Isaan Advice Please

whatnot

I'll be in BKK in 2-3 weeks and I am planning on taking the Northeastern route up into Laos. I have about 8-9 days I can spend tripping around the region- but would prefer to base myself out of 3-4 locations and spend some of reading/writing

I have been to Isaan before a long time ago and only as far as Korat and Phimai. I really loved the laid back pace of life and the lack of tourists.

I'll probably go to Korat for a couple of nights (Stay Khorat Hotel?), then to Khon Kaen (Sofitel if I can afford it) then to Udon Thani (Charoen?)

When in Khorat I will do a day trip to Phimai as I find it to be a very pleasant place.

I'd really appreciate some advice on the region's must sees. I want to get down to Phanom Rung- can I do that as a day trip from one of these cities (Korat) or should i spend a night in Surin or Buri Ram (if so can anyone recommend a hotel for 600-1000 bht/night) ? I would also like to have a few days of Thai lessons, which city would be best for this- (Khon Kaen?).

Or am I going about this the wrong way and should i head through the South (Buri Ram > Surin and into Laos at Savannaket (can i get a visa on entry there?).

Advice on transport would be appreciated too- I like the speed of an AC bus but some friends advice that they can be quite dangerous- are they paranoid? Is the scenery by train worth the extra time?

Sorry to ask 20+ questions. I have been reading through websites and Lonely Planet but advice from people in the know is always best IMO.

I'll be in BKK in 2-3 weeks and I am planning on taking the Northeastern route up into Laos. I have about 8-9 days I can spend tripping around the region- but would prefer to base myself out of 3-4 locations and spend some of reading/writing

I have been to Isaan before a long time ago and only as far as Korat and Phimai. I really loved the laid back pace of life and the lack of tourists.

I'll probably go to Korat for a couple of nights (Stay Khorat Hotel?), then to Khon Kaen (Sofitel if I can afford it) then to Udon Thani (Charoen?)

When in Khorat I will do a day trip to Phimai as I find it to be a very pleasant place.

I'd really appreciate some advice on the region's must sees. I want to get down to Phanom Rung- can I do that as a day trip from one of these cities (Korat) or should i spend a night in Surin or Buri Ram (if so can anyone recommend a hotel for 600-1000 bht/night) ? I would also like to have a few days of Thai lessons, which city would be best for this- (Khon Kaen?).

Or am I going about this the wrong way and should i head through the South (Buri Ram > Surin and into Laos at Savannaket (can i get a visa on entry there?).

Advice on transport would be appreciated too- I like the speed of an AC bus but some friends advice that they can be quite dangerous- are they paranoid? Is the scenery by train worth the extra time?

Sorry to ask 20+ questions. I have been reading through websites and Lonely Planet but advice from people in the know is always best IMO.

As no-one else has answered you, I'll try to answer;

Phanomrung is just over an hours drive from Khorat, so unless you want to stay in Buriram do it as a day trip.

However if you are using public transport you may need to stay overnight depending on timings.

My personal opinion is that the train is always worth any extra time. The service is better, they phone ahead to cook your meals at the next station if you order food, extra legroom, and of course the scenery is 300% better!

Nothing wrong with buses if you need speed. Don't get me wrong, the speed of the train isn't bad (BKK to Khorat on bus is 4 hrs, on train 4 hrs 20 mins), but trains are usually only a few a day, and often need to be booked ahead to guarantee a place, whereas buses go every 20 mins or so.

Paranoid of buses? well they are Thai drivers (driving a bus, but with a motorbike riders mentality), but accidents don't happen as often as the gossip will lead you to believe. Of course someone here will say 'it happened to me', but we all use the buses.

Thai lessons..... lessons in what??.....

If politely assuming you mean language, you'll find schools everywhere. Quality varies from teacher to teacher though and a quick chat in English first will probably tell you what you need to know.

If the Sofitel in Khon Kaen is too much, then the Khosa is only two doors down.

Phimai Inn is the best hotel in Phimai, and the only one with a pool, but Phimai Hotel which is more basic is in the centre of town.

Can't speak for hotels further out.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for the wondeful reply.

I'll take the train to Khorat and possibly further afield (can i take my pack onboard with me if i travel second class?).

Sorry- I did mean Thai language lessons. If possible i'd prefer a private tutor, possibly someone who could act as a guide a little as well.

Hi Andy,

I'll take the train to Khorat and possibly further afield (can i take my pack onboard with me if i travel second class?).

Sorry- I did mean Thai language lessons. If possible i'd prefer a private tutor, possibly someone who could act as a guide a little as well.

In Khon Kaen there's no need to spend 1000+ at Sofitel or Kosa for a bed.

The Kaen Inn, almost across the road from the a/c bus terminal is very decent value at 500baht.

The Phi Mai Inn on the ring road is certainly good value, although still in the final building stages. Nice clean, cheap hotel, with not a bad restaurant. In Kora6t, I found one of the best value big hotels I have ever been to in the Korat Royal Princess. It is 1,600/1,700 a night, but has all the trappings of a top hotel. The evening buffet and wonderful breakfast, well make up for the extra cost.

If you are planning to visit Phanom Rung, Khoa Pra Wiharn, Ta Muang, Sihkoraphum Historic sites, then Surin is an ideal center to stay. Majestic Hotel in the Bus station or Manerotte at the other end of town. For full Hotel list and attractions, click on topic in pinned sectionat top of page.

Hoipe you like Isaan. Most people do.

You'll probably find there are a few more tourists these days. And a lot of farangs living hereabouts.

Sounds likely. I remember seeing a fair number of US military types (and retired military) in and around Khorat. Also ran into a few English teachers who were visitng from Khon Kaen but that was about it.

It's all good though- I can't wait !

Hi Andy,

Check the train timetables (www.railway.co.th). There is only one fast train a day which leaves Bangkok around 0545 and it is no more scenic than the bus. All the others are slow or very slow. The bus services are very good to excellent.

And yes you can take the kitchen sink on board the train in any class.

You must have been asleep if you think the train is no more scenic than the bus!

Train is 10 times better, and you don't get the constant whoosh as you pass the siplors, or they pass you. It's quite relaxing.

Even the slow trains to Khorat are good - they don't stop often.

Andy (in a controversial mood).

• 2 weeks later...
You must have been asleep if you think the train is no more scenic than the bus!

Train is 10 times better, and you don't get the constant whoosh as you pass the siplors, or they pass you. It's quite relaxing.

Even the slow trains to Khorat are good - they don't stop often.

Andy (in a controversial mood).

But, the schedule sucks.

If you get on the "express" diesel rail car at 10 AM in Korat, you don't get to Bangkok until 3 PM. That's five hours. The bus only takes 3 or 3 1/2 and departs every half hour.

I love trains. I'd ride if the schedule were better. But, I don't want to waste all day on the train when I can leave Korat in the morning and arrive by Noon with a full afternoon free.