BANGKOK 16 February 2019 14:46
Sign in to follow this  
Pillion

Chinese Restaurants

I'm very fond of Chinese food, particularly Cantonese.

Does anyone know of an affordable restaurant in Chiang Mai? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Not Cantonese but authentic Teochew food can be had at Jia Tong Heng

1: 193/2-3 Sridonchai Rd. (opposite Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel)

or

2: 222 Moo 5, Chiangmai-Lampang Rd.

There's no good Chinese food here. It's all Thai Chinese food or Thai food with a Chinese spin. I've tried all the places recommended except the large place off the Super Highway near Teppanya Hospital and didn't like any of them. Cantonese style is my favorite.

If you ask for chow mein anywhere, they look at you and have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by elektrified

Anyone ever try the chinese place in the Empress hotel?

Owner of Mei Jiang is Cantonese from Hongkong there's nothing Thai about the his food. Excellent food, don't forget another branch 'Yangsee Jiang' in Nimmanhaemin. Both provide Authentic Cantonese style food

Fujian at Dara Devi Oriental chef also from Hongkong excellent meal. I dare you to try it.

Jia Tong Heng is more like Thai interpretation of Chinese food but cheap. Owner attitude toward me was pretty rude and arrogant.

'Chow mein' is more like American Chinese food and there's no where in Thailand that I know of making them

The one near Teppanya Hospital also Jia Tong Heng.

There's no good Chinese food here. It's all Thai Chinese food or Thai food with a Chinese spin. I've tried all the places recommended except the large place off the Super Highway near Teppanya Hospital and didn't like any of them. Cantonese style is my favorite.

If you ask for chow mein anywhere, they look at you and have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Tried but long time ago wasn't too bad.

Anyone ever try the chinese place in the Empress hotel?

the cantonese chinese resturant in a soi off nimmanhaemin is small but the food is cantonese,not very expensive.but food good.

Owner of Mei Jiang is Cantonese from Hongkong there's nothing Thai about the his food. Excellent food, don't forget another branch 'Yangsee Jiang' in Nimmanhaemin. Both provide Authentic Cantonese style food

Fujian at Dara Devi Oriental chef also from Hongkong excellent meal. I dare you to try it.

Jia Tong Heng is more like Thai interpretation of Chinese food but cheap. Owner attitude toward me was pretty rude and arrogant.

'Chow mein' is more like American Chinese food and there's no where in Thailand that I know of making them

The one near Teppanya Hospital also Jia Tong Heng.

Is Mei Jiang the place in the little plaza on Chang Klan?

the cantonese chinese resturant in a soi off nimmanhaemin is small but the food is cantonese,not very expensive.but food good.

Is that 'Yangsee Jiang' that ARISTIDE recommended?

Used to be a while ago, Mei Jiang is currently located at Muu Baan Chiang Mai Land, better parking near by.

Used to be a while ago, Mei Jiang is currently located at Muu Baan Chiang Mai Land, better parking near by.

We went to the Chang Klan Plaza location one time (the place with all the photos of the Princess eating there) along with a relative who is Chinese from Malaysia. None of us liked the food and the Chinese guy thought it was Thai food with a Chinese spin. We never went back.

IMO, the sweet and sour soup was the best I have had in Thailand, but nothing else that I tried was all that great.