Koh Phangan Airport

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Party island Koh Phangan to build its first airport

Celebrating the full moon just got a lot easier: Kan Air will build an airport and launch Bangkok-Koh Phangan flights

Koh Phangan, Thailand's gorgeous island famed for the full moon parties that take place on Haad Rin Beach, will soon get its own airport.

Why didn't they think of that earlier? There is little worse than enduring the rocky two-hour ferry ride away from Koh Phangan with a mega party hangover.

Continued here:

http://www.cnngo.com...-airport-238156

Celebrating the full moon just got a lot easier: Kan Air will build an airport and launch Bangkok-Koh Phangan flights

Koh Phangan, Thailand's gorgeous island famed for the full moon parties that take place on Haad Rin Beach, will soon get its own airport.

Why didn't they think of that earlier? There is little worse than enduring the rocky two-hour ferry ride away from Koh Phangan with a mega party hangover.

Continued here:

Not exactly good reporting, .... They are saying Surat Thani is an island.....wink.png... when did that happen? biggrin.pngwink.png

"Visitors can make a five-hour journey from the larger island of Surat Thani, including a 2.5-hour ferry ride."

Continued here:

Not exactly good reporting, .... They are saying Surat Thani is an island.....wink.png... when did that happen? biggrin.pngwink.png

"Visitors can make a five-hour journey from the larger island of Surat Thani, including a 2.5-hour ferry ride."

Well, um, I guess technically its just the giant island of Asia??? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Some news about Koh Phangan (and Donsak) projected airports. Sorry only Thai!

Basically almost a fight between KPG and Donsak on the major utility of their own airports

Am I missing something here? Why is a new airport at Donsak needed at all? If a decent communications link to Surat Airport could be established

there would be need.

The existing Surat airport has all the facilities including published Instrument Approaches. Can handle wide body aircraft and has adequate runway lengths and widths. And has extremely low landing fees.

We went this way a few years ago. Everyone wanted their own airport as a status symbol and now there are loads of underutlised airports ...Krabi/Trang/Chumphon/Nakhon,etc all subsidised by the tax-payer. What a waste!!sad.png

Am I missing something here? Why is a new airport at Donsak needed at all? If a decent communications link to Surat Airport could be established

there would be need.

The existing Surat airport has all the facilities including published Instrument Approaches. Can handle wide body aircraft and has adequate runway lengths and widths. And has extremely low landing fees.

We went this way a few years ago. Everyone wanted their own airport as a status symbol and now there are loads of underutlised airports ...Krabi/Trang/Chumphon/Nakhon,etc all subsidised by the tax-payer. What a waste!!sad.png

I tend to agree with you Gatorade. thumbsup.gif

A new airport just to save a one hour drive??? cheesy.gif (Makes me laugh with despair). Unfortunately - some of that tax money is mine! crying.gif (Makes me cry in pain)

Basically almost a fight between KPG and Donsak on the major utility of their own airports

where can they fly to can they fly to bangkok if so i am up for it.

it might be 1 hours drive but u need a car then u have to park it there which if you are going away for a long time u shall not wish to leav it at the airport.

or get a taxi or go the night before stay in cheap hotel then taxi the next day.

the cost together is not much difference than bangkok airways. plus if you take your car u have about 600 baht for ferry the ssurat air port is abotu 130 mins to 2 hrs from donsak. so u have to leave 3hr s30 minutes plus 1 hour check in 4 hrs 30 minutes before

plus fue there and back

it is needed badly just because of bandit airways

now u can just jump on a boat and jumop off onto a plane unless it does not fy to bbk

Edited by BigC

it might be 1 hours drive but u need a car then u have to park it there which if you are going away for a long time u shall not wish to leav it at the airport.

or get a taxi or go the night before stay in cheap hotel then taxi the next day.

the cost together is not much difference than bangkok airways. plus if you take your car u have about 600 baht for ferry the ssurat air port is abotu 130 mins to 2 hrs from donsak. so u have to leave 3hr s30 minutes plus 1 hour check in 4 hrs 30 minutes before

plus fue there and back

now u can just jump on a boat and jumop off onto a plane unless it does not fy to bbk

I think you may have missed Tropics point, all the hassle and expense you mention trying to get to surat airport are still going to be there getting to an airport in Donsak with the exception of the 1.5 hour taxi.

I fly out from Samui around 5 times a year and its these hassles and time spent getting there that make me use Samui airport everytime. An airport in Donsak, Surat or even KPN still means me leaving my house at least half a aday (if not more) before i fly as apposed to a couple of hours.

I dont like the prices of BA like everyone else but until anyone can offer a significantly cheaper / easier / quicker option I will continue to use them.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

plus fue there and back

I think you may have missed Tropics point, all the hassle and expense you mention trying to get to surat airport are still going to be there getting to an airport in Donsak with the exception of the 1.5 hour taxi.

I fly out from Samui around 5 times a year and its these hassles and time spent getting there that make me use Samui airport everytime. An airport in Donsak, Surat or even KPN still means me leaving my house at least half a aday (if not more) before i fly as apposed to a couple of hours.

I dont like the prices of BA like everyone else but until anyone can offer a significantly cheaper / easier / quicker option I will continue to use them.

u r missing the point if it is donsak u can almost walk to the aiprot not need a car or just a 5 minute taxi. suratthani airport is miles from donsak 130 minutes to 2 hours

plus fue there and back

u r missing the point if it is donsak u can almost walk to the aiprot not need a car or just a 5 minute taxi. suratthani airport is miles from donsak 130 minutes to 2 hours

Thats exactly my (and Tropicalevo's) point, an entire airport is about to be built to save a 1.5 hour car / taxi ride. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

• Like 1

Thats exactly my (and Tropicalevo's) point, an entire airport is about to be built to save a 1.5 hour car / taxi ride. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

If you're taking AirAsia's first flight you must spend the night in Surat.

There's not 1,5 hour to spend between the first ferry and the first flight.

If you're taking AirAsia's first flight you must spend the night in Surat.

There's not 1,5 hour to spend between the first ferry and the first flight.

Very true, even more reason to get on a plane in Samui!

• 9 months later...
Any progress made yet ?

Yes indeed, backpackers are now being deployed (to remove rocks from landing strip) as we speak.

Otzzc1J.jpg

Note typical local standing on rock - supervising and surveying the area, yet doing little or no work as per usual KPG worker custom.

• Like 1