How To Cook Tasty Tom Yum?

barefoot1988

anyone had any recipe? i am alittle lazy, anyone have any cheat recipe by mixing fresh spices with knorr tom yum cubes? i love those red tom yum rather than the clear version.

tried adding dried chilli, lemongrass etc but it always ended up tasting like mama tom yum

In 1991 I traveled through Thailand on a motorbike. I enjoyed it so much, that I returned in 1992. That year I met Liz. After she cooked a “Tom Yam Gung” for me, we stayed together. It is probably the most popular and well known soup from Thailand and considered the queen of Thai soups, and sometimes I call Liz the Queen of Tom Yam.

Liz’s version is the best!! You are more than welcome to come to Phuket and try for yourself.

ต้มยำกุ้ง

TOM YAM GUNG

(Hot and sour soup with lemon grass.)

Serves 4-6

1 pound prawns

4 cups chicken stock

3 stalks lemon grass, crushed, cut in 5 cm pieces

4 kaffir lime leaves, crushed

5 slices Thai ginger (not Chinese)

4 shallots crushed

200 gr mushrooms, halved or quartered

1/2 tbs fish sauce and/or a little salt (taste!)

½ tsp sugar

2 tbs lime juice (taste!)

½ cup coriander leaves

2 tbs chopped spring onions

4-10 hot red chilies , crushed

2 small tomatoes ( cut in 8/8)

1. Shell and devein the prawns.

2. Bring the chicken stock to the boil.

3. Add the lemongrass, kaffir leaves, ginger and shallots.

4. Boil gently for 5-6 minutes until fragrant.

5. Add the prawns and the mushrooms.

6. Cook until the prawns are pink.

7. Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, spring onions,

coriander leaves, chilies, tomatoes.

8. Serve

The Tom Yam should be sour, salty, spicy and hot

Do not overcook prawns!!!

Do not eat lemongrass, kaffir leaves, and ginger.

And yes, of course, it is served with a bowl of Thai Jasmin Rice.

If you substitute the prawns

- with chicken, it’s called Tom Yam Gai

- with fish, it’s called Tom Yam Pla

- with seafood, it’s called Tom Yam Taleh

The OP wants "the red one", which I assume means the one with coconut milk in it. Delicious enough without - but I do like the Chicken version, Thom Kha Gai, with coconut milk. If you must then add 250ml of coconut milk - half with the chicken stock at the start and half at the end. Do not reboil once the last bit of coconut milk is added or it will curdle - just let it heat back up to the point of boiling. Presumably Thais add some colouring to get the red colour; I've never bothered.

OP

Post 2 sounds close to what you are looking for. Dump the tomatoes, never been included in any tom yum I have had outside tourist areas. Dump the spring onion... again never had it outside tourist areas except for a light sprinkle of the green on top once it is finished. Coriander is also a garnish sprinkled on top when cooking is over. Don't use ginger, use galangal which has a completly different taste. There is also no need to use chicken stock or any other stock. Just use plain water and add around 1/2 tsp of tom yum paste which you would be hard pressed NOT to find at any local market. It is this paste which gives the soup a red tone.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

a good tom yum requires a lot of preparation and I am always surprised when a restaurant can bring it to the table within 20 minutes of it being ordered...

at home as with most dishes start with a simple recipe and then adjust as required to produce the dish that you like...I did this with soto ayam in indonesia as there are so many local variations...good fresh ingredients are important but getting the broth right is the big trick...just like tom yum...and yeah, ditch the ginger for the galangale...they are both totally different with this application...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a good tom yum requires a lot of preparation and I am always surprised when a restaurant can bring it to the table within 20 minutes of it being ordered...

at home as with most dishes start with a simple recipe and then adjust as required to produce the dish that you like...I did this with soto ayam in indonesia as there are so many local variations...good fresh ingredients are important but getting the broth right is the big trick...just like tom yum...and yeah, ditch the ginger for the galangale...they are both totally different with this application...

It doesn't take a lot of time! Prepare your chicken or shrimp broth first and you can save it in the fridge.

Tom yum for two:

Bring a quart of broth to a boil.

Add 1 tbs roasted chili paste.

Add sliced galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and straw mushrooms.

Add prawns and let simmer for a couple of minutes

Season to taste with sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, small Birdseye chili.

Add cut up tomatoes if you like.

Serve hot garnished with fresh coriander leaves and fried dried chili.

The above is Tom yum ( red ) soup.

