Exchanging Baht In London

I brought some Thai Baht to London. Not much, 600.000 as a reserve in case the credit card was lost or similar. Yesterday I thought I'd get rid off it and asked around amongst the exchange offices. The worst rate was 61.87, can you believe that? Probably better of carrying the lot back to Thailand when I go back in the future. SIXTYONE!!??

I brought some Thai Baht to London. Not much, 600.000 as a reserve in case the credit card was lost or similar. Yesterday I thought I'd get rid off it and asked around amongst the exchange offices. The worst rate was 61.87, can you believe that? Probably better of carrying the lot back to Thailand when I go back in the future. SIXTYONE!!??

Why would you think any London forex place would want your baht? It's hardly a global currency. Hence the exchange rate.

Not sure why you're surprised. It's just common sense.

Cash exchange of Baht is difficult anywhere in Europe.

61 vs 48 (rate in Thailand) would mean a loss of about 2600 Pounds.

For me that would be good enough for a Thailand holiday.

Take it back to TH ASAP.

You have broken a Thai Law by taking so many Thai Baht out of the country ! I remember there is a post in the Immigration area of Subvarnabhumi Airport, stating the exact amount of what is allowed to take out of the country, me think it is something like 20,000 Baht. If they had the 600,000 Baht detected while you were stil at their airport, it would have gotten confiscated and you had gone to jail ! Correct me if I am wrong !

You have broken a Thai Law by taking so many Thai Baht out of the country ! I remember there is a post in the Immigration area of Subvarnabhumi Airport, stating the exact amount of what is allowed to take out of the country, me think it is something like 20,000 Baht. If they had the 600,000 Baht detected while you were stil at their airport, it would have gotten confiscated and you had gone to jail ! Correct me if I am wrong !

travelling with his wife via a neighbouring country, e.g Malaysia, the OP would have been entitled to take out 1 million Baht (500k per person). but even if flying directly to UK any confiscation and going to jail is a yada yada yakety-yak assumption without any basis.

travelling with his wife via a neighbouring country, e.g Malaysia, the OP would have been entitled to take out 1 million Baht (500k per person). but even if flying directly to UK any confiscation and going to jail is a yada yada yakety-yak assumption without any basis.

I'm surprised noone has offered to take them off the OP's hands for 57 baht to the pound. i would, if I was in London.

i went into sainsbury last time i was in the uk bought some things got to the check out and handed the girl a 20 pound note she told me sorry sir we only take thai baht.

proberly because the pound is so weak, another year and it will proberly disapear up its own a**e

VERY funny Salavan. Your post did make me chuckle.clap2.gif I don't think we're going to see the demise of Sterling just yet, but as loo paper goes, it's the cheap rough-stuff compared to the luxuriously velvety Baht!violin.gif