Using Digital Flash Cards For Small Groups Of English Students

I've just started to teach English to groups of 1 to 5 children. I haven't got a colour printer as I rarely need it and go to my local Print Shop as and when. I don't want to get a laminating machine and thought that perhaps I could use digital flash cards, on say an Ipad or 7 inch tablet, which I have access to.

I'm interested to know of any experiences and especially what software comes in handy - Google Docs (Presentations), perhaps? I say this as I would probably need quick access to cards at various points in the sequence, instead of just 'Backwards and Forwards' arrows.

I personally haven't tried teaching with a tablet. But my experiences with Computer aided Teaching and preparation. is the old adage KISS Keep it simple.

3 ways to get images/teaching notes over quickly is to:

Edit images as required (plenty of software available). Captions, Names etc. Keep original images and save changes as a new file name.

Get all the images etc. together and make a PDF document. (Adobe Acrobat there is also free software available)

Put all the images etc. in a folder and rename the files using numbers & file info. Work out the sequence and use a image viewer to display.

If you have access to a TV (larger the better) & a DVD player (Thumbdrive preferable) Most have an image viewer program built in. Use the same method as above but putting the files on a CD/DVD or thumb drive.

My Acer A501 tablet has a HDMI connection for a TV which would make this quite simple .

Look forward to other responses.

I know I am stating the obvious but try it first before the lesson.

Edited by newcomer01

I agree with Newcomer01, Keep it simple. I am not sure which tablet u r using but I am sure you would be able to find something like powerpoint or a free alternative. I use powerpoint on my netbook with pictures which I get from google images and make my own electronic flashcards. I know of a company called Declan which allows you to make your own flashcards but it's not free. You can even share flashcards with other Declan users and download flashcards too. To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with making your own and they seem to work well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Good old Powerpoint works for me, you can make a pretty good quality presentation with that. Agree keep it simple too. Just have the pictures and text appear. If you do have an impact slide than by all means use the sound effects and explosions and whistles and bells for that.

I'm gonna have to agree there, don't make things over-complicated. Keep it simple. Although it might make your life easier with a tablet, in terms of learning experience, it might not be as good for the children. And with 'manual' cards, it's more interactive?

Visit the site listed below, you will find a wealth of material aimed at young learners starting with the flash card, following up with worksheets to reinforce your teaching input..

ideally you would be better served as would your students if you had a projector and linked to your computer and display the materials on a large wall screen.

Shopping around a decent projector and screen can be had for around 20,000 baht, failing that a printer with ink tanks should set you back around 5,000 baht.

I have and still do use the computer linked to projector system and it works well whatever lesson content you use. To make a go of it and indeed to be able to provide a decent level of lesson input and the resultant education and also a decent income for yourself you're going to have to, ' speculate to accumulate.'

http://www.mes-english.com/flashcards.php