Thai Taxi Meter Rates Set To Increase In Mid-April

webfact

Surely lowering the starting rate would lead to more users. and then increasing the per mile rate would only encourage increased abuse..

i say; improve the bus/rail networks and use the increased revenue to improve the roads which would/could justify increased take-see rates. As it is right now, there are over 20,000 known of unregistered 'taxis' how many would there be if the price was to jump to 45 bt for a km journey??

Moarrr!!

& even a certain %age of the registered ones are rip-offs, dangerous etc.

i still dont understand why the government supports the private traffic that much in Bangkok whilst in every other country in the world the government try to limit private traffic.

At least in Bangkok absolutely no one need a private car. The public traffic is one of the best in the world. But so many people use their private care causing a lot of traffic jam. They should wake up and install a city entrance fee for private cars.

Instead they lower prices for fuel like benzine and diesel which is used mostly by private cars and rise prices for gas which is used by taxis and many buses.

This dumb thai-government does just the opposite of what they should do if they wanted to act logically.

But as the people so the government...

And if they rise the rates many will think if not better to take the bus instead of the Taxi...

Apart from ocasionally apearing in the news for their crimes (I shall not mention, go google yourself with key word like Bangkok taxi rape murder rob etc), now they want a pay raise.

http://www.google.co...TH&cr=countryTH

Nothing like tarring a whole industry because of a couple of wrong uns. I am sure you could Google those words in any country in the world and you would have similar reports.

Bangkok taxis have meters? Most of my journeys seem to start with "no meter".

Try learning some Thai then. I had that happen to me only once in around a decade, when i was a total newbie and innocent abroad.

I think you're being a bit harsh. If you try to catch a taxi from certain places at certain times, doesn't matter if you are fluent in Thai, or a native for that sake. Some of the drivers are just after ripping off tourists, or getting a certain commission from a certain venue. And they are not interested to take a few blocks for anything less than 200 Baht. A hike in the rate might actually benefit passengers.

Having lived in the most touristy area of Bkk all my time there (Suk 11 and Suk 24) only an idiot falls for this after their second day. It's been discussed ad nauseum here. Never use a stationary cab outside tourist places, walk a block or so to get away from the nightlife and learn enough to say where you are going in Thai, and that's all you need.

If one still insists on no meter, get out and get the next one.

Once I exchange a few pleasantories - commenting on the morlam, askin about the football score or asking which part of isaan they are, I find them to be universally polite and friendly.

Never had an issue.

• Like 1

the startling price of a cab will be maintained at 35 baht

Obviously some people are more easily startled than others.

You obviously have not tried to get a METER CAB in Pattaya. They refuse to even start the meter,

Thank Heavens there are still "Baht Buses here.

PS. I laughed at that word too. clap2.gif

Apart from ocasionally apearing in the news for their crimes (I shall not mention, go google yourself with key word like Bangkok taxi rape murder rob etc), now they want a pay raise.

http://www.google.co...TH&cr=countryTH

What's your point? Try googling taxi rapist John Worboys too.

It happens everywhere.

Doesn't mean to say that the 99.9999% of taxi drivers around the world who don't rob or murder should be denied an honest living.

What is your job? Let's hope noone in your chosen career has ever been convicted of rape or murder . .

You obviously have not tried to get a METER CAB in Pattaya. They refuse to even start the meter,

And they will TELL YOU. "NO, we don't use meter". And they know nothing can be done, because "metered taxis" (a misnomer) are only on Pattaya streets because of an agreement with the baht bus mafia ... and to prevent the meters setting defacto rates for certain routes, they agreed not to use the meters.

i still dont understand why the government supports the private traffic that much in Bangkok whilst in every other country in the world the government try to limit private traffic.

You mean like the new car subsidies that was introduced into pretty much every western country - and definitely the US, UK and most of Europe - to encourage people to buy cars at the time the GFC started?

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole to stop one thinking, is there?

• Like 1

You'e been getting in the wrong cabs my friend!!!

The first thing I insist on is a meter - if they refuse then I wait until one that agrees comes along, after all, the law states that they MUST use the meter!!!!

Try learning some Thai then. I had that happen to me only once in around a decade, when i was a total newbie and innocent abroad.

I think you're being a bit harsh. If you try to catch a taxi from certain places at certain times, doesn't matter if you are fluent in Thai, or a native for that sake. Some of the drivers are just after ripping off tourists, or getting a certain commission from a certain venue. And they are not interested to take a few blocks for anything less than 200 Baht. A hike in the rate might actually benefit passengers.

Having lived in the most touristy area of Bkk all my time there (Suk 11 and Suk 24) only an idiot falls for this after their second day. It's been discussed ad nauseum here. Never use a stationary cab outside tourist places, walk a block or so to get away from the nightlife and learn enough to say where you are going in Thai, and that's all you need.

If one still insists on no meter, get out and get the next one.

Once I exchange a few pleasantories - commenting on the morlam, askin about the football score or asking which part of isaan they are, I find them to be universally polite and friendly.

Never had an issue.

