn't got a clue!! Edited by sydneyjed
  • Like 1

Well yours might not but I do know that Larry Cunningham does...and if being called out at 3/4 am in the morning to identify, then notify relevant authorities in Bangkok that their son/daughter is not coming home alive is not caring...then you are a bigger tosspot than I thought!!What a stupid ignorant statement by someone who hasn't got a clue!!

Larry Cunningham has been unusually outspoken for a consulate representative (based on recent history). He has issued warnings reported widely in the Australian media about the seedier side of Phuket and has also spoken up more than once to Thai officials. It might be beating his head against the wall but at least he is saying something. I'm sure it doesn't help his standing in Phuket amongst certain self interested groups.

What a total joke and complete waste of time.

The fact that the higher ups meeting with the Honorary Consuls are covering for the scammers, pretty much says everything that needs to be said about this scam and probably every other scam happening in town as well.

The island is just a cash cow for these self interested groups and a public relations exercise once a year is about as much as one can hope for and expect based on other examples of Thai behaviour and outcomes..Having said that what else can you do..at least try to highlight these persistant scams or just say nothing?Larry has always tried his best with the general tourist always at heart...What ever anyone may think tell me this...Would you really like to be the one who has to go and identify the body of a twenty three girl killed on a motor bike at 3 am then go and have to notify the relevant people?They are trying their best and if anyone else can come up with a better idea please enlighten us all on here instead of these smug,ignorant smart ar.e comments!

I reckon that in the larger picture of crime in LoS these jetski scams in Pattaya and Phuket do not represent and overwhelming or even very serious problem.

There are far worse crimes going on in LoS on a daily basis.

How much resources should be diverted from other areas of law enforcement and into preventing jetski scams?

If foreign offices in other countries are really concerned about the jetski scams they could easily arrange handouts of informative leaflets with warnings to any of their nationals checking in on a flight to LoS.

I reckon that in the larger picture of crime in LoS these jetski scams in Pattaya and Phuket do not represent and overwhelming or even very serious problem.

There are far worse crimes going on in LoS on a daily basis.

How much resources should be diverted from other areas of law enforcement and into preventing jetski scams?

If foreign offices in other countries are really concerned about the jetski scams they could easily arrange handouts of informative leaflets with warnings to any of their nationals checking in on a flight to LoS.

It is all about the money. Law enforcement here is very selective. Read first sentence again.

Well yours might not but I do know that Larry Cunningham does...and if being called out at 3/4 am in the morning to identify, then notify relevant authorities in Bangkok that their son/daughter is not coming home alive is not caring...then you are a bigger tosspot than I thought!!What a stupid ignorant statement by someone who hasn't got a clue!!

Larry Cunningham has been unusually outspoken for a consulate representative (based on recent history). He has issued warnings reported widely in the Australian media about the seedier side of Phuket and has also spoken up more than once to Thai officials. It might be beating his head against the wall but at least he is saying something. I'm sure it doesn't help his standing in Phuket amongst certain self interested groups.

Not sure it is about caring or not. I think there are some very well intentioned honorary consuls, and ambassadors here. But, what are they up against? A system that has zero interest or intention to change. Neither the central government, the state govt., the local govt. in Phuket, Samui, or Pattaya ( the scam capitals of thailand), the TAT, or the AOT have any interest in changing anything. The police are totally incompetent. They are bought and paid for whores. There are in my estimate less than 100 real police in the kingdom, who care about justice, and are unwilling to be bought and paid for. Where are those guys? Why doesn't anyone in power care, or why won't anyone put their ass on the line to improve their country? This is just another example of the paradox that exists with the proudest country I have ever been in, that has absolutely zero pride in doing a good job, providing a good product, or service, or making sure that tourists go home happy, content, and wanting to return to the LOS. If any rocket scientist amongst us can figure this one out, please let us know.

