Two Hundred Thousand?

x-pat

It seems that the official population figure for Chiang Mai given by the Thai government is around 200,000. However, when looking at the city, it seems bigger than that. There is an urbanized circular area of about 8 km diameter with high to medium density, and there are suburbs around this area with medium to low density. Of course, the whole thing is growing. If one counts the population within the second (outer) ring road (some of which does technically not belong to Amphor Chiang Mai), I think the figure should be closer to 400,000. What do you think? Is there any data available on this?

:o X-Pat

I've seen various figures ranging from 200-500,000 (none of the sources, appeared to be authoritative). It's very essential to agree what area "Chiang Mai" covers - the sources I've seen haven't bothered to be precise on that point.

I've seen various figures ranging from 200-500,000 (none of the sources, appeared to be authoritative). It's very essential to agree what area "Chiang Mai" covers - the sources I've seen haven't bothered to be precise on that point.

This topic has come up before in this forum. If you search for "population" you'll see figures quoted for a specific area: Chiang Mai municipality.

...If you search for "population" you'll see figures quoted for a specific area: Chiang Mai municipality.

That search yields:

CM province 1,603,220

Chiangmai Muang District 248,340

I'd guess the figures represent the number of Thais who - according to their tabien bahn - are registered in Chiang Mai province/city?

Taking into consideration that few Thais bother to change their tabien bahn (unless they buy a condo) together with the circumstance that much more migration goes towards CM than away - the actual number of inhabitants must be much higher.

The number of people you'd meet in Muang CM , within peak hours and peak season would be even higher.

...If you search for "population" you'll see figures quoted for a specific area: Chiang Mai municipality.

That search yields:

CM province 1,603,220

Chiangmai Muang District 248,340

I'd guess the figures represent the number of Thais who - according to their tabien bahn - are registered in Chiang Mai province/city?

Taking into consideration that few Thais bother to change their tabien bahn (unless they buy a condo) together with the circumstance that much more migration goes towards CM than away - the actual number of inhabitants must be much higher.

The number of people you'd meet in Muang CM , within peak hours and peak season would be even higher.

Fascinating.

I'm interested in the number of farangs in the province.....anyone know anything??

How often does the Thai government actually do a real census? (going door to door and getting people counts as is done in the US every 10 years...) even in the US there are many accounting errors on the census and adjustments are attempted...

Do the Thais do anything like this? Or, is it mai ben rai? I too feel that the population of muang ChiangMai is much higher...

dseawarrior