Bt50 Million To Be Used To Buy iPads And iPhones For Senators And MPs

webfact

A bit expensive

700 x Iphones at approx 26,000 is under 20,000,000 baht, and Ipads are not that expensive

so where is the rest of the money going?

Judging from recent news stories, it's going on whiskey!

Seriously though, it might be money well spent if it helps keep MPs off the sauce.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit expensive

700 x Iphones at approx 26,000 is under 20,000,000 baht, and Ipads are not that expensive

Judging from recent news stories, it's going on whiskey!

Seriously though, it might be money well spent if it helps keep MPs off the sauce.

Angry, drunk birds?

Hmmmmm.... so the 'provide schoolchildren with quality computer tablets' plan somehow morphs into the 'provide MPs with quality computer tablets' plan. How.... surprising and atypical.

I think it's give the kids a functional tablet, the MPs get super quality tablets and phones.

Not surprising and typical of governments around the world.

I'm sure the extra 10 million was for base 3G service for both. Extra phone charges will come from some government budget somewhere.. Flood relief?

In this case the money for kids laptops is a terrible idea. The money should be spent elsewhere. Check out this very interesting article written by and excellent and experienced professor at Georgetown U. http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2008/10/why-i-ban-laptops-in-my-classroom/ and you'll surely agree that the money could be far better spent. Still, it's hard to imagine that those...guys...don't already own Ipad 2's.

A bit expensive

they probably come with a phone plan contract for 20 years

Iphone 4S costs from 20,900 to 28,900

Ipad 2 costs from 15,900 to 25, 900

using the top prices by 700 still gives under 40 million, so where is the other 10 million going?

And that's not taking account of any bulk discount.

I know you were asking the question for fun.

Hello I know one Apple Executive and can find out what was going on??? Actually Apple Rep will automatically give a discount for buying so many items from the company..

We need Money for the Flood compensation so badly and it is my take and opinion...thanks so much for posting...

Is it April 1st?

Crosses my mind that Thailand can no longer be considered a poor country if the government have decided to award themselves rich peoples toys like iphones and ipads? Can't imagine there are Thais out there living without electricity, clean water supply or a hygenic/modern bathroom?

Is it April 1st?

Crosses my mind that Thailand can no longer be considered a poor country if the government have decided to award themselves rich peoples toys like iphones and ipads? Can't imagine there are Thais out there living without electricity, clean water supply or a hygenic/modern bathroom?

Despite the promises of Mr Happy Toilet

I wonder why they don't spend this money on the homeless and beggars in Bangkok. The flood victims would especially appreciate it, as they have already faced all kinds of problems with getting government assistance. I am positive PMs can afford their own personal iPad and iPhone if they really want one. Where is the real need for this money to be spent?

I think it is a good idea. In the US they used to do blackberry. I think iPads and iPhones are a much better idea for government.

If used properly, it can make communication easier. They can also get work done on the go. Reply to emails, edit documents, work in reminders and set up meetings and calendar events, etc etc without being stuck to a computer. All this stuff will sync with iCloud automatically.

It's the 21st century. Get used to it.

I wonder why they don't spend this money on the homeless and beggars in Bangkok. The flood victims would especially appreciate it, as they have already faced all kinds of problems with getting government assistance. I am positive PMs can afford their own personal iPad and iPhone if they really want one. Where is the real need for this money to be spent?

Every department has a budget. This is the ICT ministry.

What are you going to do with 50 million baht for the flood victims? If you divide 50 million baht by the number of affected people, how much would each person get?

Each issue has a different solution. There's a budget for ICT. There's a budget for the people who are handling floods and getting Thailand better equipped to deal with floods. You can find many articles dealing with this and how Thailand is spending money to get Thailand ready for the rainy season this year.

They'll also spend almost 2 billion baht in tablets for kids. Great idea, but it won't be handled properly because the teachers aren't equipped to understand how to use this technology in the classroom.

But be that as it may, this is an Education Ministry budget. It has nothing to do with floods and beggars.

And there are plenty of beggars in the USA as well. Have you ever driven to Los Angeles on the 10 freeway? Look under every underpass when you're approaching the city. There's another city under the roads.

Edited by thaicruze

Is it April 1st?

