Were They Open Today

As I understand, it is the other way round.

If a holiday falls on a Saturday those who usually work on Saturdays are off that day.

Those who usually do not work on Saturdays get the substitution on the next working day.

Yes Axel that's what I said (the first bit anyway). We were closed Saturday so the people that work Saturday got a day off. I work Sunday and thus didn't get any time off (but then more holidays seem to fall on a Sunday). Not sure legally what the score is though.

Got up Monday morning, did my normal ritual - shower, coffee, dress. Took off and arrived at Chiangmai University to find hardly a sole in sight. So yes, it was closed. Everybody usually reminds me when there is a holiday because the number of times I went to work when it was closed. :o Frustrating.

'twas a national holiday  :o

Thanks everone,but Istill don`t know "yes"or"no"The name of the University I have since found out is called"Ratmun khun"in Surin,thats the nearest to the name I can come up with.You are probably wondering why I want to know,well,someone told me they had gone to University on that day,me thinking the party had gone to work,wrong,when I arrived there,not at work,they were closed for the day,all kids were walking about,not uniformed.In England all universities close on public holidays,but this is Thailand so I don`t want to make any false accusations,The simple answer would be to phone but I can`t speak much"nit noi"Thai.

As it doesn't appear anyone here works there, and pretty much every university is its own kingdom, you're going to have to go direct with your inquiry (or get a Thai to do it for you). I doubt that something as vague as whether the university is officially open or not gives you much grounds for any kind of accusations about whatever, but I will say this: in Thailand, if something seems fishy, it probably IS fishy.

"Steven"