Central Shopping Plaza Ubon

elwood

It kinds of remind me of the small towns in America where Mom and Pop shops were the rule, then Walmart would come to town and open up a superstore which bulldozed all the local competitors in town.

Maybe the Thai Govt. made Ubon the Hub of shopping. I find it hard to believe that the local people would be able to afford to shop

at such a place. I do hope it does succeed and help to create more jobs in the area.

At this moment in time there isn't enough cash to fund whats going on in Ubon, BUT, they all think there is going to be a mass exodus from the south, a gamble for sure, we will see. whistling.gif

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Exodus from the South? I don't think so. There's an exodus from flood zones around Bangkok though. According to a friend who sold homes for Sarin moobaans, they are selling as fast as they build them. There's more money around then you think.

Edited by ubonrthai

There are occasional postings on the thread below (In Thai) about the Ubon Sq & Central Plaza Developments. FB also has a page dedicated to projects around the city if anyone is interested to have thier partner translate some of the content. Google translate also helps to get an idea of what they are talking about on both sites:

http://www.facebook....i.Movingforward

http://www.skyscrape....php?p=92515449

Wife last week attended the Small medium enterprise business conference in the Sunee centre Ubon. Government guy gave a speech on development of Issan. Gather he made it plan, everywhere in Issan was a target except for Ubon. Ubon needs no Government assistance for re location of industry, it is growing at a pace that in a few years will out cost BKK. Don't know why so many companies have started to re locate, but they seem to be coming in droves. Sit in any bar, coffee shop and look at the number of new cars driving by, or for the older hands how much traffic. Place is just booming. Jim

• Like 1

Wife last week attended the Small medium enterprise business conference in the Sunee centre Ubon. Government guy gave a speech on development of Issan. Gather he made it plan, everywhere in Issan was a target except for Ubon. Ubon needs no Government assistance for re location of industry, it is growing at a pace that in a few years will out cost BKK. Don't know why so many companies have started to re locate, but they seem to be coming in droves. Sit in any bar, coffee shop and look at the number of new cars driving by, or for the older hands how much traffic. Place is just booming. Jim

Wet feet takes it's toll. whistling.gif

My mrs went to a Sunee thingy but it was a money thing. Fast exit. laugh.png

Not the same one, we get an invite every year from the SME Dept of Issan, invite only paid by the Government. Jim

Not the same one, we get an invite every year from the SME Dept of Issan, invite only paid by the Government. Jim

VIPs from the junglelaugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is a picture of the Surathani Central Plaza which is supposed to be completed in October. It's nearly identical in size to the one going up in Ubon so I thought I'd share it to give you an idea of the size. Khon Kaen's is also nearly identical in size. Also attached a picture of the progress on Home Pro.

post-103222-0-01925900-1341297180_thumb.

post-103222-0-92305300-1341297161_thumb.

Edited by ubonrthai

Attached is a picture of the Surathani Central Plaza which is supposed to be completed in October. It's nearly identical in size to the one going up in Ubon so I thought I'd share it to give you an idea of the size. Khon Kaen's is also nearly identical in size. Also attached a picture of the progress on Home Pro.

Folks in Ubon, such as readers of this site, seem to be excited or dreading the coming of Central Plaza to Ubon. Excited for those that want more shopping. Dreading for those fearing floods and massive traffic jams outside Benjamat school and the bypass road.

Two weeks ago I was in Sakon Nakhon. There a similar Central Plaza is being built on the road out of town that goes to Udorn (near the new bus station). But on this forum there is not one single mention of this huge development in Sakon Nakohn.

Is this because Ubon folks are more interested in shopping or more concerned about the environment or have idle time on their hands?

At least, when Ubon Cenral Plaza does open I won't have to drive. I will be within walking distance.

Probably more members live in Ubon than Sakhon Nakhon, thus more discussion. And for those that live in the area its interesting to discuss Ubon related development. For me, I like more restaurant options, Tops food variety, and another place to let my little tyke ride escalators.

• 2 weeks later...

Got this e-mail update from Sizzler.

"Thank you for your follow up email. What we can say at this moment is that we have no plan to open a Sizzler at Ubon Ratchathani in the near future.

For more info. please visit our website at www.sizzler.co.th

Best regards,

Sizzler,Thailand"

Edited by ubonrthai

Got this e-mail update from Sizzler.

"Thank you for your follow up email. What we can say at this moment is that we have no plan to open a Sizzler at Ubon Ratchathani in the near future.

For more info. please visit our website at www.sizzler.co.th

Best regards,

Sizzler,Thailand"

On behalf of The Sizzler Lovers of Ubon, I thank you for your efforts, albeit the stupid berks didn't listen to you. Now, how good are you at organising a Red-Shirt-style road block of Highway 231? dam_n you to hell Sizzler!

Been wondering where the new Robinson would go - thanks for the info.

I took a look at Office Depot, seems it is operated by Central Group in Thailand; and I also saw that Thai Watsadu is part of the Central Group - didn't know that.

Some new signs up at Central Plaza. I think Office Depot is a new store we haven't heard about and also Robinson will definitely be here.

post-103222-0-30650500-1342608759_thumb.

post-103222-0-39686800-1342608781_thumb.

post-103222-0-81516000-1342609057_thumb.

post-103222-0-07331900-1342609078_thumb.

