elwood

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't find a website anymore about Central Plaza Ubon.

http://www.centralplaza.co.th/ubonratchathani/index

It doesn't look like their website has been updated lately. I find their Facebook page is more up to date with events & activities. But seems it's only in Thai.

https://www.facebook.com/CentralPlazaUbonratchathani?rf=474993242567649

It looks like their Mid Year Annual Sales is going on now until Aug4,2013.

I have just visited Central Plaza Ubon for the very first time. I found it a bit disappointing. Am I the only one to feel that way?? (Leave out the banks and the restaurants, and there isn't much left, is there?). Must admit, I didn't walk in into Robinson yet.

I have just visited Central Plaza Ubon for the very first time. I found it a bit disappointing. Am I the only one to feel that way?? (Leave out the banks and the restaurants, and there isn't much left, is there?). Must admit, I didn't walk in into Robinson yet.

Disappointing compared to what? Siam Paragon in BKK? Definitely. Compared to any of the "malls" in Ubon, I'd say it's way more upmarket than all of them and nice to haves shops I visit like JIB computers and AIIZ in one place. I found it funny watching all the little farmer couples walking round in their plaid shirts carry no shopping, looking clueless as to what they were supposed to be doing there.

I've also not been to Robinson's yet but Tops has a very good sushi station which is something we miss from Bangkok Tops.

The kid's play area is pretty good, as is the arcade. The food court wasn't though as everything we ordered from 3 different shops all had the same weird bitter taste. We've been to Sizzler three times already, which was something we were looking forward to!

I've still yet to shop in Powerbuy or go to the cinema, but nice to have them here when I need them.

I don't know what you were expecting for Ubon, but it meets my expectations. It's also handy being next to HomePro as it means I don't have to drive all over Ubon anymore to do the usual shopping, I can just go here and BigC and then go back home without almost hitting so many reckless people on scooters as usual.

I also like Central. So convenient for a person like myself who works. Three minutes from my house. Banks are open until about 8 pm. The phone shops are there. Tops is a nice size, in that I don't get lost. I can get my coffee beans from Central America at Starbucks. The little bread shop in front of Tops sells my sort of bread. Tops itself sells wine at about 200 baht/bottle more expensive than I can buy from my shop outside (same brand, same vintage). I find Robinson great. Already I have purchased several items of clothing. The sports shop has everything I want. The book shop the same. Food. I have eaten at Sizzler three times and each time the price has increased. Still I have gone back. The Japanese/Korean/thai food shops don't interest me.

It is the convenience of Central that I like. However, for eating out, restaurants in the city are superior. I will continue to go to Robinson/Ying Yong in the city because it is also convenient for me on Sundays.

Tops is good as it has an additional selection of food that cannot be found elsewhere in Ubon so far! biggrin.png

Edited by bergen
  • Like 2

Tops is good as it has an additional selection of food that cannot be found elsewhere in Ubon so far! biggrin.png

Marmite ? whistling.gif

I had a Bigmac, it was dreadful, went in Robinsons for a re-chargeable beard trimmer, near 5000bht w00t.gif (thats over 100 quid. I smiled, went to BigC and found one for 290 bht. thumbsup.gif That works great.

Save 28 baht (52 vs 80) per pack of filters for my coffee maker compared to Tesco.

It is a nice change to look for few different items than other places.

Disappointing compared to what? Siam Paragon in BKK? Definitely. Compared to any of the "malls" in Ubon, I'd say it's way more upmarket than all of them and nice to haves shops I visit like JIB computers and AIIZ in one place. I found it funny watching all the little farmer couples walking round in their plaid shirts carry no shopping, looking clueless as to what they were supposed to be doing there.

I've also not been to Robinson's yet but Tops has a very good sushi station which is something we miss from Bangkok Tops.

The kid's play area is pretty good, as is the arcade. The food court wasn't though as everything we ordered from 3 different shops all had the same weird bitter taste. We've been to Sizzler three times already, which was something we were looking forward to!

I've still yet to shop in Powerbuy or go to the cinema, but nice to have them here when I need them.

I don't know what you were expecting for Ubon, but it meets my expectations. It's also handy being next to HomePro as it means I don't have to drive all over Ubon anymore to do the usual shopping, I can just go here and BigC and then go back home without almost hitting so many reckless people on scooters as usual.

They are most likely experiencing a bad case of "sticker shock".

I must admit that when I was there, it kind of felt like I was back in my home country.

What about my Marmite ? Anyone found any, anywhere in Ubon. Please thumbsup.gif

Yeah we need a Villa Market in Ubon.

