• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the runway on a side of a cliff ?

It makes for a shorter runway..... biggrin.pngtongue.png

This is the third tread on this subject.... how many do we need? coffee1.gifbiggrin.png

They are using the """"" Aircraft Carrier method """"" Take off over the cliff drop then lift. As for landing no fear of hitting anything, just go over the edge & power on .

Serious note now, so all this to service some high end resorts? I think they have taken a leaf out of BKK air's book.Will wait & see.

If it's an airport I think that it will be along the same lines as the hotel airstrip near Koh Chang. Which is operated by Six Senses, Soneva Kiri.

Prices start at around 62000 Baht per night without the cost of the air travel which takes1 hour from BKK.

If I recall, the cost of a 3 day stay including private flight was around 200.000Baht

They operate (or did) a 12 seat Cessna Grand Caravan which is Ok for around 2000M runway length.and they have cut Soneva in half with the airstrip.

Don't expect cheap prices! Presumably if they operate the ten minute flight from Samui the operator will be paying around

150 USD per movement if they manage to get a deal with Bkk Air.

In my opinion it will be an exclusive private hotel operation which will link in nicely to BKK Airways schedule. However the site on KP has fierce crosswinds

which should get the pulses racing for those brave and rich enough to try it. And if the weather is really dodgy the only practical diversion airports

are Samui and Surat.

Don't expect a "Commercial" operation and even if the DCA were to approve it I think that based on the operating costs of a Caravan

the fare would work out at around 1500-2000 Baht per person each way from Samui to KP.

Does anyone have news about the planned airport on the westcoast? AFAIK they're still planning to do it and my latest update was that the construction has been allowed by the government and the last step will be to get the 'OK' from the environmental group.

Which west coast???? hopefully not Samui.... sad.png and there is no room on KP west coast .... thank goodness! smile.png

Southwest. As I said the plans are quite daring. I also can't assess if they will actually build it.

Which west coast???? hopefully not Samui.... sad.png and there is no room on KP west coast .... thank goodness! smile.png

As far as I remember -back to the beginning of this century- a small airport was proposed on the west coast;

with plans to be build on the coconut grove opposite Hing Kong bay...

It was supposed to start at the back of Suko (Woktum corner) with an end at Louis' (yoga retreat nowadays)

But it did not take long for Hing Kong locales to fight against the project, keep their plots... and leasing them for resort buildings cool.png

As far as I remember -back to the beginning of this century- a small airport was proposed on the west coast;

It was supposed to start at the back of Suko (Woktum corner) with an end at Louis' (yoga retreat nowadays)

But it did not take long for Hing Kong locales to fight against the project, keep their plots... and leasing them for resort buildings cool.png

Interesting. Do you know who was involved in these plans back then?

Oops I thought it was still the old one.

Now all together.

Pssst ..... there is still one missing... I know cos I started it!!!!! . but I cannot find it! rolleyes.gif I think someone swept in under the carpet..???.....biggrin.png

You didn't look too hard, did you now? Must be your preoccupation with your dongle issue.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/474547-airport-on-kp-coming-soon/page__hl__+kpg%20+airport#entry4484839

• Like 1

The remark:

yes there was a push for an airport a few years back and the locals went nuts about it. signs started appearing all over the baan nai suan maedua wan, sri thanu, hin kong, hospital area (flatlands) in thai that said phangan is for boats, not planes.

I love that whole area,especially the small rice paddies tucked away near baan nai suan

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

Is this a government/public project or private? I mean who's paying, shoudn't be that cheap to build an airport?

There are foreign investors and also companies from abroad who are interested in constructing the airport. Official announcement - if they get the permission - should follow soon. (As said before, I can't judge if they will get this permission).

Is this a government/public project or private? I mean who's paying, shoudn't be that cheap to build an airport?

There are foreign investors and also companies from abroad who are interested in constructing the airport. Official announcement - if they get the permission - should follow soon. (As said before, I can't judge if they will get this permission).

Shafty.... Not sure who is more confused here,and with only 11 posts makes me think how great your knowledge is on this subject.

Please just one question.... You do know that the pictures of the construction work taking place are pictures of the East coast KPN ?

Please just one question.... You do know that the pictures of the construction work taking place are pictures of the East coast KPN ?

Oh my god I'm so sorry, I think I mixed it up with east and west, it's just so difficult!laugh.png Especially on this island where there are beaches with the same names on both sides whistling.gif

Yeah and that part about sunsets and sunrises makes it confusing too....

I think I'm going to love this forum, you seem to understand this sense of humour thumbsup.gif (Btw I saw the last the Full Moon in Chaloklam, afaik that's in the north of the island! I thought Full Moon takes only place in Haad Rin!clap2.gif )

Yeah and that part about sunsets and sunrises makes it confusing too....

I think I'm going to love this forum, you seem to understand this sense of humour thumbsup.gif (Btw I saw the last the Full Moon in Chaloklam, afaik that's in the north of the island! I thought Full Moon takes only place in Haad Rin!clap2.gif )

FMP in sleepy Chaloklum? cheesy.gif

That boggles the mind....blink.png must have been a bunch of Ravers, who were confused or "on something" and did not know where they were... but they would have saved a lot of money! biggrin.png

Back to topic now..... !!!!