If you like the creamy Tom yum, you add 1/4 cup heavy cream at the end. If you can't afford heavy cream, you can use carnation cream ( in a can ). Do not use coconut cream!!!!

There you go... Very simple! Bon appetite!

Good instructions guys. Have to add there are so many varieties of tom-yam it comes close to the number of shoes my ex wife has.

Cooking ingredient lists can be used as a help. But experience is very important as well.

Basic elements like timing, tasting during cooking, and of course personal input from the cook are things that have to be considered during the cooking and preparing process.

The most important ingredient for myself personally is that i use the ingredients i have in my house or where easiest available for me depending on where i am. Cook what i have around so to say.

To me this soup is in my top 3 of best meals in the world. I cook tomyam versions every week for the last 3 years now. Tomyam has become part of my life.

Edited by Dancealot

• 1 month later...

05] In 1991 I traveled through Thailand on a motorbike. I enjoyed it so much, that I returned in 1992. That year I met Liz. After she cooked a “Tom Yam Gung” for me, we stayed together. It is probably the most popular and well known soup from Thailand and considered the queen of Thai soups, and sometimes I call Liz the Queen of Tom Yam.

05]Liz’s version is the best!! You are more than welcome to come to Phuket and try for yourself.

05]ต้มยำกุ้ง

05]TOM YAM GUNG

05](Hot and sour soup with lemon grass.)

05]Serves 4-6

05]1 pound prawns

05]4 cups chicken stock

05]3 stalks lemon grass, crushed, cut in 5 cm pieces

05]4 kaffir lime leaves, crushed

05]5 slices Thai ginger (not Chinese)

05]4 shallots crushed

05]200 gr mushrooms, halved or quartered

05]1/2 tbs fish sauce and/or a little salt (taste!)

05]½ tsp sugar

05]2 tbs lime juice (taste!)

05]½ cup coriander leaves

05]2 tbs chopped spring onions

05]4-10 hot red chilies , crushed

05]2 small tomatoes ( cut in 8/8)

05]1. Shell and devein the prawns.

05]2. Bring the chicken stock to the boil.

05]3. Add the lemongrass, kaffir leaves, ginger and shallots.

05]4. Boil gently for 5-6 minutes until fragrant.

05]5. Add the prawns and the mushrooms.

05]6. Cook until the prawns are pink.

05]7. Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, spring onions,

05] coriander leaves, chilies, tomatoes.

05]8. Serve

05]The Tom Yam should be sour, salty, spicy and hot

05]Do not overcook prawns!!!

05]Do not eat lemongrass, kaffir leaves, and ginger.

05]And yes, of course, it is served with a bowl of Thai Jasmin Rice.

05]If you substitute the prawns

05]- with chicken, it’s called Tom Yam Gai

05]- with fish, it’s called Tom Yam Pla

05]- with seafood, it’s called Tom Yam Taleh

omg thanks so much!

• 6 years later...

Hi! Here is my favourite Tom Yum recipe:

Ingridients:

• 1 quart low sodium organic chicken broth
  • 2 stalks lemongrass
  • 1 inch peeled galangal or ginger root, sliced
  • 3 wild lime leaves
  • 1 tomato cut into wedges
  • 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, washed and cut
  • 1/2 pound de-veined shrimp
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
  • 1 lime juiced
  • 2 chilies, stemmed, seeded and chopped
  • 4 tablespoons cilantro leaves, chopped

Steps:

•  Step 1

Bring the chicken broth with added 2 cups of water to a boil over medium heat. Add galangal( or ginger) root, lemongrass and lime leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low, add the tomatoes and mushrooms then simmer about 4 minutes.

•  Step 2

Place lime juice, minced chillies and cilantro leaves into a serving bowl

•  Step 3

Add the shrimp or (cooked chicken) and cook until pink about 2 minutes

•  Step 4

Stir in the fish sauce and chili-garlic sauce. Pour the soup into the bowls and serve

This recipe I took from here: tom yum soup Enjoy)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'd even speculate that most places would use the local red curry paste dissolved in coconut milk as a base (like most other thai 'gaengs' that use the red paste) then toss in the lemon grass and galangal that both give the tom yum it's distinctive flavor and simmer a bit then add the shrimp and other ingredients like mushrooms, etc and simmer...toss in the garnishes at the end like cilantro, limes and a splash of fish sauce then serve...

gonna havta try that meself one ob dese days...tutsi's quick and easy falang tom yum goong...('hey, I never thought of that...' 'well, you know, them falangs have all been to college...'

• 2 months later...