Exactly what happened to me Friday night near the Nana BTS. I got in a taxi, he said B150 for about a B85 fare, I got out and got another taxi. Simple.

when i arrived at the airport i had to fight to get a taxi that would use the meter ??

why have the meter if you dont want to use it anyway

taxi reg number is 7707 and 1607 they both refused point blank to even use there meters i thought it was law here to use meters for torists

they need to sort out useing of meters first then look for a price rise TIT

Edited by newjobs61

while meter rates per mile will increase....finishing the sentence gives reason for being startled....

when i arrived at the airport i had to fight to get a taxi that would use the meter ??

why have te meter if you dont want to use it anyway

taxi reg is 7707 and 1607 they bith refused point blank to even use there meters i thought it was law here to use meters for torists

they need to sort out useing of meters first then look for a price rise TIT

It is very typical at the airport and late at night at popular tourist venues for taxis to refuse using the meter if they are in a queue. Just crossing the street or going to the arrivals section of the airport will provide those which will use the meter.

Ummmm...what he is saying is the truth. Learning basic, basic, basic Thai lowers prices all over town. How hard is this..."sawadee krup' Ja pai ____. Ok Mai? Kop khun kup." That is all it takes..in a nice even "I live here' voice. Really, go to any capital in the world, jump in a cab and say`"I am a tourist, I have no idea where i am...and not sure where i am going. No meter? Sure, I guess..OK" Then get ready to PAY.

I speak close to fluent Thai, and yes it helps. But not for Taxi's in certain areas, certain times of the day.

Actually, I'm fluent and been here 20 years. Try identifying some sarcasm when you see it.

How long have you lived here? In the past year...once...I took a non-metered ride, since we needed to fill his cab and trunk with furniture.

Every time you do that, you cheat yourself, and train taxi drivers that Farang pay more.

Only 20 years - I was being sarcastic.

You mean like the new car subsidies that was introduced into pretty much every western country - and definitely the US, UK and most of Europe - to encourage people to buy cars at the time the GFC started?

Nothing like a bit of hyperbole to stop one thinking, is there?

1.: New? At least in Europe theses subsidies are history and they were imposed to manage the 2008 crisis and didn't increase the number of cars as

2.: the deal for all the subsidies was: give ur old car and scrap it first, then the government support you to buy a new car

How could that increase traffic?

denkend_0001.gif

Not sure where you are using taxis but in 5 or 6 years, i have never once had a taxi who tried to scam me or tried to not use the meter.

+1 on that! I have great stories about BKK drivers, ranging from coming home to find that a driver had returned my wife's hat, to just the other day...late at night, 80 baht fare, and the driver turned in the darkness and said, "This is a 1,000 baht note...' Could have just handed me a 20 and driven off. And...there are more stories like this that i have experienced here like that. dropped 5,000 baht at JJ getting out my phone, and had a girl chase me 100 meters to return it. perhaps it is because I smile a bit, am polite and "go with the flow." and ... Thais are generally honest and generous people!
  • Like 2

Why not 100 Baht flat rate anywhere to anywhere in Bangkok, buffet style.

This ensure the driver use the shortest route.

Also avoid the "no meter" or "fixed meter" problem.

Edited by sparebox2

How long have you lived here? In the past year...once...I took a non-metered ride, since we needed to fill his cab and trunk with furniture.

Every time you do that, you cheat yourself, and train taxi drivers that Farang pay more.

Only 20 years - I was being sarcastic.Seems like the joke was lost on many of us...mai pen rai, krup.

Well I don't know about you but I'm startled to be able to buy a cab for 35 baht. I think I'll buy my own fleet.

Not sure where you are using taxis but in 5 or 6 years, i have never once had a taxi who tried to scam me or tried to not use the meter.

+1 on that! I have great stories about BKK drivers, ranging from coming home to find that a driver had returned my wife's hat, to just the other day...late at night, 80 baht fare, and the driver turned in the darkness and said, "This is a 1,000 baht note...' Could have just handed me a 20 and driven off. And...there are more stories like this that i have experienced here like that. dropped 5,000 baht at JJ getting out my phone, and had a girl chase me 100 meters to return it. perhaps it is because I smile a bit, am polite and "go with the flow." and ... Thais are generally honest and generous people!

Indeed. Never had a problem with a bangkok cab using his meter. Sometimes they don't turn it on initially (unusual), but a pleasant suggestion that they turn it on always resulted in it being turned on.

My Thai is limited, but being polite and friendly is generally understood.

Actually, I'm fluent and been here 20 years. Try identifying some sarcasm when you see it.

OK, when I see it, and it is funny, I will send a post. I am not the only one who replied. Sorry, we are not in your head...read it again from our perspective. How is that sarcastic or funny if we do not know your history?

Only 20 years - I was being sarcastic.Seems like the joke was lost on many of us...mai pen rai, krup.Tuk dong, krup pom. I probably should have used a smiley thingy with that one!

OK, when I see it, and it is funny, I will send a post. I am not the only one who replied. Sorry, we are not in your head...read it again from our perspective. How is that sarcastic or funny if we do not know your history?Agreed. No worries.

Why not 100 Baht flat rate anywhere to anywhere in Bangkok, buffet style.

This ensure the driver use the shortest route.

Also avoid the "no meter" or "fixed meter" problem.

LOL...no.............That would only increase the number of refusals for any trip over 2 kilometers! OMG. Think about it! too funny!