True 3G(+) Finally In Chumphon Area

4evermaat

I saw a mini billboard outside CAT CDMA office in Chumphon Town and I verified at the TrueMove office in Tesco that Pathio (Sapli/Thung Wua Laen beach) and the Town have service. I'm not sure about some of the other nearby towns. I didn't ask, but the representative flipped through a booklet showing which towns "should" have service.

Has anyone tested it out yet?

Not sure if this is supposed to eventually replace CAT CDMA service in the future. I hope not. With a few exceptions, CAT has been solid for me here, and it is unlimited. But good to know there is other options. I'm really hoping that AIS will setup shop in the near future.

I didn't grab a pamphlet of prices, and surprised they didn't hand me one. Maybe there are promotions.

edit: I saw a samsung galaxy mini on sale in the truemove shop for 5000. So clearly there is a version that has 850/2100 3g band? That would make a good wifi device. If they have the LG optimus me for 3500-4000, that would work too. As long as it has android 2.2 or higher, which they should.

Edited by 4evermaat

http://www.mybycat.com/area.php?id=30

http://www.truemove-h.com/en//3gwifi_network_coverage.aspx

The CAT/TrueMove H network (one in the same) does seem to have pretty good coverage in Meuang Chumpon, but maybe a few ‘holes’?

You should contact CAT to see what plans they may have for ending the CDMA service?

TOT does not appear to have any towers even close to that area.

Not sure what AIS's plans are there as no TOT to roam onto?

post-9615-0-31488800-1331094305_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-50931600-1331094317_thumb.jp

My prevuous Truemove sim card expired, so i was forced to pick up a new sim card, which is truemove H/3G+ 99 baht for prepaid sim at the truemove shop in tesco 2nd floor. Current promotion is free 100mb/3hr wifi when you activate sim.

Other observations:

- In the actual truemove shop, I could connect and I got a weaker 3g signal. The connection kept cutting out, but in the interest of time I polietly left. If you bring your laptop, they will help you setup your apn settings if you have an older true datacard. I think it is the same anyway, but the profile name is "True H" Is the topup cards for truemove will work for truemove H?

- The connection software label for the type of current connection will actually say "WCDMA True-H", "HSPA True-H", etc, Is the "H" making any difference? If trueMove and trueMove-H are two separate networks, can i roam freely on existing truemove towers?

- The net sim card itself appears to be a regular sim with perforations along some of the plastic to convert it into a microsim if you have an iPhone or device that uses microSim.

- rep in shop said 60 day validity for the sim card once used. I asked if I can get 1 year, she said 60 day was limit. Can anyone confirm a method for extending the validity of the sim card beyond 60 days?

- The sim card logo specifically says Truemove H (3G+) and below that in smaller letters 'A CAT Reseller'.

- Have not confirmed with CAT CDMA if/when Truemove H will replace the CDMA service. I hope not.

- Getting a strong signal (3-4 bars, no usb extension cord) in Saphli area near the beach. Will start testing more over the next week or so in different areas of the house, etc, The tot speedtest is shockingly slow. 1.1-1.8 Mbps down and 2Mbps up. surprised at the Upload speed a bit.

- the unlimited plans start at 759 baht monthly for 3GB fair use cap before they throttle the speed to 384 Kbps. 899 gets you 5Gb and 1699 gets 10gb fair use cap. Not sure if those prices include VAT. Before with trueMove, they didn't.

Ok, I found out that the unlimited plan went up from 759 to 799 bt (855 with VAT), so that is why I kept getting an insufficient funds message. But *9000 definetly was not working to check/add new package (I could not access the menus for 30 day or monthly.

I do not know the SMS codes to send SMS to true and get balances, check promotion, etc. I believe the phone dial service code is #123# (or call 9302) for account balance and validity date. To check your free promotion and package internet balance, *900#. you should get 2 SMSs within about 3 min of each other. The first SMS with internet promotion balance (MB and WIFI) and when it expires.....

post-109486-0-78816000-1331800450_thumb.

.....the second SMS has details on your current internet monthly package amount and how much data you have used so far.

post-109486-0-55312300-1331800449_thumb.