Please. Give me a break. Like Thailand is the first country to do this. It's not like they're giving themselves a Ferrari each. It's just an iPhone.

There are people in the USA also living without anything. In tents. With advanced degrees.

1.6 million dollars isn't a lot for any country. Even a poor one.

650 million is a lot. But again, this is an education budget. There are hundreds of millions being spent in other things.

Before you criticize, why don't YOU try running a country? Let's see how well you do.

Thailand is very corrupt and far from perfect, but the attitude by expats no less, taken towards Thailand and bad mouthing every single thing they do is obnoxious. If you really hate this country that much, I'll call you a taxi to take you right back to the airport.

Change isn't easy or fast. For an Asian country, Thailand has come a long way. It'll take the better part of the next 100 years for the future generations to change the status quo.

Remember, it wasn't that long ago we were hanging black people from trees in the USA.

• Like 1

LOL! Has anyone EVER taken a look at what Thais (even "professionals") actually do with IPhones and iPads? Productivity apps? NOT!

This is nothing more than a grab for a status symbol video game and Facebook platform! If they are serious, they would get Androids so their IT could support and develop for a single low-cost and open OS.

POLITICS

Plan to give MPs iPADs and smart phones comes under fire

The Nation

30177323-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A government plan to give MPs and senators Tablet PCs and smart phones have been heavily criticised by social media users and some parliamentarians.

Senator Rosana Tositrakul, was one who opposes the idea. "Our country already has much debt so we should save the money," she said.

Rosana said the notebook computer that MPs and senators get should be enough for their work. "No need for tablets or mobile phones."

Deputy Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanij revealed the plan to buy tablet computers for senators and MPs to a Senate committee last Wednesday and the meeting had no comment on it, Rosana said. She is a member of the Senate panel on preventing corruption and promoting good governance.

On Twitter, many users questioned whether the parliamentarians will utilise the devices.

@paenewfolder said: "I think it is more or less surely about commission. Are (the gadgets) necessary for them? No. But they will take them if they are given. But what they are going to use the gadget for?"

@Bodee said: "It is important who started this, and what the prime minister thinks about it. The public should now."

@kidousenshi posted: "What kind of an iPhone costs over Bt70,000? NACC should investigate."

Deputy House Speaker Charoen Jankomol yesterday confirmed the Bt50-million plan, saying that with such a budget they could purchase handsets and licensed programmes. Some 700 sets of equipment would be procured and the next step was to identify equipment specifications.

Tablets and smart phones would be provided to MPs, senators and senior officers of the Parliament (director level and upper).

Charoen said earlier the Parliament secretariat had identified the "best" available equipment.

Democrat MP Boonyod Suktinthai, a member of the House Affairs committee, said the panel had not officially discussed the issue but there had been talk that a survey should be conducted to learn about parliamentarians' needs and necessities.

He explained that the House Speaker had authority to decide what to do with funds remaining from last year. In this case, Deputy House Speaker Charoen was in charge of the project.

Boonyod said he only knew about plans to give out iPad tablet PCs, but not iPhones as well.

"Some MPs are used to the laptop they are using, and they don't want to learn to use the touch screen. I still see some MPs carrying the Toshiba laptops nowadays," he said.

Boonyod was referring to Toshiba laptops bought by the Parliament and given to the previous group of House MPs to work on. They signed forms noting that they had been given the laptops on loan and some were still using them.

Meanwhile, some new MPs had received Lenovo laptops, allegedly donated by the Chinese government, instead of Toshiba laptops, which some former MPs had failed to return to the Parliament.

Boonyod gave an example of the air-card Internet-connection device that Parliament provided to MPs, as a problem in the past. While many members did not use it, Parliament needed to pay a monthly fee for this.

However, Boonyod said he did not think any MP would complain if they were given iPADs or tablets.

"It is human nature. When something is given for free, we accept without complaining. If any MP doesn’t use it, (he or she) can let their secretary or assistant use it. MPs won't complain about getting free items. They will complain only if they don't get it or they don't get it equally to what other MPs get."

Boonyod said a concern was that Parliament might buy the products at higher prices than it should pay. And applications would make the cost more, so applications should be provided only if necessary.