"As a practical solution in the short term, Mr Carpenter suggested posting signs at both Surin and Laem Singh Beaches warning tourists of the potential dangers of renting jet-skis there"

If they ever get put up they will last nanoseconds.

What is the point really of these meetings? If the consuls are treated like this from the guys/girls at the top what does it say for the likes of us???

You're missing the point. Our Honorary Consuls don't actually care.

They raise the odd point to make it appear as if they are concerned, but as long as the reply is 'we'll do something' giggle.gif - they can walk away and continue with their lives.

The "guys/girls at the top" are doing exactly the same.

I'm missing something here.

How can an Honorary Consul be called out at 3/4 a.m. to identify someone they have never met?

The insults do not further the debate. We speak as we find, based on the experiences we have had with our own Hon Consuls. Admittedly, the last time I had reason to deal with the UK Consul was a number of years ago. I gather somebody else is now doing the job and is a lot more helpful to expats.

And as far as the noise pollution goes, that is a fight that will never be won. My sense of it, is that the Thai people do not hear noise. Or if they do, it just does not bother them.

You're right, and furthermore, there is no concept of anyone having a "right" to peace or privacy.

Such things are luxury goods that anyone is free to try to purchase, but as time goes on it gets more expensive.

It is down to a bunch of unregulated thugs threatening innocent victims.

The thugs are quite well-regulated, but not in the public interest, only that of their powerful sponsors/employers. The latter are officials in the organizations that are in theory supposed to look out for the public interest, or in reality are much more powerful than anyone who gives a hoot.

The only practical way to solve the problem is to warn the tourists, and the only safe way to do that is via international publicity - anyone actually doing so effectively at the local level will probably find their life mysteriously cut short.

Nice if them but I can no longer entertain the fantasy Thai authorities give a crap as they are obviously profiting from payola.

As long as selling sex is Thailands a major draw, tourists will always.. er .. come, no matter the hassles and rip offs

If we really wanted to change things we could always arm ourselves and simply take the island over. [ sarcastically serious smiley]

The Nation(alist) did an expose some years ago that found about half the school drinking fountains used lead lined containers.

explains a lot about the infantile "me, me, me " mentality and utter lack of foresight pervasive within the culture. ( IMO )

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/10/19/national/national_30052996.php

It was initially found some 7,681 schools provided drinking water via water coolers, and 3,605 of them used lead-lined tanks, she said. Obec would quickly survey every other school in the country.

Not sure it is about caring or not. I think there are some very well intentioned honorary consuls, and ambassadors here. But, what are they up against? A system that has zero interest or intention to change. Neither the central government, the state govt., the local govt. in Phuket, Samui, or Pattaya ( the scam capitals of thailand), the TAT, or the AOT have any interest in changing anything. The police are totally incompetent. They are bought and paid for whores. There are in my estimate less than 100 real police in the kingdom, who care about justice, and are unwilling to be bought and paid for. Where are those guys? Why doesn't anyone in power care, or why won't anyone put their ass on the line to improve their country? This is just another example of the paradox that exists with the proudest country I have ever been in, that has absolutely zero pride in doing a good job, providing a good product, or service, or making sure that tourists go home happy, content, and wanting to return to the LOS. If any rocket scientist amongst us can figure this one out, please let us know.

It is down to a bunch of unregulated thugs threatening innocent victims.

The thugs are quite well-regulated, but not in the public interest, only that of their powerful sponsors/employers. The latter are officials in the organizations that are in theory supposed to look out for the public interest, or in reality are much more powerful than anyone who gives a hoot.

The only practical way to solve the problem is to warn the tourists, and the only safe way to do that is via international publicity - anyone actually doing so effectively at the local level will probably find their life mysteriously cut short.

Yes. ..and aided and abetted by people at the very top. I find it ironic that the Marine Police Chief was at the meeting and soke nonsense about insurance!

My gut tells me there is more to this man and the jet ski thugs than meets the eye.