The SMS are in thai, but you can get the jist of the message by the way it is formatted. One observation is that when you add a monthly package, it starts to use MB volume from the monthly package FIRST. I am unsure when the free stuff will be made available again. I'm guessing if/when you cancel the layered monthly package?

*902# to request WIFI password sent SMS.

*935# to request base sim internet rate (rates without any layered packages) sent SMS.

post-109486-0-38790400-1331798533_thumb.

*933# or dial 9303

You can also request these balances (or some of them) through *9000 menu. Many of the SMS are in Thai.

A couple of other service codes while I am bored:

Turn internet on: *902*1#

Turn internet off: *902*2#

Top up to friend: *123 * [14 digit top up card #] * [10 digit truemove #]

Change base rate promotion: 9305

Change language: 9304 (many SMS will still be in Thai anyway, but some of the voice menus may default to english)

iService *877# The service menu is in thai. Maybe there is some features that can be changed here.

Call center 1331 (3bt/call from any true sim). This is great as I spent about 40 min when I called before (although we disconnected, the rep called back thankfully)

Self service *9399 (1bt/call). I'm not sure how this differs from *9000 which is free.

I noticed a jump in download speed on the speedtest. I was reading online somewhere that the free MB that comes with the sim card the download speed is limited to 1 Mbps down, which seemed kind of dumb seeing as the company would want people to test how fast their product is which would encourage a purchase of a higher package. On the paid package, the upload speedtests are getting 2-3Mbps and download is 2-3Mbps.... download is a bit disappointing. I have the Huawei E1803 TrueMove stick and I was given a new profile for the connection software "TrueMove H" at the truemove store when I bought the sim.

They advertise 42Mbps and I admitted to the phone rep that I don't expect 42Mbps, but I should be getting 6 Mbps at least. The lady responded that it depends on the hardware you are using and where you are located. I get 3-4 bars (out of 5) consistently, whether i am outside or inside, so I am ruling out location (although I could test different locations). I do not have another 850mhz device to test. I am considering a 3g mifi device if I do buy another device that has 21Mbps, like the ZTE MF62 (unless someone can recommend a better device). Will this or a newer 7.2Mbps device make a difference? I don't think it should, unless I can acheive over 7Mbps. Perhaps updated connection software may speed things up slightly? Is there a place to download their latest connection software directly? I may also try connecting directly through a macbook Huawei profile setting in Network Settings to see if this makes a difference. I want to hear other user's speeds before I call back.

IN PRACTICE, the uploads are very fast and normal surfing is noticably quicker than what I remember the previous true 3g in bangkok to be, regardless of HSPA/ HSPDA or whatever the connection software showed. I am mostly stationary with laptop (not moving in a car or bus). There have been a couple of times where my connection stalled for no apparent reason (I'm showing a clear connection with 3-4 bars) for several seconds. I'm satisfied so far. I might be the only one out here with it so far, and i hope it stays that way, but I know it wont. And it doesn't matter as long as the towers can handle the capacity.

Somebody commented that there are two separate sims for microsim and standard sim. I think there may still be a separate iPhone sim out there, but the newer net sim looks like it is designed to be 2-in-1. In these photos, you can see the standard sim has a perforation that can be broken out in the shape of a microsim.

post-109486-0-70655100-1331798515_thumb.post-109486-0-92140900-1331798513_thumb.

Another factoid worth pointing out is the MY Cat, which is CAT Telecom's retail post-paid version of TrueMove H, is offering an unlimited internet plan with 4GB fair use cap + 100 SMS for 590 baht (631 w/VAT). And you can use any modem/phone that supports 3G 850mhz. They also have a similar unlimited internet plan for smartphones, same 4GB fair use cap, but with 500 voice minutes to all networks + 300 SMS for 790 baht (845 with V). I think the smartphone package is a good deal and you could use something like skype or google talk to do additional free VOIP from within Thailand. I might just switch over to the My 3G from cat. It would be interesting to see if there is any performance difference (even though it is supposed to be the same network). I am assuming that CAT will still have no minimum term contract signups where you can suspend/cancel at anytime. Maybe the CAT office in Patong is still letting foreigners without a work permit still get post-paid accounts? I suppose a residence certificate or thai national would solve that problem anyway.

