Koh Phangan Airport

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please just one question.... You do know that the pictures of the construction work taking place are pictures of the East coast KPN ?

Oh my god I'm so sorry, I think I mixed it up with east and west, it's just so difficult!laugh.png Especially on this island where there are beaches with the same names on both sides whistling.gif

No more questions thank you....

Please just one question.... You do know that the pictures of the construction work taking place are pictures of the East coast KPN ?

Oh my god I'm so sorry, I think I mixed it up with east and west, it's just so difficult!laugh.png Especially on this island where there are beaches with the same names on both sides whistling.gif

Ok thank you.... No more questions,like Ever!! to you on this subjecttongue.png .... And FM... Chaloklum hey?cheesy.gif

May i add......is seen "All over the world"...except when it's cloudy of coursesmile.png

Thank you. With so much useful information, my life is so much better now laugh.png

Ok back to topic,

I was talking about an airport project on the west coast of Phangan. Like you said I have only very few posts on this forum so you could have found out easily that I was not talking about any construction site on the east coast.

I had initially wondered how likely is an actual realization so I never claimed that I know much about the background to this topic.That's why I came hear to find out more from people like you that live on this island for long time and probably know a lot moresmile.png

To be fair I have heard this rumour over the past year about an airline being interested interested in building an airport in Koh Phangan. How much store I put in the rumour I am undecided. I heard the same story from various sources, some Thai, some farang. This of course doesn't mean its true.

When the Thong Nai Pan airport (appeared to have) started I was confused as it didn't fit in the rumour. Too small, wrong location and wrong airline.

The truth here is probably that there is interest in building a Koh Phangan airport and even some active attempts to do it. The problem is that this is a really difficult project to see through. There are lots of vested interests on the Island. Some people will lose out and don't want it, others will obstruct it unless they get a big share of the profits. Even with these difficulties overcome, Koh Phangan is still a difficult place to undertake large construction projects. Poor infrastructure and difficulties with getting labour is going to create problems.

If anyone has anything concrete (like a runway) then do please post it.

• Like 1

To be fair I have heard this rumour over the past year about an airline being interested interested in building an airport in Koh Phangan. How much store I put in the rumour I am undecided. I heard the same story from various sources, some Thai, some farang. This of course doesn't mean its true.

When the Thong Nai Pan airport (appeared to have) started I was confused as it didn't fit in the rumour. Too small, wrong location and wrong airline.

The truth here is probably that there is interest in building a Koh Phangan airport and even some active attempts to do it. The problem is that this is a really difficult project to see through. There are lots of vested interests on the Island. Some people will lose out and don't want it, others will obstruct it unless they get a big share of the profits. Even with these difficulties overcome, Koh Phangan is still a difficult place to undertake large construction projects. Poor infrastructure and difficulties with getting labour is going to create problems.

If anyone has anything concrete (like a runway) then do please post it.

And some eople actually live where they might build an airport and aren't necessarily willing to destroy their homes and community.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear that KP is getting very short of water, in some areas..... perhaps that is part of the delay.....? They can't make cement... wink.png

Just aside, I also heard that KT is bringing in water from the mainland.... no significant rain for 4 months.... sad.png

We have the same problem on Samui Jimmy.

A few people telling me that the government water is only every other day in some areas.

Water trucks struggling with demand.

Reservoirs low and wells running dry.sad.png

Edited by Tropicalevo

I hear that KP is getting very short of water, in some areas..... perhaps that is part of the delay.....? They can't make cement... wink.png

Just aside, I also heard that KT is bringing in water from the mainland.... no significant rain for 4 months.... sad.png

We have the same problem on Samui Jimmy.

A few people telling me that the government water is only every other day in some areas.

Water trucks struggling with demand.

Reservoirs low and wells running dry.sad.png

Yes I know, i was going say that, but did not want to get too far off topic!!!! whistling.gifSeveral neighbours are pretty desperate for water..... A good few days of rain would be good anytime soon! wink.png

• 3 weeks later...

Six months past since this topic started,

four months ago it was said it will be finished in 6 to 8 months,

two monts ago, they went for lunch.

Anyone any news? Have they finished lunch yet?

What do those reliable sources and tarrot cards say?

• 3 weeks later...

There is talk that Kan Air purchased new planes, they are also leasing ATR72. Spending 700 million on KPG airport & same landing fees as Suvanabhumi.

There was a full report on progress in the business section of the Bangkok Post yesterday. Also:

"Kan Air currently operates brand new aircraft(purchased 2011) - latest model of turbine powered Cessna C208B Grand Caravan equipped with the state of the art EFIS glass cockpit G1000, operated by 2 crew and is providing for 12 passenger seats. Another aircraft of the same type is on order with expected delivery in October 2011. Another aircraft types are in consideration for further expansion of Kan Air fleet to allow for adding new destinations. Exansion to south of Thailand will be operated with a P180 Piagio AVANTI multi-engines pressurized airplane, expected last trimester of 2012.

Scheduled destinations currently offered by Kan Air out of its Chiang Mai hub are Chiang Rai(3xweekly), Pai(daily), Phisanulok(4xweekly), Mae Hong Son(2xdaily), Mae Sot(3xweekly) and Nan(4xweekly).

Charter flights to Mae Sariang Airport take place frequently and are intended to be scheduled but due to the airport's limited infrastracture only charter operations are approved at the moment.

Kan Air is also actively involved in acute medivac operations from remote areas in both - day and night condition."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kan_Air

just thought I would put some more information down from another website but with a similiar story

the airline now considers to lease two ATR 72 and another two Embraer ERJ 145 regional jets. These aircraft would be put on routes serving Koh Phangan, an airport that the airline is currently building.

The airport is due to be completed by next year. Located east of the island it will have a small air terminal and a 1,100 m runway

http://www.traveldailynews.asia/news/article/50665/commuter-airline-constructs-airport-in

just thought I would put some more information down from another website but with a similiar story

the airline now considers to lease two ATR 72 and another two Embraer ERJ 145 regional jets. These aircraft would be put on routes serving Koh Phangan, an airport that the airline is currently building.

The airport is due to be completed by next year. Located east of the island it will have a small air terminal and a 1,100 m runway

http://www.traveldai...ucts-airport-in

Wow! 25 million US $ to build, and 14 passengers per flight,..... can someone work out the math on that... to find the break even point ....? blink.png it might make BKK Airlines look like a bargain! smile.png

Last I heard from my "source" it will be two years before it opens.... wink.png

http://www.traveldai...ucts-airport-in

An Embraer 145 on 1100Meters of Runway??? That should raise the pulses a tad. Hope there's plenty of clearway at each Runway end!.