Government chief whip Udomdej Ratanasathien said the project was Parliament's plan for human resource development and to use the equipment for communication and coordination. It was no problem that some parliamentarians already had such equipment as it was for the welfare of MPs and he believed they would utilise it to some extent.

A key Pheu Thai member, who asked not to be named, said that in the latter period of the Abhisit Vejjajiva government, Pheu Thai Party gave each MP an iPhone 4 handset so they could talk to former premier Thaksin Shinawatra via Skype - so they could see each other's faces and hear their voices. Thaksin also had phone numbers of all MPs and followed their popularity.

The giving away of mobile phones was due to thinking about the next election, he said. Many MPs were not familiar with the use of smart phone or learning new programmes. They asked their children to teach them how to use them and thought it was their burden having to carry another phone besides their own.

Bangkok Council chairman Suthichai Weerakulsoonthorn, meanwhile, said yesterday the council also planned to give Tablet PC to its members, so they can receive complaints from people via Facebook and email. The council would use its own budget, as Tablet PCs were no longer very costly. He insisted the project would happen.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-06

Iphone 4S costs from 20,900 to 28,900

Ipad 2 costs from 15,900 to 25, 900

using the top prices by 700 still gives under 40 million, so where is the other 10 million going?

Buying bulk should be considerably cheaper than retail.

First thing I did this morning was reach for a calculator to estimate how much of the 50 million would go towards the standard bribe in this sort of transaction. First thing a Thai would do is say "ipad nah,I like it too...what's for breakfast?"

invest in traffic radar instead to save children......

I asked a guy to stop speeding in or village once. He decided he wanted to kick my A#@. He said I asked him to loud, I guess he thought he could hear me over his roaring engine at a normal tone.

Long story short the motorcycle taxis showed up with the police in Tow, only to inform me that because I asked him to slow down the fight was my fault. That we were not supposed to tell others how to drive even if your children are at risk of being killled. What I am getting at is that the radars wouldn't work.. as we are not allowerd to tell people to slow down.

sounds like bs to me. I think it's because your a foreigner and he's a native Thai, probably with a high status in the local society. I don't know your complete situation and don't want to cause you any trouble so think it through on your own, but if it were me I'd risk being at fault for the safety of my family.

YES, the math does not work out, since you and I can buy them for half the price the government is paying, or supposedly paying, but considering the fact that the government is one of the most corrupt in the world, those of you who ask where is all the money going, just need to think about it and you soon realize that it is going into the pockets of the government employees. Not too difficult to figure out.

The thai government seems to be not the only one that equips their Mop's with Ipads and such. (What is kind of funny in the case of India, as they introduced the OLPC and OTPC projects)

I guess that conservative minds work slowly, they just noticed that these devices exist and yet have to notice that it will not increase their productivity.

I think it is a good idea. In the US they used to do blackberry. I think iPads and iPhones are a much better idea for government.

If used properly, it can make communication easier. They can also get work done on the go. Reply to emails, edit documents, work in reminders and set up meetings and calendar events, etc etc without being stuck to a computer. All this stuff will sync with iCloud automatically.

It's the 21st century. Get used to it.

They already have laptop computers supplied by the state. this is just opportunistic. if they want to be MORE mobile they should buy it themselves. just like most other people do.

• Like 2

IPads are very difficult to use when your drunk. I've tried. The win 7 model after 6 pints seems to work better, maybe i knew the operating system better. But definitely go with the win 7 model because when win 8 arrives it is supposed to make them better than iPads, so in conclusion, for this lot i would recommend the win 7 model as it makes for a flat surface( abit bigger) to place tasty beverages and the screen seems more reactive to fat greedy little fingers.

<deleted> people Help the poor and the flooded, dont give yourselfs toys and throw parties,obvious. Idiots. Maybe get the lady that screams "ALKEEHAW ALKEEHAW to yell something about waste of resources! The one with the ear infection with a C in his name would love that! IMO

I think its a great idea.

Now they can log into Thai Visa and really see how idiotic they look!

If only, but the problem is, like our illustrious leader, Yingluck, they don't read or speak English. At least very well. I'm guessing here, that if they did log into TV, they would do what they said at the ASEAN meeting, ask everyone to read and speak Thai. I mean after all, Thai's are the chosen race, right?