Chinese Restaurants

Pillion

There's no good Chinese food here. It's all Thai Chinese food or Thai food with a Chinese spin. I've tried all the places recommended except the large place off the Super Highway near Teppanya Hospital and didn't like any of them. Cantonese style is my favorite.

If you ask for chow mein anywhere, they look at you and have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by elektrified

Owner of Mei Jiang is Cantonese from Hongkong there's nothing Thai about the his food. Excellent food, don't forget another branch 'Yangsee Jiang' in Nimmanhaemin. Both provide Authentic Cantonese style food

Fujian at Dara Devi Oriental chef also from Hongkong excellent meal. I dare you to try it.

Jia Tong Heng is more like Thai interpretation of Chinese food but cheap. Owner attitude toward me was pretty rude and arrogant.

'Chow mein' is more like American Chinese food and there's no where in Thailand that I know of making them

The one near Teppanya Hospital also Jia Tong Heng.

There's no good Chinese food here. It's all Thai Chinese food or Thai food with a Chinese spin. I've tried all the places recommended except the large place off the Super Highway near Teppanya Hospital and didn't like any of them. Cantonese style is my favorite.

If you ask for chow mein anywhere, they look at you and have no idea what you are talking about.

Edited by ARISTIDE

Owner of Mei Jiang is Cantonese from Hongkong there's nothing Thai about the his food. Excellent food, don't forget another branch 'Yangsee Jiang' in Nimmanhaemin. Both provide Authentic Cantonese style food

Fujian at Dara Devi Oriental chef also from Hongkong excellent meal. I dare you to try it.

Jia Tong Heng is more like Thai interpretation of Chinese food but cheap. Owner attitude toward me was pretty rude and arrogant.

'Chow mein' is more like American Chinese food and there's no where in Thailand that I know of making them

Is Mei Jiang the place in the little plaza on Chang Klan?

Used to be a while ago, Mei Jiang is currently located at Muu Baan Chiang Mai Land, better parking near by.

Is Mei Jiang the place in the little plaza on Chang Klan?

We went to the Chang Klan Plaza location one time (the place with all the photos of the Princess eating there) along with a relative who is Chinese from Malaysia. None of us liked the food and the Chinese guy thought it was Thai food with a Chinese spin. We never went back.

the cantonese chinese resturant in a soi off nimmanhaemin is small but the food is cantonese,not very expensive.but food good.

Is that 'Yangsee Jiang' that ARISTIDE recommended?

yes was going to go tonight but ended up in the pizza place across the road,the soi is left after the scb bank,if coming from amari end,and its on your right,quite a big car park,worth a visit.

I must admit I quite like going to the Holiday Inn for Chinese food. A little more expensive the most places, though not the Fujian. The only thing that lets it down is lack of atmosphere. there.

Chinese food at Holiday Inn have good authentic Chinese taste and it's dim sum.

+1

I think some farang should start a Chinese takeout joint in Chiang Mai like Panda express or something and he will be filthy rich.

chinese_takeout.jpg

Chow Mien

Beef with Broccoli

Egg Roll

BBQ Spare Ribs

General Tsao Chicken

Kung Pao Chicken

Ma Po Tou <deleted>

Sounds like a good idea

• Like 2

I think some farang should start a Chinese takeout joint in Chiang Mai like Panda express or something and he will be filthy rich.

chinese_takeout.jpg

Chow Mien

Beef with Broccoli

Egg Roll

BBQ Spare Ribs

General Tsao Chicken

Kung Pao Chicken

Ma Po Tou <deleted>

Sounds like a good idea

Sounds like Charlottesville, VA

"Chow Mein" in Cantonese is fried (Chow) mee(Mein).and its that's a particular type of noodle as you know there are a wide variety of noodles.

And Jia Tong Heng is Teochew and that's from the mouth of a native of the eastern Guangdong province. I'd be interested to know why the original shop has kept its non airconditioned area. Is it less expensive?

• 6 years later...
16 minutes ago, malibukid said:

strange that there is not decent Chinese food here.  tried the Lucky Cafe at Maya and it was just mediocre.  with all the Chinese coming to CM you would think that a few new places would open up.

There are many Chinese food, just go to Warorot which is CM's Chinatown and Anusarn market.

I see many Chinese tourists especially in Anusarn night market.

They are owned by Thai Chinese.

Edited by EricTh

54 minutes ago, malibukid said:

strange that there is not decent Chinese food here.  tried the Lucky Cafe at Maya and it was just mediocre.  with all the Chinese coming to CM you would think that a few new places would open up.

Chinese food in the West is different to Chinese food in China though .

You dont get (many )western style Chinese restaurants in Asia

Edited by sanemax
addition

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You dont get western style Chinese restaurants in Asia

absolute statements are rarely true, this also applies to this one.

in Pattaya, the Chinese restaurants at the Royal Cliff and the Montien Hotel serve food similar to what's served at Chinese restaurants in Europe. The Dusit Thani also has such a restaurant in the tower's top floor.

in Bangkok, there is also "Crystal Jade" in the Emporium Mall. Delicious and many Western-style Chinese dishes.

14 minutes ago, manarak said:

absolute statements are rarely true, this also applies to this one.

in Pattaya, the Chinese restaurants at the Royal Cliff and the Montien Hotel serve food similar to what's served at Chinese restaurants in Europe. The Dusit Thani also has such a restaurant in the tower's top floor.

in Bangkok, there is also "Crystal Jade" in the Emporium Mall. Delicious and many Western-style Chinese dishes.

Well yeah, there are probably a few , but what I meant was that generally , Chinese restaurants in Thailand are of the Chinese style , rather than the western style