Russian Tourist Electrocuted In Phuket Resort Pool

webfact

rip thanks to another messup in thai electric instalation

had a electrician install a hot water boiler once and offcourse provided the 2 meter rod for the grounding

was after 3 months while working in the garden that i discovered that the groundwire wasnt stripped and conected ontop of a thick layer tape above ground

luckely nothing went wrong so far and immediatly closed all electric at the resort and checked all he ever installed there

i was suprised he didnt even knew what he did wrong i think his initial idea og grounding was a few spoons of dirt on top of the device

guys like that should only be allowed to work with 1.5 volt baterys onder supervision

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad story, i hope other hotel owners are reading this, and taking appropriate action !

TIT, so even if they read this there is no reason for them to take action. The flow of tourists will continue, why invest a single satang?

Awful story.... But thats what you get when you fail to Earth properly...

RIP fella

that was my first thought when I read this story.

saving on a piece of wire, and not earthing anything.

Because I have a healthy respect for my wellbeing I have my pool lights disconnected, I just don't trust the guy who did the wiring.

RIP to the Russian guy.

If your pool lights are in the pool i wouldn't panic as the pool itself would be the earth. Any underwater current leakage would ground immediately.

I suspect the guy was electrocuted because he reached and bridged the live railing and the pool/earth.

Cheeryble

I guess if Thailand wants to be first world it needs building standards, inspections, enforcement plus proper education and certification of electricians. Until this happens, dont expect any change.

My God! I haven't seen such criminally negligent engineering or maintenance since, since, well since these. (13 dead, 145 injured)

Hopeless primitive Thai's at it again.

• Like 1

Fault current relays are as far as I know NOT required by Thai law. Grounding is however required on newer installations.

Unfortunately if there are no fault current relay and the installation is grounded, there are still risk of electrocution, as no device will detect the current going to ground trough the body.

A case from Chiang Mai a couple of years ago, an electrical adapter was used on a installation legal by Thai law, this adapter did not connect the ground to an attached washing machine, a fault within the washing machine caused the load (L) to connect to the frame (N).

A 7 year old boy got electrocuted when touching the frame of the washing machine - it is about time to require fault current relay installations in ALL public buildings, and NEW private build homes

RIP .

Awful story.... But thats what you get when you fail to Earth properly...

RIP fella

I am sorry to hear of the damage to the reputation of a reasonably good resort. Can we please focus on the electrical issue, nationwide. The electrical rules in Thailand are quite good. They are normally ignored in most cases, except where Tea Money is not served. One is forced to remember a certain chap in a city somewhat South of Chiang Rai, from a country somewhat North of England, who built a house for a chap from a large Western power, who then was forced to spend 500K baht to rectify the work of the aforementioned northern English chap, not because of no tea money, but simply because the work was so bad.

Electrical work in the Kingdom is generally a joke, as seen in Hotels where the "electrician" works on live wires to add lights, then tidies up with electrical tape, and the lot is then left in the rain.

On an alternative point, what is the current view of non-eastern block farang, of those same chaps, who come over here, and run gangs selling drugs etc? Perhaps this is Thailand's way of managing the bad reputations of these chappies...

• Like 1

The takeaway from this is to always check - physically test - that there is effective grounding **yourself**, do **not** trust any Thai electrician no matter how well-recommended they are, unless by a first-world-certified electrician/engineer who's actually worked with him on a long-term basis.

Should be basic training for hotel/resort/rental managers here, anywhere foreigners would be at risk.

Thais feel their own lives are cheap, so let them fry themselves if they want to. . .

In and around swimming pools they should be using low voltage systems (e.g., 12V) with safety ground for lighting with GFCI/RCBO-type circuit protection included, but I wouldn't be surprised if the typical 220V, two wire system was used instead...and unfortunately the 20 amp (or more) circuit breaker didn't trip in time. RIP.

There is more to this story than meets the eye, it seems that Fedor Samsonov was not all that he seemd to be.

I have it from a very good and reliable source that our inocent tourist, Mr. Samsonov, was in fact none other than, Colonel Samsonov of the FSB, from a long line of illustrious Soviet military officers.

He was the son of Colonel-general. VIKTOR SAMSONOV, CIS, Chief of Staff and Grandson of Fedor Aleksandrovich Samsonov, Soviet military commander, Colonel general of the artillery (1944). Member of the CPSU:

http://chimuchyo.egloos.com/1176039

http://encyclopedia2.../Fedor+Samsonov

http://www.generals....viet_Union.html

Indeed, Colonel Fedor Samsonov is rumoured to have been involved in the betrayal of Viktor Bout to the American authorities in a sting operation which led to his arrest at a famous Bangkok Hotel and his subsequent extradition to the US recently.

He was enjoying a well earned break from his work with his family, when disaster struck.

It seems that Hotel accidents often happen in strange ways here in the Kingdom of Smiles.

Police have yet to release their technical report on the electrical wiring in the swimming pool bridge area and are seeking to interview two Russian Chechen tourists believed to have stayed at the Dewa Karon Beach Resort and who checked out earlier that evening.

I guess if Thailand wants to be first world it needs building standards, inspections, enforcement plus proper education and certification of electricians. Until this happens, dont expect any change.

