Ethiopian Restaurant In Bkk

GF132

Ethiopians crave Ethiopian food..

As a young boy, if I didn't finish my dinner, I was told that "Ethiopians are starving", so I know the above must be true.

If I had a plate of injera for everyone time I've heard that kind of lame joke ...

It's never told by people who actually know about how wonderful and unique Ethiopian food really is.

Ethiopians crave Ethiopian food..

As a young boy, if I didn't finish my dinner, I was told that "Ethiopians are starving", so I know the above must be true.

If I had a plate of injera for everyone time I've heard that kind of lame joke ...

It's never told by people who actually know about how wonderful and unique Ethiopian food really is.

No one is doubting the quality of North African cuisine, I have eated and enjoyed many good meals in similar resteraunts.

It's not really picky. Ethiopia is known as an East African country, simple as that. Its a well established geopolitical descriptor. Say North African food and people will be thinking of foods from places like Morocco. Also note (correct me if I'm wrong) that the only national food very similar to Ethiopian food is Eritrean food, so it wouldn't even be very helpful to refer to it as East African food because it is so unique.

Edited by Jingthing

• 9 months later...

I too love Ethiopian food! Brought some teff flour back with us on last trip to the States and am hoping to attempt making injera sometime soon, along with some mesir wat (the red lentils) and abesha gomen (collard greens), recipe for which I have on my blog (very simple): http://www.mistress-of-spices.com/2012/07/abesha-gomen-ethiopian-collard-greens.html

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just tried the friendly new one on Soi 3 and it is really great! Quite a large place and one of the best aspects is the unique pleasure producing Ethiopian music, to accompany your meal. It is also quite 'Vegetarian Friendly' with a sampler plate of many type of veggie dishes.

To be fair, there is also another smaller Ethiopian restaurant with a more limited menu, on 'African Street', the small dead end lane closer to Sukhumvit on the same side, along with other African eateries. Just look for the Rasta Ethiopan colors, on the right hand side. Only challange, is that going there, so many Africans approach you asking if you want 'anything'. Easy to just follow the simple rule, "don't engage" look at or talk to them and they will leave you alone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out the other Ethiopean restaurant you mentioned. You are right! There are now two Ethiopean restaurants in Bangkok. They said they have been open three months. Unfortunately there were no tables free outside and the TV was blaring loud inside the small shophouse, so I didn't eat there. Basic Ethiopean menu with injera, of course. Pretty much the same menu as the other place. A little cheaper. I may have been given a tourist menu as it looked brand new. They were friendly enough. I don't guess they get many white people. The vibe on the soi is not something I'm used to, but I've never been to Africa.

Edited by ricklev

• 1 month later...

Hot tip: a very nice Ethiopian lady has opened up a restaurant in the food court of Bangkok Hospital (main branch, in Bangkok).

She has a full menu of good, homemade Ethiopian food at very cheap prices.

She will ply you with house-brewed Ethiopian coffee and tastes of this and that as well.

Recommended!

post-145938-13675448328752_thumb.jpg

post-145938-13675448571537_thumb.jpg

post-145938-13675448845581_thumb.jpg

post-145938-13675449057243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did you go? What did you think?

I did make the fairly inconvenient trip there on Saturday and everything in the food court was open but the Ethiopean restaurant. I had called the hospital first and learned they are only open 9-3, but I guess they took the day off. The stand next door said they were open on Friday. However, I found a pretty good Burmese stand in the food court and had a good Mohinga and some extremely oily Burmese curries.

In the mood for Ethiopean food I headed to Soi Africa off Nana to try the other new place on Sunday. However they were also closed. An Indian guy in the Indian restaurant directly opposite said the police came and closed them on Saturday night. I asked why and he shook his head sadly and said there was too much drinking and fighting. (Actually, he shook his head in an Indian manner and I might have been projecting the sadness through my western cultural lens.)

Edited by ricklev

The new one on Soi 3 is actually pretty damn good, I think. I have no experience with Ethiopian food, though, but it was tasty to me and that's all I cared about! Price was actually decent, too, if you go with a large crowd. We ordered something like 4-5 large platters of all sorts of meats and veg and it came down to about 160 a person for food (alcohols were billed separately).

In the mood for Ethiopean food I headed to Soi Africa off Nana to try the other new place on Sunday. However they were also closed. An Indian guy in the Indian restaurant directly opposite said the police came and closed them on Saturday night. I asked why and he shook his head sadly and said there was too much drinking and fighting. (Actually, he shook his head in an Indian manner and I might have been projecting the sadness through my western cultural lens.)

Probably visa violations to go with it, not to mention doing work reserved for Thai only.