BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
elwood

Central Shopping Plaza Ubon

Saw a report today (BP) regarding our upcoming Central Plaza. Apparently it is planned to open in April next year and is part of a development project to benefit from the Asean Economic Community in 2015.

The idea is to build plazas in border trade cities to attract traders and customers from neighbouring countries. Seeing as Central are no mugs at this game, we can expect plenty of Laos-registered vehicles trying to navigate Sapphasit Road on the wrong side!

This reminds me of some years ago in England when French and Belgians poured into Essex for shopping at the newly-opened giant malls, while Brits were doing daytrips to France for cheap booze.

Good news. I cannot figure out from Google Maps where it is, could you give me a rough idea based on local large shopping store locations!

I keep on hoping that Sizzler will appear in Ubon; maybe this time at the Central Plaza?

(Hope this doesn't start a flood of negative Sizzler comments, which would surely happen on the Pattaya or General forums!)

I keep on hoping that Sizzler will appear in Ubon; maybe this time at the Central Plaza?

(Hope this doesn't start a flood of negative Sizzler comments, which would surely happen on the Pattaya or General forums!)

Even though it is a chain I actually quite like Sizzler, it's easy and quite cheap. I guess the next best thing we have here currently is Jeffers in Sunee Mall (have you been there? It's hilarious, I ended up ordering two full set main courses and it still only cost me like 400 baht. Quality reminds me of a Filipino style joint).

Only thing I don't like about Sizzler is their no alcohol between 2pm and 5 policy as I always seem to get there at 2pm and cannot get a beer with my steak.

Based on my rather sketchy knowledge of Ubon I gather from those posts that the new Central Mall will be on the road that leads out to HomeHub, is that right?

Jeffers? possibly the worst place ive ever eaten in in Thailand. all the staff are young, unfriendly and utterly incompetent. the worst carbonara ive ever had. christ, i could make it better than there.

Jeffers? possibly the worst place ive ever eaten in in Thailand. all the staff are young, unfriendly and utterly incompetent. the worst carbonara ive ever had. christ, i could make it better than there.

Yeah, like I said it was so bad it was hilarious, I was starving and there were about 30 people in front of the queue for ShabuShi so we ducked into Jeffers instead as it was practically empty (always a good sign at lunch time). it was so cheap that I didnt really care how small the portions were. I thought the staff were really nice, menu looks good but the food was appalling. You live and learn. Walked past ShabuShi an hour later and they had only served two of the people in front of us so I probably would have starved to death if we'd waited.

Still getting to know Ubon so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Still getting to know Ubon so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are chasing a good hamburger go and try one at Peppers.

I agree about Jeffers, it is pretty awful stuff. When ever I am at Sunee, I tend to always end up at Fuji and always walk out satisfied.

Based on my rather sketchy knowledge of Ubon I gather from those posts that the new Central Mall will be on the road that leads out to HomeHub, is that right?

Those three links I gave you all say that the new mall is at the end of Sappasit road, where it hits the ring road. Can't get much better directions then that!!

Those three links I gave you all say that the new mall is at the end of Sappasit road, where it hits the ring road. Can't get much better directions then that!!

So everyone in the world knows the name of Sappasit road?? I just got to Ubon and don't use a map so my knowledge of everything here is still pretty poor.

I said where I'm guessing Central will be on the road out to HomeHub am I wrong?

You know what we are going to say, don't you? Use a map!!

Get a free one in the Tourist Office on ...... that road that turns left off th ..... aaagh I give up if you're not going to use a mapwai.gif

And yes, within a month of being in Ubon, everyone in the world knows where Sappasit Road is!!

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

You know what we are going to say, don't you? Use a map!!

Get a free one in the Tourist Office on ...... that road that turns left off th ..... aaagh I give up if you're not going to use a mapwai.gif

And yes, within a month of being in Ubon, everyone in the world knows where Sappasit Road is!!

There was a map in MeMock's link and I used GoogleMaps to make my guess of where I think it is, I was just asking for confirmation of whether I was right.

I live an hour away from the city, we just drive there, do our shopping, try to find somewhere nice to eat and then drive home. I think Sappasit Road is the main road with HomeMart on the right side that leads to that roundabout, and I think the Ring Road is the carriage way next to Big C with Makro on it, which is why I am guessing that Central will be on the corner of the road that leads off to HomeHub, am I right or not??

Hi Matt,

I think you are talking about Chang Sanit Road. That runs from the clock tower roundabout past Spagos restaurant and to the ring road.

Sappasit road has the main government hospital on it at one end and is called Sappasit Hospital. The new mall is at the other end of sappasit road where it hits highway 231 (the ring road). Very easy to find on google maps. It runs east and west to the main drag with Tesco on it (which is called Chayunkhun road)

Hi Matt,

I think you are talking about Chang Sanit Road. That runs from the clock tower roundabout past Spagos restaurant and to the ring road.

Sappasit road has the main government hospital on it at one end and is called Sappasit Hospital. The new mall is at the other end of sappasit road where it hits highway 231 (the ring road). Very easy to find on google maps. It runs east and west to the main drag with Tesco on it (which is called Chayunkhun road)

Thanks for the info. I will try to update my bearings when I drive to the city later today.

Cheers.

Even though it is a chain I actually quite like Sizzler, it's easy and quite cheap. I guess the next best thing we have here currently is Jeffers in Sunee Mall (have you been there? It's hilarious, I ended up ordering two full set main courses and it still only cost me like 400 baht. Quality reminds me of a Filipino style joint).

Only thing I don't like about Sizzler is their no alcohol between 2pm and 5 policy as I always seem to get there at 2pm and cannot get a beer with my steak.

Hello Matt,

We've always had decent meals and friendly service at Sizzler. Our granddaughter was introduced to it at 3 years old, and now, 10 years later, whenever we go to Bangkok or Pattaya she always looks forward to a meal. My wife usually orders a small main course and tucks in to the salad counter - she prefers the multi-choices there. But the fat farang manages to gorge on the starters and a main meal!

Matt, I should think that, when Central Plaza opens, you will have no trouble finding it; they will probably have several bloody great signposts along the ring road (231), and they will ensure that anyone who drives anywhere near will feel the urge to take a look!