Getting To Buriram

Lourens

I'll be arriving on December 30 at 12:00 noon. Just 15 minutes too late for the express train to Buriram. BPair is flying to Buriram now but only the next day. They don't fly every day. There is NO WAY I'm taking the bus again and I don't want to wait for the next 3rd class train. That only arrives in Buriram late at night and is very uncomfortable after a long flight.

My only other option seems to be taking a taxi. Is it worth it? And how much should I expect to pay? And then, just for fun, has anybody ever chartered a plane or helicopter?

I'll be arriving on December 30 at 12:00 noon. Just 15 minutes too late for the express train to Buriram. BPair is flying to Buriram now but only the next day. They don't fly every day. There is NO WAY I'm taking the bus again and I don't want to wait for the next 3rd class train. That only arrives in Buriram late at night and is very uncomfortable after a long flight.

My only other option seems to be taking a taxi. Is it worth it? And how much should I expect to pay? And then, just for fun, has anybody ever chartered a plane or helicopter?

Taxi to Buriram will cost you about 4,000-5,000 from the airport. Downtown BKK you might get one for around 3,000/3,500. I don't think Thailand allows private charter of aircraft. In fact as far as I know it does not allow any type of private aircraft.

Thanks mate. I just don't want to get ripped off. Especially so close to the New Year.

Yes, come to think of it, I've never seen any private planes around these parts. But in Hua Hin (Cha-Am?), you could do a course for a private pilots' licence. And I've also seen an office in the domestic terminal at Don Muang where you can charter a helicopter. This was some time ago and it might not be there anymore. Didn't pay much attention at the time.

Thanks mate. I just don't want to get ripped off. Especially so close to the New Year.

Yes, come to think of it, I've never seen any private planes around these parts. But in Hua Hin (Cha-Am?), you could do a course for a private pilots' licence. And I've also seen an office in the domestic terminal at Don Muang where you can charter a helicopter. This was some time ago and it might not be there anymore. Didn't pay much attention at the time.

Hi Chris Mate,

I always get a taxi and i always pay around 3750 baht to 4500 baht that is out of bangkok, Landmark Hotel, straight to the door at my place, i used to pay a taxi guy 3750 but now he has gone down to Pattaya to work, he was working outside the grace hotel for years, and i have used him for the past 10 years, now i have to pay the going rates, about 4500 baht. may see you Jan-Feb.

Thanks for that. Yes, for sure me and Geoff will have one or maybe two Changs. You still owe me a visit from the last time. How did the sale of your bussines go? We can have a nice long chat about that. Good luck and see y'all soon.

Whats wrong with the buses?

Is the taxi worth it? Depends how much money you have. But around 40 quid for 230 miles is probably the cheapest in the world. Go to departures floor and haggle. You'll get one for 3000 baht, easy. A fortune for them even allowing for petrol/deilsel price hikes.

Go to departures floor and haggle. You'll get one for 3000 baht, easy.

Just a point here. If you are taking a taxi from departures (or anywhere else for that matter) in the afternoon, check the driver's eyes carefully. He will have a five hour drive in front of him and may have already been working since 05:00 am. You wouldn't want him falling asleep on you!

Thanks for the good advice guys. I know all about getting myself a fresh driver. That's why I would rather get myself a driver from downstairs. There are hundreds to choose from and I'm sure the competition will be high for that kind of fare.

Busses are evil! :o

I have to get to Buriram first, don't I? Anyway, money is no object here. I might just go and rent a Benz for a couple of weeks. I still have a valid Thai drivers licence. Or I could just get myself a driver and pay him to drive me. Or better yet, I'll just ship my limo over a week or so ahead of me and then I can have my man servant meet me. Or, why didn't I think of this before, I can get my own private plane and pilot and have him fly me right into Buriram airport!! Or I could just build myself a teletransporter and beam myself right into my livingroom in an instant.

OH GAWD, I NEED A HOLIDAY :o