Jump to content

Russian Tourist Electrocuted In Phuket Resort Pool


Recommended Posts

rip thanks to another messup in thai electric instalation

had a electrician install a hot water boiler once and offcourse provided the 2 meter rod for the grounding

was after 3 months while working in the garden that i discovered that the groundwire wasnt stripped and conected ontop of a thick layer tape above ground

luckely nothing went wrong so far and immediatly closed all electric at the resort and checked all he ever installed there

i was suprised he didnt even knew what he did wrong i think his initial idea og grounding was a few spoons of dirt on top of the device

guys like that should only be allowed to work with 1.5 volt baterys onder supervision

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad story, i hope other hotel owners are reading this, and taking appropriate action !

TIT, so even if they read this there is no reason for them to take action. The flow of tourists will continue, why invest a single satang?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awful story.... But thats what you get when you fail to Earth properly...

RIP fella

that was my first thought when I read this story.

saving on a piece of wire, and not earthing anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because I have a healthy respect for my wellbeing I have my pool lights disconnected, I just don't trust the guy who did the wiring.

RIP to the Russian guy.

If your pool lights are in the pool i wouldn't panic as the pool itself would be the earth. Any underwater current leakage would ground immediately.

I suspect the guy was electrocuted because he reached and bridged the live railing and the pool/earth.

Cheeryble

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess if Thailand wants to be first world it needs building standards, inspections, enforcement plus proper education and certification of electricians. Until this happens, dont expect any change.

My God! I haven't seen such criminally negligent engineering or maintenance since, since, well since these. (13 dead, 145 injured)

Hopeless primitive Thai's at it again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fault current relays are as far as I know NOT required by Thai law. Grounding is however required on newer installations.

Unfortunately if there are no fault current relay and the installation is grounded, there are still risk of electrocution, as no device will detect the current going to ground trough the body.

A case from Chiang Mai a couple of years ago, an electrical adapter was used on a installation legal by Thai law, this adapter did not connect the ground to an attached washing machine, a fault within the washing machine caused the load (L) to connect to the frame (N).

A 7 year old boy got electrocuted when touching the frame of the washing machine - it is about time to require fault current relay installations in ALL public buildings, and NEW private build homes

RIP .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awful story.... But thats what you get when you fail to Earth properly...

RIP fella

I am sorry to hear of the damage to the reputation of a reasonably good resort. Can we please focus on the electrical issue, nationwide. The electrical rules in Thailand are quite good. They are normally ignored in most cases, except where Tea Money is not served. One is forced to remember a certain chap in a city somewhat South of Chiang Rai, from a country somewhat North of England, who built a house for a chap from a large Western power, who then was forced to spend 500K baht to rectify the work of the aforementioned northern English chap, not because of no tea money, but simply because the work was so bad.

Electrical work in the Kingdom is generally a joke, as seen in Hotels where the "electrician" works on live wires to add lights, then tidies up with electrical tape, and the lot is then left in the rain.

On an alternative point, what is the current view of non-eastern block farang, of those same chaps, who come over here, and run gangs selling drugs etc? Perhaps this is Thailand's way of managing the bad reputations of these chappies...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The takeaway from this is to always check - physically test - that there is effective grounding **yourself**, do **not** trust any Thai electrician no matter how well-recommended they are, unless by a first-world-certified electrician/engineer who's actually worked with him on a long-term basis.

Should be basic training for hotel/resort/rental managers here, anywhere foreigners would be at risk.

Thais feel their own lives are cheap, so let them fry themselves if they want to. . .

Link to post
Share on other sites

In and around swimming pools they should be using low voltage systems (e.g., 12V) with safety ground for lighting with GFCI/RCBO-type circuit protection included, but I wouldn't be surprised if the typical 220V, two wire system was used instead...and unfortunately the 20 amp (or more) circuit breaker didn't trip in time. RIP.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is more to this story than meets the eye, it seems that Fedor Samsonov was not all that he seemd to be.

I have it from a very good and reliable source that our inocent tourist, Mr. Samsonov, was in fact none other than, Colonel Samsonov of the FSB, from a long line of illustrious Soviet military officers.

He was the son of Colonel-general. VIKTOR SAMSONOV, CIS, Chief of Staff and Grandson of Fedor Aleksandrovich Samsonov, Soviet military commander, Colonel general of the artillery (1944). Member of the CPSU:

http://chimuchyo.egloos.com/1176039

http://encyclopedia2.../Fedor+Samsonov

http://www.generals....viet_Union.html

Indeed, Colonel Fedor Samsonov is rumoured to have been involved in the betrayal of Viktor Bout to the American authorities in a sting operation which led to his arrest at a famous Bangkok Hotel and his subsequent extradition to the US recently.

He was enjoying a well earned break from his work with his family, when disaster struck.

It seems that Hotel accidents often happen in strange ways here in the Kingdom of Smiles.

Police have yet to release their technical report on the electrical wiring in the swimming pool bridge area and are seeking to interview two Russian Chechen tourists believed to have stayed at the Dewa Karon Beach Resort and who checked out earlier that evening.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...