Are they going to have two Robinson's in Ubon?

I read a BP Business Section article a while ago, and it stated that Robinson planned to open a second store in Ubon, so unless they change their mind in the meantime, it looks that way.

Some new signs up at Central Plaza. I think Office Depot is a new store we haven't heard about and also Robinson will definitely be here.

post-103222-0-30650500-1342608759_thumb.

post-103222-0-39686800-1342608781_thumb.

post-103222-0-81516000-1342609057_thumb.

post-103222-0-07331900-1342609078_thumb.

Are they going to have two Robinson's in Ubon?

I read a BP Business Section article a while ago, and it stated that Robinson planned to open a second store in Ubon, so unless they change their mind in the meantime, it looks that way.

I know for sure that Robinson will open in Central Plaza. Just like in Central Plaza Khon Kaen. Still, Robinson-Ying Yong have done well over the years, moving from the original Ying Yong down town up to the present site, and forming a partnership with Robinson about 1996. I don't think that Khun Paiboon of Ying Yong will worry too much as he has all the 7-eleven store franchises in southern Isaarn, including those at the PTT petrol stations.

I have also been informed that a water park (swimming pools etc) will be in the area somewhere.

Yesterday, on the way to the office at 7:30 am, I called into Thai Watsadu. The prices are so cheap. I was after good lawn sprinklers which I have not been able to purchase in Ubon for several years. The ones sold at Home Hub and Ubon Watsadu are hopeless. But at Thai Watsadu they had them for only 55 baht. I also bought a pair of hedge shears (Solo) for 450 baht. I think I paid 900 baht for my old one 15 years ago. How can Thai Watsudu make a profit at these prices?

But the biggest concern about the Central development is flooding. Where will the water go to when the jerks upcountry release water from the Ubon Rat dam into the Nam Pong river which flows into the Chi and into the Mun and the water from the Lao Paw Dam Kalisin which moves into the Chi and into the Mun?

The water will flood down town, moving up to Ave Maria school and also up to Huai Wang Nong. Pity the folks around Central. I remember meeting a friend 15 years ago who had just become manager of Land & House Isaarn. Land & House purchased the land where the private university "Ratchathani University" is now located. I told my friend that that area floods. No way he said. my Ubon souces say never floods. Well we all know what happened in 1978, 1986 and more recently in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Last year, 2011, was peanuts. Believe me.

I see "Ratchathani University" is building dykes around their campus. Good luck. You will need it.

Pity the poor folks in the Moo Baan just past Thai Watsadu to the left. Most people can not see from the road but a dirt track turns off to the left a few metres past Thai Watsadu and Kit Charoen warehouse. Drive in. A sorry sight. Used to be twenty or more good homes in there. Now only three standing. Also the temple further in there suffers from the flooding. That temple was the place which looked after the elephants when they were allowed to move through Ubon City at night. Thank goodness that was stopped.

Maybe this year flooding will not occur. But for sure it will flood BIG every ten years.

One last observation. I see land being raised on the right hand side of the road opposite Thai Watsudu. I wonder if an overhead U-Turn bridge is being planned like in Khon Kaen?

They even have a little test area for sprinklers at Thai Watsadu. The store is much cleaner and more organized then Do Home. Staff are more helpful too but maybe they are just excited about the new job.

I noticed the new dirt work today too. The trucks have been back in force the past 2 days.

I've heard so many people ask "where will the water go?"

Here's a pic of some ominous rain today over the construction site.

post-103222-134271006223_thumb.jpg

Edited by ubonrthai

They even have a little test area for sprinklers at Thai Watsadu. The store is much cleaner and more organized then Do Home. Staff are more helpful too but maybe they are just excited about the new job.

post-103222-134271006223_thumb.jpg

I thought Tai Watsadu was pretty decent too. An assistant came straight up to me and asked me in great English about everything I wanted and then sent each staff member from that department to assist me. He told me he used to be a translator in Oman before!

In DoHome the staff are really annoying and just act like commission vultures whenever I walk anywhere close to the kitchen or TV section. And being new Tai Watsadu had everything I asked for in stock. In DoHome at least 80% of things on show are "mai mii".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Folks in Ubon, such as readers of this site, seem to be excited or dreading the coming of Central Plaza to Ubon. Excited for those that want more shopping. Dreading for those fearing floods and massive traffic jams outside Benjamat school and the bypass road.

Two weeks ago I was in Sakon Nakhon. There a similar Central Plaza is being built on the road out of town that goes to Udorn (near the new bus station). But on this forum there is not one single mention of this huge development in Sakon Nakohn.

Is this because Ubon folks are more interested in shopping or more concerned about the environment or have idle time on their hands?

At least, when Ubon Cenral Plaza does open I won't have to drive. I will be within walking distance.

I have not heard that Central Plaza will come to Sakon Nakhon but Robinson is building a big center that will open july 2013

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hacksmith/8005651520/

This blog gives a lot of infos about Sakon Nakhon http://sakonnakhon-live.blogspot.no/

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...