Wedding In Khon Kaen Province - Farang Bride

moscow5

Hello,

my fiance and i are getting married in april and it will be in his hometown - a small village outside khon kaen. HELP!! i'm farang and i'm not quite sure what to expect - or what to tell my family and friends who are coming w/me what to expect.

does the bride pay anything sort of dowry-ish or money to the groom's family?

does the bride give a gift to the groom's family?

should my family give a gift to his father (his mother is deceased)?

what are isaan ceremonies like? and would my parents be involved in the ceremony?

any suggestions on bridal attire and where to get it? am thinking i should wait until i'm in korat or khon kaen city, but any suggestions on where to go?

sorry for the 20 questions - my family and friends are coming a long way for us, as are his and our friends in thailand (we are SO lucky) and i'm trying to start preparing them for what to expect.

thanks a lot!!!

There's so much for you to find out that I wouldn't know where to start.

I assume that you are willing to have the full Isaan ceremony. Begin by searching the topics on this Forum about Thai weddings and also ask your husband-to-be to tell you what he can.

After that, come back with what you have found out and some questions and you'll get plenty of help.

In the meantime, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Answers to questions 1 & 2 are a resounding NO. Question 3 --doesn't hurt, they can bring something nice but not too expensive. Something difficult to find in Thailand is always good. Or something famous from where you live.

Like the others said use the search about thai wedding ceremony first,

and if you still have any questions just get back on this topic.

One thing is for sure that thai´s doesn´t asume that farang

does everything like they do (ceremonies,etc..) and of course

your bride will quide you throw this horroble act LOL!

Best of luck for both of you!

thanks for the posts and sbk, thanks again for your advice and for being so clear. part of the reason why i posted here was because all i could find in the forums (including this one) were posts regarding dowries (and other issues) from the farang male POV, so i wasn't sure if i should worry about a dowry as well. my fiance said "no" but i wanted to ask anyway.

my fiance is talking to his friends and family about what my and my family's role should be, given that we're farangs, and i thought i'd try to be a little proactive and educate myself while i wait to hear what he finds out.

at this point i guess the big ? would be what my parents could do as part of the ceremony and if anyone knows about where to go for traditional thai bridal clothing.

as always, any info's much appreciated and in the end it'll all go well, i know. his family's been so great to me and i know will give a lot of leeway (as they always did with me!)with my family and friends who are even more unfamiliar with thai culture! :o

I photographed my brother-in-laws wedding and a wedding somewhere in Issan and I will search my files to see if I can find a good photo of the wedding dress. Well, the reception are much like western style receptions only better. My brother in law had a reception at a nice outdoor resturant and after that was over we went to his parents house for more food and drinks.

Must of have given all the negatives and prints to my brother-in-law, but found some photos I took in 1981 while passing through Issan. I like how the father of the bride is pouring a drink while the wedding is going on.

If you need a photographer for your wedding let me know.

Go to the Roma Hotel in Khon Kaen. About 60 feet from the entrance is a shop. The young lady makes clothes and will certainly make you an appropriate silk outfit. Answers about the wedding ceremony can only come from people who live in the village because they will plan and execute the day no matter what you do. Chok dee.

i have a pic of me in a wedding dress from ban chiang (udon thani in issaan).... i modelled it for the village and the woman wanted me printed up big to attract more customers (go figure since i'm no beauty but am a slim farang woman) she's a seamstress and actually had beautiful things, she makes to order but it is far from where u are (khorat etc).... i can email u the pic (dont know how to put it in the forum etc....) she rents them out and customizes to each person...

Howdy moskow5,

I will try to attach 2 photos, the red is a Thai style dress and the other is a Issan style.My wife used the Thai style in the morning ceremony and the white in the actual wedding ceremony after the morning ceremony.You do not have to use two dress though one will do.It is important to use the white dress if you will have the pouring of "blessed"water and tying of string around your wrist,for good luck.The wedding dress's should match the grooms suit.If you would like more info on a traditional Issan wedding PM me.The wife and I can give you some info.

Chok Dee!!!!!!!!!!! :o

post-14263-1134592535_thumb.jpg

post-14263-1134592561_thumb.jpg

Hello,

my fiance and i are getting married in april and it will be in his hometown - a small village outside khon kaen. HELP!! i'm farang and i'm not quite sure what to expect - or what to tell my family and friends who are coming w/me what to expect.

what are isaan ceremonies like? and would my parents be involved in the ceremony?

any suggestions on bridal attire and where to get it? am thinking i should wait until i'm in korat or khon kaen city, but any suggestions on where to go?

sorry for the 20 questions - my family and friends are coming a long way for us, as are his and our friends in thailand (we are SO lucky) and i'm trying to start preparing them for what to expect.

thanks a lot!!!

Tell him there is a dowry !

Oh´sorry i didn´t take a closer view about the topic " farang bride "

( not an ordinary question )

Q: does the bride pay anything sort of dowry-ish or money to the groom's family?

A: If you mean the " sin sot " it´s allways mans (farang or thai) headech.

So you should not handle any money what so ever.

But the gift´s are wellcome in any cultures i thing :o

Being a Th-Chinese ...not issaan girl ..live here for 32 yrs

no ..girl does not pay for dowry ..guy have to pay :D (goodluck .. TIT not india.. :o )

no need ... but if you just wanna please them .. you can

accually they'd give u a present(or 2) :D

• 1 month later...

Congratulations!

I also get married in Issan to a beautiful thai boy in May, the 6th month of the old thai calendar.

1)I have been reading up on the ceremony and obviously have quizzed him on stuff, what I thought i would ask about was the dowry....is it only a financially important thing to care for the future life of the two getting married or is there a luck and prosperous thing attached to it as well?

I ask as his parents are farmers have a very young son and are not so young themselves and as much as they will help us and take care of us in terms of support and being free to live in their house for them to help out in the looking after our future child and so on...have very little money and we are actually putting in to the ceremony ourselves and I had sort of assumed that a dowry wouldn't part of the whole bargain!! OK I expect a present as I know his mum has been asking what to get, but feel as a girl who's western and therefore equal to a boy that we can take on the responsibility of marrying ourselves, if it's a future luck thing though I want one......................sorry I type fast and can say alot very quickly, and have very few people to talk to in english about this so it sort of flows out of my fingers!

2)also before i read on the ceremony i said that i wouldn't wear white as i felt it to be a little bit of lie as i am not marrying as a virgin! but again is this really essential? as obviously want to do everything properly.

and 3) in terms of foreign ladies and gents attending is there any particular clothing requirements for guests? i've said conservastism is good and because we will be going to the watt obviously under the knee, shoulders covered, no huge cleavages showing and so on....but is there anything specific, bad colours or so on??

thank you all. and congrats on your upcoming marraige!!!!!!! hope you enjoy it.....you're getting married after songkran??