In the meantime you can always order Marmite and whatever else you are missing from this company; http://www.buntersfoodsbkk.com/order.html

125g for 170 baht is steep, but how much do you miss it?? Villa in BKK sell the 250g for 280 baht and I bought a few of them over the 3 months we were just there, I was pretty devastated when the bag broke and the first big jar I bought smashed on our condo reception floor!

• Like 1

What about my Marmite ? Anyone found any, anywhere in Ubon. Please thumbsup.gif

Yeah we need a Villa Market in Ubon.

In the meantime you can always order Marmite and whatever else you are missing from this company; http://www.buntersfoodsbkk.com/order.html

125g for 170 baht is steep, but how much do you miss it?? Villa in BKK sell the 250g for 280 baht and I bought a few of them over the 3 months we were just there, I was pretty devastated when the bag broke and the first big jar I bought smashed on our condo reception floor!

w00t.gif .

Thanks for the info. thumbsup.gif

^ no need to order - it is at central in Ubon already.

Where, still trying to communicate with the mrs about info here. Weeeeeeell, l am near to cutting my throat as l am still trying to get my PC fixed with the same crap communication via the mrs and the PC ''experts'' that require a holiday somewhere to fix it. I am in kill mode at present. w00t.gif I think I am joking, but.....................................whistling.gif .

Where, still trying to communicate with the mrs about info here. Weeeeeeell, l am near to cutting my throat as l am still trying to get my PC fixed with the same crap communication via the mrs and the PC ''experts'' that require a holiday somewhere to fix it. I am in kill mode at present. w00t.gif I think I am joking, but.....................................whistling.gif .

I found Marmite today!!

Tops, aisle 4, in among the various peanut butters. 250g for 289 baht. I think that is only 4 baht more than Villa in BKK.

Right, that's one check off the list. Now, any news on that Bangkok Hospital or the new International School??

Where, still trying to communicate with the mrs about info here. Weeeeeeell, l am near to cutting my throat as l am still trying to get my PC fixed with the same crap communication via the mrs and the PC ''experts'' that require a holiday somewhere to fix it. I am in kill mode at present. Posted Image I think I am joking, but.....................................Posted Image .

Do you take requests?

Does anyone know whether i can buy a prepaid telephone card at this centre ( the type with a pin number which i can use from a thai mobile phone to call overseas,

By the way, i still have'nt figured out how to start a new topic. if anyone can help, that would be great.

Does anyone know whether i can buy a prepaid telephone card at this centre ( the type with a pin number which i can use from a thai mobile phone to call overseas,

By the way, i still have'nt figured out how to start a new topic. if anyone can help, that would be great.

Go to the Isaan Forum main page, you should this on the right hand side -

Click this and you get -

Posting a New Topic in Isaan Forum

Bob's your uncle mate, away you go.

Yes, you can buy telephone cards at Tops Supermarket.

• 2 weeks later...

One disappointing aspect about Central Plaza which is quite Western oriented, is that they do not have movies in English. Sunee no longer show movies with English soundtrack and I thought SF Cinema at Central would. There have been some good movies in the past 6 months and almost none in English.sad.png

I went to the SF Cinema at Central Ubon today, found the whole experience superb. Extremely comfortable seats, perfect sound, AC not too cold, very professionally organised.

The one downside is that I have now been asked to grow a beard by my wife. The movie we saw was "Wolverine" and she said that with my shirt off I looked like Hugh Jackman.smile.png

One disappointing aspect about Central Plaza which is quite Western oriented, is that they do not have movies in English. Sunee no longer show movies with English soundtrack and I thought SF Cinema at Central would. There have been some good movies in the past 6 months and almost none in English.sad.png

I went to the SF Cinema at Central Ubon today, found the whole experience superb. Extremely comfortable seats, perfect sound, AC not too cold, very professionally organised.

The one downside is that I have now been asked to grow a beard by my wife. The movie we saw was "Wolverine" and she said that with my shirt off I looked like Hugh Jackman.smile.png

With English soundtrack??

With English soundtrack??

No mate; pretty basic Thai though, easily understood.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw "Yaem Yasothon 3" at Central today WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES!!!!.

Your respective wives, girlfriends, Mothers-in law, children will love it, had me in stitches.

Mum Jokmok is a genius; get amongst it!! Enjoy!!

Thanks for the information Patriot. I thought the first Yaem was very funny, second quite good; and I think Mum Jokmok is a very funny and talented performer.

I'll get there during the second week; hope they will still be showing some with sub-titles.

Elwood