Pregnant Mother, Family Killed In Phuket Road Accident

webfact

Pregnant mother, family killed in Phuket road accident

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-12447ooKHRfTtbBVCdhfXageJiQKRPN.jpg

The scene of the accident on Srisoonthorn Road in Phuket last night. Photo: Wichai Witthawat.

phuket-4-12447vykMGtihSIGZRvwFhpHEDkJBUg.jpg

The wreckage of the family’s Phuket registered Honda motorbike, which apparently hit a road sign support after the initial impact with the Nissan. Photo: Wichai Witthawat.

PHUKET: -- A family of three from Uttaradit province died when their motorcycle was hit by a pick-up truck in the rainy conditions in Phuket last night. Also killed was the unborn child of the pregnant mother.

Thalang Police were notified of an accident near the entrance to the Baan Wana housing estate on Srisoonthorn Road, about three kilometers west of the Phuket Heroines’ Monument, at about 9:30pm.

Led by duty officer Somkhid Khawsang, Thalang Police and Phuket Kusoldharm Foundation workers raced to the scene, where they found a crumpled motorbike and three bodies lying on the pavement.

Dead at the scene from multiple trauma injuries were 25-year-old Uttaradit native Suphat Punted and a boy aged about nine or ten years, presumed to be his son.

Kusoldharm Foundation workers performed CPR on the only survivor, a woman in her 20s presumed to be the wife of the late Mr Suphat. She was still alive when she reached the emergency ward at Thalang Hospital, but died shortly thereafter. A preliminary examination of the body by medical staff found the woman was six or seven months pregnant.

Only Mr Suphat was carrying identification at the time of the crash.

Nearby the motorbike was a Phuket-registered Nissan Navara pick-up truck turned over on its side, with a badly damaged front bumper and hood, its headlights still illuminated.

Police found the driver, a man in his 40s, among the crowd gathered at the scene.

Sensing the potential for danger among the growing crowd of locals who braved the rain to view the accident scene, they took the man into custody for his own protection as well as initial charging.

The driver did not flee the scene, as some media have reported.

Thalang Police initially suspect that the driver of the motorbike, presumed to have been Mr Suphat, may have been at fault for pulling out of a side soi too quickly for the truck to brake in time. They will continue to investigate the cause of the crash today, a rescue worker told the Gazette.

No crash helmets were found at the scene, he added.

The area where the crash took place is a straight, well-lit section of Srisoonthorn Road.

The poorly-lit, curved stretch to the east of last night's accident has been the site of numerous fatal road accidents over the years, the most recent being the death of a Phuket Wittayalai student who crashed into the back of a pickup on Friday afternoon.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle12447.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-02-29

And another one .... in a country where people can be 3 or 4 on a motorcycle without helmet or good quality helmet is usual . I feel sorry for the kid and pregnant woman , very sad story indeed. But I doubt legislation will ever change , mentality of people should evolute otherwise nothing will ever change and Thailand will still be seen as a country under development, nothing else.

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of people riding scooters in a manner that is totally unsafe? 3+ people at a time or by kids barely old enough to wipe their own <deleted>?

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of poorly lit, poorly maintained roads?

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of unsafe cars and drivers, kids on the roads?

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of signages that often obscure warning signs that are intended to improve safety on the roads?

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of doing nothing about the problems that occur on a daily basis instead of reacting in a state of shock or horror, when these things do happen???????

When will, when will?????????????

• Like 2

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of people riding scooters in a manner that is totally unsafe? 3+ people at a time or by kids barely old enough to wipe their own <deleted>?

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of poorly lit, poorly maintained roads?

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of unsafe cars and drivers, kids on the roads?

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of signages that often obscure warning signs that are intended to improve safety on the roads?

When will Thailand do anything about the propensity of doing nothing about the problems that occur on a daily basis instead of reacting in a state of shock or horror, when these things do happen???????

NEVER

thailand, the hub of places where as a farang it is dangerous to assume that your life is worth more than a motorcycle... how many times in my own moo baan that i almost was crushed by an ahole that turns his car just in front of me thinking that he must have priority over everything... not later than this morning, 2 women driving a bicycle, comming on the road, a car comes from a side street and does not stop at all to give priority, he almost crushes the two ladies in front of me, that have to make an ivase manoeuvre not to get crushed

And another one .... in a country where people can be 3 or 4 on a motorcycle without helmet or good quality helmet is usual . I feel sorry for the kid and pregnant woman , very sad story indeed. But I doubt legislation will ever change , mentality of people should evolute otherwise nothing will ever change and Thailand will still be seen as a country under development, nothing else.

What has a helmet go to do with it! ? Would stop people crashing into people?

Another tragic loss of 4 lives. This is not the moment to discuss helmets and driving proficiency. RIP

So when is.. belive you can moderate what we say but not when we say it... something has to happen to Phuket's traffic system. and enforcement thereof

Condolences and RIP in all sincerity but let not the loss of these lives be totally in vain yet again.

• Like 1

This poor unfortunate family wiped out... victims yet again on Phuket roads. RIP to the family.

Any civilised society that genuinely cares about its people would do something. The authorities through the police would enforce even basic rules of the road.

As with everything else in Thailand it is down to money and what can be extracted. It may be more financially attractive for the police to actually police the roads, pool all the legit fines for traffic infringements and divvy it up legally. There would, as with every change be problems, but not as bad as the current problems.

Just a thought.