This is it in a nutshell. The goverment needs to drive this but this would be one more thing to the list of things they need to fix. I have seen bare live terminals on a building site in Pattaya and the wiring on poles along the streets looks like it was done by a bunch of drunken monkeys. The government needs to put the issue of safe electric high on its agenda or many more will die. I don't live in Thailand. Could some retired electrical engineer living here set up a commitee to lobby government? Would it have any impact?

From a Thai physics paper:

Q: If Thai electricity is not behaving in the approved manner, should you:

a. Pour water on it

b. Go to the wat and make merit

c. Smile shyly and pretend you have an urgent appointment on the other side of town

d. Blame the previous government (or better still, Cambodia)

e. Go out and play football with a friend of the opposite sex

Edited by Gillespie
  • Like 2

There is more to this story than meets the eye, it seems that Fedor Samsonov was not all that he seemd to be.

I have it from a very good and reliable source that our inocent tourist, Mr. Samsonov, was in fact none other than, Colonel Samsonov of the FSB, from a long line of illustrious Soviet military officers.

He was the son of Colonel-general. VIKTOR SAMSONOV, CIS, Chief of Staff and Grandson of Fedor Aleksandrovich Samsonov, Soviet military commander, Colonel general of the artillery (1944). Member of the CPSU:

http://chimuchyo.egloos.com/1176039

http://encyclopedia2.../Fedor+Samsonov

http://www.generals....viet_Union.html

Indeed, Colonel Fedor Samsonov is rumoured to have been involved in the betrayal of Viktor Bout to the American authorities in a sting operation which led to his arrest at a famous Bangkok Hotel and his subsequent extradition to the US recently.

He was enjoying a well earned break from his work with his family, when disaster struck.

It seems that Hotel accidents often happen in strange ways here in the Kingdom of Smiles.

Police have yet to release their technical report on the electrical wiring in the swimming pool bridge area and are seeking to interview two Russian Chechen tourists believed to have stayed at the Dewa Karon Beach Resort and who checked out earlier that evening.

Interesting story but l hope those who are thinking of a 5 star holiday here COMPLETELY understand the possible risks.

When are they going to learn,and what is high voltage doing near a pool, it beggas belief, i am sick of hearing about these needless deaths, i am not a sparkie, but i know you cant have 240v near water in OZ, i feel for the family, it is so sad that someone has lost their loved one and father, it is beyond belief.

Edited by metisdead
Disguised profanity edited out of post.
  • Like 1

RIP sad.png

Have heard often that Thai electricity is different - doesn't need grounding.

Looking for a job? You could be an electrical engineering inspector.

Just think of the Tea money you could make you could just show them your volt meter and hold your hat out.

• Like 1

This is it in a nutshell. The goverment needs to drive this but this would be one more thing to the list of things they need to fix. I have seen bare live terminals on a building site in Pattaya and the wiring on poles along the streets looks like it was done by a bunch of drunken monkeys. The government needs to put the issue of safe electric high on its agenda or many more will die. I don't live in Thailand. Could some retired electrical engineer living here set up a commitee to lobby government? Would it have any impact?

Not a whit if the advice comes from a farang. Thai's believe they are the superior race on this planet and already know everything.

• Like 1

Not a whit if the advice comes from a farang. Thai's believe they are the superior race on this planet and already know everything.

Yep my LOS family has learned a lot, the lad thought the planes that land at our airport were Thai built, clap2.gif I called him a blether-ing idiot. cowboy.gif

RIP sad.png

Have heard often that Thai electricity is different - doesn't need grounding.

Looking for a job? You could be an electrical engineering inspector.

Just think of the Tea money you could make you could just show them your volt meter and hold your hat out.

Do you happen know whether Thai volts are the same as western volts? rolleyes.gif

I stayed in a hotel on the beach in Karon in 2010 and was close to being killed when using the shower. I turned the hot water on and then whilst the two taps were running, I tried to turn the heat down and was just held to the tap and was being electrocuted. I could not let go of the tap and my whole body was convulsing. I yelled to my partner in the other room but she was watching television and could not hear me. I finally managed to punch my hand off the tap by using my other shaking arm. I told the management and apart from an apology, there was no compensation, even a reduced room rate was refused. The maintainence came in the next day and changed the water heater. We switched rooms but I found that for rest of the trip, I could not have a shower without flip flops (thongs) on and a constent paranoia that it was going to happen again. Thailand is notorious for it's bad electrical work. I was lucky and the Russian was not.

Rest In Peace and condolences to the familes.

• Like 1

Because I have a healthy respect for my wellbeing I have my pool lights disconnected, I just don't trust the guy who did the wiring.

RIP to the Russian guy.

Wise decision.

I had a Thai electrician install a more efficient water heater in one of my bathrooms. I insisted that he would call me for me to go and see the installation before replacing the ceiling tiles. I saw that the green grounding wire was lose. Connect it, please. I asked the electrician.

"Why you want it connected?, the "electrician" retorted. "It will work that way", was his authoritative final statement.

Understanding that safety and maintenance are obscure concepts in animistic Thailand I said. "You do not finish installation I will not pay. The green wire is there for a reason. "

After a few minutes, he was about to cut off the green wire. I stopped him in time and repeated it my warning.

After a few uncomfortable minutes of silence he confessed he did not know what to do with the green wire. He was an ostensible licensed electrician!

TIT land of "coincidences" and other types of calamities.

• Like 1