Jump to content

Russian Tourist Electrocuted In Phuket Resort Pool


Recommended Posts

Phuket News - Phuket tourist electrocuted in resort pool

The Phuket News

electrocution-phuket.jpeg

Photo courtesy of thephuketnews.com

PHUKET: -- Russian tourist Fedor Samsonov, 45, died last night (March 7) after being electrocuted while swimming in the pool of the five-star Dewa Resort and Spa in Karon.

Russian tourist Fedor Samsonov was electrocuted after coming into contact with the bridge’s metal railing.

Witnesses told police the incident occurred while Mr Samsonov’s wife and two children were taking an evening dip in the hotel pool at around 7pm.

Mr Samsonov heard his daughter screaming from the other side of the bridge which crosses over the pool. He got out of the water to see what was wrong.

But when he gripped a steel bar on the bridge next to his daughter, he fell down into the water and died instantly.

The hotel’s restaurant manager, 33-year-old Surasak Petchsut, was also rushed to Vachira hospital, after he too was electrocuted trying to help the Russian.

Mr Samsonov’s daughter’s scream was apparently caused by an electric shock to her hand when she brushed against the steel bar, according to police.

They suspect that a fault in the lighting system on the bridge may have been responsible, but are continuing to investigate.

Mr Samsonov checked in to the hotel on February 12 and was due to leave on March 13.

Source: http://www.thephuket...st.php?id=29130

-- thephuketnews.com 2012-03-08

footer_n.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phuket 'Electrocution': Police Call for Wiring Check at Every Phuket Resort

By Chutima Sidasathian and Sert Tongdee

PHUKET: -- Police on Phuket are hoping authorities will organise a check of electrical wiring at every Phuket resort in the aftermath of the apparent electrocution of a tourist at a Karon resort last night.

Russian tourist Fedor Samsonov appeared to suffer severe shock as he grabbed a handrail after leaving the swimming pool at the Dewa Karon Beach Resort, on the hillside above Karon beach. He was still dripping wet.

Tweet

A resort F&B manager, Surasak Pechtsud, 33, attempted to help Mr Samsonov, but also suffered apparent eletrical shock. Mr Samsonov's wife and two young daughters were still in the swimming pool when he suffered what appeared to be electrocution about 8pm.

Police will continue their investigations into the tragedy today, said Lars Ydmark, a well-known Phuket hotelier who opened the Karon resort under the Dewa brand on December 7.

''We are still waiting to get a clear picture,'' he told Phuketwan today. ''Our staff member who went to the man's assistance is ok today.

''He was checked at Vachira Phuket Hospital and allowed to go after observation.''

Mr Ydmark, who travelled to the resort last night when he heard about the incident, said when asked whether he could conmfirm it was an electrocution: ''We don't have the full facts. I can't say yea or nae to that.''

The resort manager would be assisting police investigations today, he said.

Colonel Boonlert On-Kang, of Chalong Police Station, went to the resort last night and was in no doubt about the cause of the man's death.

Colonel Boonlert said today he hopes authorities organise a check of all electrical wiring near resort pools across Phuket.

Source: http://phuketwan.com...t-resort-15633/

-- phuketwan.com 2012-03-08

Link to post
Share on other sites

what a tragic story , so sorry for this poor guy. I really hope the resort will be held responsible if the can prove there was a defect in electricity system ... but I really doubt . anyway lets cross finger ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a new resort, surely it HAD to be wired to modern standards (Earthing, RCD's etc.). Pure speculation on my part, but if the installation is found to have short comings Mr Lars Ydmark should be held accountable negligence (cost cutting).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every hotel/guesthouse which is using the poor standard of two-wires electric should be closed immediately and checked before re-opening. Too many accidents happened already, not just in the pool area, but also in bathrooms with improper wired waters heaters. Sometimes the heater is installed not even half a meter from the shower-head shock1.gif

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Because I have a healthy respect for my wellbeing I have my pool lights disconnected, I just don't trust the guy who did the wiring.

RIP to the Russian guy.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP sad.png

Have heard often that Thai electricity is different - doesn't need grounding.

That's what l was told when l built my house, but after a lot of laughing and finger pointing (by them ) l got it done. angry.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

RIP sad.png

Have heard often that Thai electricity is different - doesn't need grounding.

That's what l was told when l built my house, but after a lot of laughing and finger pointing (by them ) l got it done. angry.png

You must be crazy! Wait you're still alive. biggrin.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 volt lighting could be used here and earthing should be compulsory maybe it is already is in certain situation's but not done.

My next door neighbour has just had a timber deck laid with about 50% open to the rain etc he has uplights about 20 of them linked together plugged into a single wall socket no trip switch fitted all work done by the same guy .

I worry for him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...