Thai Taxi Meter Rates Set To Increase In Mid-April

webfact

Taxi Meter Rates Set to Increase in Mid-April

taximeter.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry has approved an increase in taxi meter rates planned to go into effect on April 16.

Phum Palang Taxi Cooperative manager, Kasemsan Chompoodaeng, said the Land Transport Department under the Transport Ministry approved the meter rate increase. However, he said the ministry has not yet concluded what form the price increase will take.

The Land Transport Department will discuss with the Energy Ministry, the PTT and taxi operators. All details will be finalized by April 16, which is the date that the new fares will begin.

As of now, four forms of fare hikes have been proposed. Firstly, the startling price of a cab will be maintained at 35 baht, while meter rates per mile will increase. Conversely, an alternative proposal is to increase the starting price to 40, 45 or 50 baht.

Kasemsan stated that taxi operators have been minimally affected by the energy price hike since the PTT has shouldered most of the burden on the Natural Gas for Vehicles, or NGV, at two baht a liter from January 16 through April 16.

After that, the taxi operators will be facing a gas price hike, so they will be forced to raise taxi fares. Moreover, the Transport Ministry will improve the standard of taxi services.

As of now, there are around 100,000 cabs, and only 80,000 of them has registered with the Ministry. The Ministry will set a limit on the number of cabs so that taxis do not outnumber passengers.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-12

footer_n.gif

"The Ministry will set a limit on the number of cabs so that taxis do not outnumber passengers."

Well, this is the same authority setting the new pricing - good luck to all of us. Bangkok's taxis are anyhow among the cheapest on the planet which explains smaller wheels and faster meters for the last 20 years. In the old days you bargained the fare and, if you were lucky and grabbed an old Toyopet with a Nippon Denso airconditioner which got fitted later you topped another 20 Baht for the air.

• Like 1

Totally agree with the consensus. The taxis are a real bargain here and - comparing the price with the quality of the cars - it probably represents the best value in pretty much any city I have ever been in. Manila fares are cheaper, but the cars are truly awful. Hong Kong cars are fine and cheap for the fact it's a first world city, but the starting meter price of HKD 20 translates to around 80 baht. I was in Beijing at the weekend, and the starting price there is RMB10 or around 48 baht, but again the quality of the cars is nothing like Bkk.

I'd ber very happy to see the starting fare hiked to 45 baht.

• Like 2

the solid-colour ones are rented to the driver at a daily rate. If you just increase the per km or flagfall, the owners will just get out their calculator again and raise the rental price. This is what happened last time.

Not just the last time, but every time, the companies make the money, not the drivers.

No problems with the fare increase in any way but get the feeling that raising the start fare to around 50 baht will only increase the number of refusals. Better put it on the mileage to make it more attractive to the driver for long journeys.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think if the starting price goes up the refusal rate will go up dramaticly. This is obvious.hit-the-fan.gif

that's a good move , taxi drivers need to make a bit more money .... Reducing the amount of taxis in Bangkok will help also as on my opinion they are too many taxis ,

I think there would be many who would disagree, as the availability of cheap taxi transport is one of the attractive elements of a mostly unattractive city. The number will be determined by supply and demand. If they weren't being used, and were not making money, they would not exist in such large numbers.

Well, we could debate if BKK is "unattractive' since 14 million people can't all be wrong....Personally. I love it in BKK. To each their own, yes?

Anyway, I really like your point about supply and demand. Yes, of course there must be enough work / profit for the vast numbers of cabs...or, as you have pointed out...they would go to the next best option for making money. This may be a boon for tuk tuk and motorcycle drivers who move many people and take up less road space. Of course, they will bump up rates a little...but we will still have the power to negotiate price. Often, on a short trip from BTS, a tuk tuk will say 35 baht, and I say...for 40 baht, i can sit in an air conditioned car. Now, it will will be a bit harder to sell that idea. at the end of the day, we are talking about (literally) ... pennies of difference. Mai pen rai.

