Central Shopping Plaza Ubon

elwood

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I keep on hoping that Sizzler will appear in Ubon; maybe this time at the Central Plaza?

(Hope this doesn't start a flood of negative Sizzler comments, which would surely happen on the Pattaya or General forums!)

Its there, 3rd floor along with every sushi restaurant name in Thailand. Was there today and the experience wasn't really that bad. Sign entering states "No Double Parking", Well, double parking was everywhere. Both sides of the lane in the parking garage. Exiting was pretty uneventful except for the kilometer or so you have to travel to do a "U" turn to come back to town.

• 2 weeks later...

Not even close. Packed beyond belief. Give it another couple weeks and we'll have a better idea.

I'm happy with this mall. Has all the basic shops you could want and it's not a confusing building.

Edited by ubonrthai

Be careful on the ring road and doing u-turns. I've seen 5 accidents in one week out front. Witnessed a motorbike just miss getting hit and falling into the median. The other 4 I just came upon the emergency vehicles. 2 people died last night.

• 5 weeks later...

Mini bank branches on 3rd floor for about every bank there is.

Was there on a Saturday and it was a bit crowded but not that bad.

I was surprised though about how much business just about every restaurant had. Some were packed.

Must be sucking in footfall from a very large geographical area. I guess you would have to go 250k to find another collection of stores that are inter-walkable (I'm assuming Khon Khaen and Korat have similar). No doubt there will be lots of pai-theeow window shoppers for products but you can't too easily window shop food!

I saw a sign for "Ubon Aquarium" outside. Did I miss that? I hope that by aquarium they didn't mean that crappy fish pond in the mall with only 3 small windows in it.

I expect the fish will all die after all the kids,(thinking they need to feed the fish) throw their leftover food in the tank. Edited by jcb2001

I saw a sign for "Ubon Aquarium" outside. Did I miss that? I hope that by aquarium they didn't mean that crappy fish pond in the mall with only 3 small windows in it.

I expect the fish will all die after all the kids,(thinking they need to feed the fish) throw their leftover food in the tank.

There was a kid feeding the fish his leftover pretzel last night. They are doomed.

Tried to get money yesterday from the banks in central via western union. None of the banks have set up this option yet as it is a "new place" according to the staff.

Useful if you use WU money transfers. Avoid, at least for the time being.

:D

On Friday morning at Central at about 10:45 am, a lady friend wanted to do shopping at Tops. She went to park her car outside the nearest door to enter the Plaza to get into Toys so she wouldn't have to push her trolley too far.

The security guard told her that she had to park underneath. Central's policy he explained was to have all cars underneath and only when that was full, could cars park outside. She argued that this was an unreasonable policy and parking underneath was not convenient to push a trolley to the car. The security guard said he was only doing his job.

She had to park underneath.

I found this policy very strange and completely illogical.

One disappointing aspect about Central Plaza which is quite Western oriented, is that they do not have movies in English. Sunee no longer show movies with English soundtrack and I thought SF Cinema at Central would. There have been some good movies in the past 6 months and almost none in English.Posted Image

Agreed gutted.

When asking Central cinema people they said no plans in the near future for soundtrack movies. :(

She had to park underneath.

I parked underneath next to the escalator below Tops last night in case of rain. Pushed my cart to the elevator and right down to my car. One handed with a toddler in the other at that. Strange policy if true. I parked my motorbike the other day at 10:30 underneath next to the door to run up to a bank. They didn't like it when I came back but TIT.

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

One disappointing aspect about Central Plaza which is quite Western oriented, is that they do not have movies in English. Sunee no longer show movies with English soundtrack and I thought SF Cinema at Central would. There have been some good movies in the past 6 months and almost none in English.sad.png

I have only been to one movie in Ubon in my 18 years of living in here. That was at Nevada in 1998 I think. So I am no expert on sound-track movies in Ubon. But I am informed by Ubon High School students, that when a new movie comes to Ubon at SK, they show it in soundtrack for the first two days, thereafter, it is in Thai.

Perhaps Central has a similar policy?

Am I correct in saying that Ubon now has four movie theatres being Sunee, Nevada, SK and now Central. Surely, at least one of these places must have soundtrack.

In the old old days when I was young in Khon kaen and Udorn, theatres had sound-track rooms. Great sound but usually filled with mosquitoes.