• 1 month later...

After over a month to evaluate true H Unlimited 3GB prepaid plan and now currently evaluating myCat MyClick 590 postpaid, I think I will stick with MyClick 590. I save 230 baht/mo and I am not near true wifi anyway, so the free "unlimited" wifi isn't a dealbreaker. I can always put it on a true h sim for 100 baht if I am traveling and really need the wifi.

Volume-wise, the 590 is the second best deal going for mobile high speed 3G. In chumphon, (and other provinces), the only other 3g with higher data volume is Cat CDMA, which is still unlimited. Use it while it lasts.

The downside is that it is difficult to check balance with myCat. There must be a way to check usage of MB with CAT. They offer voice and SMS, wouldn't the user have a method (USSD or SMS) to check their balance or usage of features on their account? I need to call their customer service, as their pamplet that came with the sim was literally empty---just a MyCat logo. True H did a much better job in that regard.

I'm not experiencing any of the problems that others are experiencing and the internet has been more than acceptable. It's the keeping track of data usage that is tricky, especially over multiple devices. I also need to see what the fair use throttle will be. It's supposed to be 384 Kbps, but if other carrier changes are of any indication, this may have changed "without prior notice". I'll have to test and see if this is being honored close to the billing date

Also, will the bill indicate how much data the account has used during the billing period? This is all remains to be seen.

Yeah.The bill should indicate your data usage. As for the hardware part, try with a smartphone and see whether you get any speed difference.

I've tried with Truemove USB stick with 7.2 Mbps max down and 3.x Mbps up and ZTE MF 62 mifi (max 21Mbps down/5Mbps Up), both were about the same speeds in practice. I haven't tried in different provinces or areas yet beyond the town, the beach, and pathio. Not sure what other people are getting, but I've seen 6Mbps down at times. Uploads are always fast, at least 1Mbps. I think consistency of speeds is an issue, and would be more so in heavy traffic areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older True SIM card in my spare phone. I start it up maybe once a week to see if there is a signal. No signal here at all. The question is if the old 2G SIM card will see any signal from the supposedly new network?

I ask this because a Thai friend about ten kilometers away from me said that True does have a signal where he is at. I have CAT CDMA at home now which is very good right now.

I have an older True SIM card in my spare phone. I start it up maybe once a week to see if there is a signal. No signal here at all. The question is if the old 2G SIM card will see any signal from the supposedly new network?

I ask this because a Thai friend about ten kilometers away from me said that True does have a signal where he is at. I have CAT CDMA at home now which is very good right now.

You would need an 850 Mhz-capable 3G device and a TrueMove H SIM/Cat My SIM to verify availability of service.

• Like 1

As lomatopo said, you need the Cat My sim or true H sim and 3G device 850 mhz to see the newer network. They are 99 baht at most retail outlets, although sometimes you can get a free sim if you buy a new modem or some promotion. The older sim may be deactivated already.

Do not cancel CDMA until you are absolutely sure you are satisfied with 3G from True H/My Cat. CDMA you can still get unlimited (no fair use cap), which is great if you do not have landline internet.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the 3G signal is down for both MyByCat and True-H in Saphli (Thung Wua Laen Beach) The 2g signal seems to be picking up the normal roaming signal, but it is weak. I will check in the town tomorrow morning. And the Cat technician will call back tomorrow with an update. maybe it will be fixed by then.

Cat CDMA seems to be working ok, but youtube was slow as heck. I almost put a trouble-ticket there also.

BTW, here's how you check MyByCat MB usage: you must call the call center tongue.png . And regardless of when you signed up for service, the usage cycle resets on the 1st of every month (according to my intel). This kind of sucks unfortunately, because everyone will be on the same usage cycle instead of it being a rolling monthly cycle based solely on when service was started. But you can also start new service late in the month and use up the 4GB quickly :).

seems like the 3g signal came back in saphli....maybe power went out and they do not have backup?

anyway, 3g is in ranong. and it is pretty fast.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from Galaxy Cooper.