• Like 1

ngv will go up only 2 baht/littre, so I don't see a reason, why there might be fare increase some 15-27% just for starting price.

if they are going to rise rates, they should make a decision now, because re-scalling some 100k taxi meters is a rather largish task. There will be a lot of confusion and a field to abuse by some drivers.

the only reason for setting the limit to the registered taxis operating in bkk is to justify fare increase and to keep fares high

If you just increase the per km or flagfall, the owners will just get out their calculator again and raise the rental price. This is what happened last time.

Not just the last time, but every time, the companies make the money, not the drivers.

When people counter attack development in order to make a profit, its called corruption. The Land of Smilesjap.gif

Bangkok taxis have meters? Most of my journeys seem to start with "no meter".

How long have you lived here? In the past year...once...I took a non-metered ride, since we needed to fill his cab and trunk with furniture.

Every time you do that, you cheat yourself, and train taxi drivers that Farang pay more.

No problems with the fare increase in any way but get the feeling that raising the start fare to around 50 baht will only increase the number of refusals. Better put it on the mileage to make it more attractive to the driver for long journeys.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think if the starting price goes up the refusal rate will go up dramaticly. This is obvious.hit-the-fan.gif

This is a really good observation, since short rides = profit. Hmmmm, I hope "they" put on the same thinking cap.

It is about time that Taxi tariffs went up. They are fixed on 35 baht for 20 years. All people complaining about the increase need to be cut 50% on their salary and that is only for inflation. Taxi drivers have seen their car rent go up, petrol prices rise dramatically and their cost of living. Without a decent fee, taxi rides will stay dangerous and attract the wrong kind of drivers, who have to work far too long hours to avoid accidents. The drivers would have deserved at the very least a doubling of their tariffs.

Try learning some Thai then. I had that happen to me only once in around a decade, when i was a total newbie and innocent abroad.

Really. Agreed. The hundreds of baht he is forking over can fund a few hours of Thai tutoring, and make it a lot more fun to live here...and not feel like a big fat wallet people pick, while laughing at you.

I wish they had considered regulating the rental price of the taxi to the driver.

While the yellow/green taxis are operated as a company, the solid-colour ones are rented to the driver at a daily rate. If you just increase the per km or flagfall, the owners will just get out their calculator again and raise the rental price. This is what happened last time.

Cheers

Yes, good point...if the driver is paying for the (more expensive) fuel...he should get the bump in price and place a cap on daily rental fees. God, those guys work so hard, for so many hours...for little pay.

Try learning some Thai then. I had that happen to me only once in around a decade, when i was a total newbie and innocent abroad.

I think you're being a bit harsh. If you try to catch a taxi from certain places at certain times, doesn't matter if you are fluent in Thai, or a native for that sake. Some of the drivers are just after ripping off tourists, or getting a certain commission from a certain venue. And they are not interested to take a few blocks for anything less than 200 Baht. A hike in the rate might actually benefit passengers.

Edited by mortenaa

Will they also increase their knowledge of their own city roads\sois? And the ability to speak English - regardless the pink sticker "Come on farang - Yes we can speak English!"?

Edited by alexakap
  • Like 1

I think you're being a bit harsh. If you try to catch a taxi from certain places at certain times, doesn't matter if you are fluent in Thai, or a native for that sake. Some of the drivers are just after ripping off tourists, or getting a certain commission from a certain venue. A hike in the rate might actually benefit passengers.

Ummmm...what he is saying is the truth. Learning basic, basic, basic Thai lowers prices all over town. How hard is this..."sawadee krup' Ja pai ____. Ok Mai? Kop khun kup." That is all it takes..in a nice even "I live here' voice. Really, go to any capital in the world, jump in a cab and say`"I am a tourist, I have no idea where i am...and not sure where i am going. No meter? Sure, I guess..OK" Then get ready to PAY.