Edited by harleyclarkey

In London just after the war Cars were in very short supply and petrol was rationed. Many people including my father had a motorbike, the whole family would use it, but not the Thai way, we had a two seater sidecar. Incidentally, according to statistics, a sidecar combo had less accidents than a car, probably because father was concerned for his family's safety. I have never seen a sidecar in Thailand but plenty of sidecarts, strange.

Another tragic loss of 4 lives. This is not the moment to discuss helmets and driving proficiency. RIP

So when is.. belive you can moderate what we say but not when we say it... something has to happen to Phuket's traffic system. and enforcement thereof

Condolences and RIP in all sincerity but let not the loss of these lives be totally in vain yet again.

It is sad, I do not mean to take that away from a terrible accident. But also, i sometimes do have enough of people saying "and no helmet". Surely they should thinking about prevention of accidents instead of thinking wearing a helmet would have helped. (Maybe even a "proper" one)

Bad driving, bad roads are the cause, not not wearing a helmet.

• Like 1

I am afraid it seems that driving proficiency, or the total lack of it, seems to be at fault here;

"Thalang Police initially suspect that the driver of the motorbike, presumed to have been Mr Suphat, may have been at fault for pulling out of a side soi too quickly"

If not now then when? When everything is fine and people can't see the what happens when you drive poorly or don't wear a helmet on a motor bike? I think this should be handled like the handled smoking in my home state in USA. There we got to see real dead peoples lungs and hearts. People who smoked and those who didn't. Here they should post photos of the accidents, Especially of kids, for kids in the equivalent of 5th grade. I noticed that's about when kids start driving those bikes here. Not much you can do to the adults who have made it this long in life and are determined to not change, but you can make a very good impression on kids when you start showing them human body parts and what a person looks like when their head pops open like a coconut. Especially when those you show are the same age as those viewing. And not to mention cops doing their jobs, not letting kids ride around, and making sure people have real licences, and have to take a test that is worth taking. The motor cycle licence exam here is the same as the car one, and a quick trip around a small course on a moped. And that's in Bangkok. Don't even want to know what they do elsewhere or I might flip out.

• Like 1

Really? When is the time to discuss it? After a few more hundred kids die

How about when the relatives of this family have had time to grieve. A bit of respect please ....

• Like 1

Really? When is the time to discuss it? After a few more hundred kids die

How about when the relatives of this family have had time to grieve. A bit of respect please ....

You reply as if the families will be reading this?

The name Phuket has to be changed to: ROAD KILL Capital of Thailand.

Clearly some of you posters who complain about Phuket traffic have never driven a vehicle in Bangkok.

I drove a car in Bangkok for 25 years around all parts of the city at all times of day and night.

Then I moved to Phuket and drove a motorcyle around Phuket at all times during day and night for 3 years -- without any problems.

Phuket is extremely safe for drivers who are sober and who practice defensive driving.

The flow of traffic is generally slow, and Phuket drivers are respectful of right-of-way (for Thailand)

So, unless you have more extensive experience, stop blaming the authorities and take a look in the mirror.

• Like 2

I live in Thailand. I love Thailand and on the whole Thai people. I have decided to retire here as well in the coming few years. However, the moment I started driving here about a year ago, I have concluded that when it comes to road safety / etiquette / proficiency, this is really a land of buffaloes and idiots. In my opinion, Thai driving is firmly rooted at the bottom.

Sad to say, there are also a few farangs who are not much better. Over at the motoring forum, they are bragging about going at speeds in excess of 140 kmh. This is excessive for Thailand, no exceptions! I even drive below the 120 kmh speed limit on the Bangkok - Chonburi express way as no way is it safe with the amount of traffic and vastly differing skills of drivers on this road, not to mention the condition of the road itself.

Sadly though, I doubt if things will ever change in my generation or the next. No amount of deaths will raise the awareness of a race of people whose values are unlike any others in this world. Best we can do is drive safely and defensively ourselves, always expecting the unexpected and always assuming that the other road users are just not up to world (Western) standards.

• Like 1

I passed this accident just after it happened last night, the family were not pulling out from a soi but returning from the temple fair that was happening just up the road, conditions were very wet and this is a very bad part of the road where it instantly turns from 2 lanes traffic to one and people are always racing to get in front as the two lanes become one. Sad sad loss of life, I didn't see the driver of the Nissan but most people were saying that he was a farang driver.

Some paople say that Thailand is quite safe for drivers if you're careful, one thing I know, in all my life I had never seen a dead body after an accident, here though, I see them nearly every week.

Edited by badgerbailey

It is sad, I do not mean to take that away from a terrible accident. But also, i sometimes do have enough of people saying "and no helmet". Surely they should thinking about prevention of accidents instead of thinking wearing a helmet would have helped. (Maybe even a "proper" one)

Bad driving, bad roads are the cause, not not wearing a helmet.

I beg to differ - about 20 years ago a driver pulled out onto a highway (100km/h) limit in front of me with 15m distance to go and opposite flowing traffic in the next lane - I flew over his hood and did the slide and bounce for a good 50-60m - my Arai kevlar and carbon fibre composite helmet certainly stopped my brains getting splattered all over that road (judging by the gouges and grooves in it later. Also my jacket with kevlar reinforcing strips along spine and elbows prevented injury there - I got out of it with just a broken leg.

Safety equipment when riding a motorbike is not optional - it's life-saving.

Edited by airconsult
  • Like 2

Not until they are educated properly...But don't forget, Thais can do no wrong...